Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Locadia tonight

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
Everyone having a go at Locadia is ridiculous. He's obviously very rusty yet still came within inches of heading the equaliser. It was only a brilliant save that stopped it.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
To save us all some time soon

Andone is shithouse because he didn't score in his first 20 mins on the field.

Andone is the new messiah because he scored in his first 20 mins on the field.

Delete as applicable.

Let's be clear, whatever Andone is, he's probably not shithouse (extremely unpleasant and lacking in morals) - he still might be shit (unlikely).

In other news, though Locadia was pretty poor, he still, against all odds, did pretty well on the header that was saved and eventually led to our equaliser. Implies to me that with confidence and chances, he'll score goals.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Everyone having a go at Locadia is ridiculous. He's obviously very rusty yet still came within inches of heading the equaliser. It was only a brilliant save that stopped it.
No it isn't ridiculous at all, because he hasn't been very good. And that was a shit header - he was unmarked and 4 yards out, he should have absolutely buried it. Not as bad as Propper's header but still poor.

As it goes, I'm happy enough not to give up on Locadia simply because Chris Hughton isn't, and he is a man whose judgement I trust and who must like what he sees in attitude and in training. But don't tell me it's "ridiculous" to point out that Locadia was shithouse on Monday, because he was. He blew a promising 3 on 3 by treading on the ball, he missed a free header, and he nearly cost us the game at the end by lazily giving the ball away and then fouling their striker in a promising position. In fact, if you asked the player himself he'd probably say the same - players are usually the first to know when they've been gash.

You don't have to be a happy clapper to be supportive of the club, and pointing out Locadia was toilet is fair enough.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Some of these goals are quite routine but there are plenty that are splendidly taken.

[yt]PdC-ybyr3ds&t=120s[/yt]

If he's showing the right attitude in training, I can see why Hughton is keeping faith. He probably does need game time though, not just to get up to speed but also to inject some self-belief back into him.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
same with all our gash players .

These threads could be about any of the failures ie o grady etc

people see he will be a flop early but until the majority see it they get slated .

Looks like we are approaching majority and a few key posters so bandwagon under way.

For me , I called he wont work for us a few appearances ago , still could be ok but lets face it , its very unlikely.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
He will score a absolute worldly and all will be right with the world .

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Its a very difficult thing to manage. Survival in the PL depends on performances against the other 12-14 teams. Can you afford to play somebody in a pivotal role - ie scoring goals - for four or five games until he shows if he is good enough or not. In some ways a player like Izzy can be given more time. If he fluffs up 5 chances to cross the ball in a game then there is AK on the other side who could also have 5 chances of an assist. If a striker misses 5 chances in a game you are not going to get many points. He could be played against the big 6 but with the increase in quality would that prove anything. I think he started v Man U in the cup, at Liverpool and Palace last season and he didn't really impress then.

Who would be a manager

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
He will score a absolute worldly and all will be right with the world .

Skalak did that, didn't save him from the NSC lynch mob..........:D

There have been fleeting glimpses of a decent player in Locadia, and to be fair to him he's not really had a fair crack of the whip yet. He was particularly poor on Monday though - his confidence must be rock-bottom. Whether CH still thinks he'll make the grade I don't know.....with Andone (and Jose) out, he's got limited sub options so has to keep him in and use him for now. Would love Locadia to get some proper game time, a goal or two and see how he plays with a bit of confidence behind him, but too much more like Monday and he sadly won't get the chance. The slightly bizarre thing for me is that he just isn't suited to our normal setup - he simply can't play the Murray role because he can't hold the ball up anything like as well, and is crap with his head. Feels to me like he's replaced Baldock (ie similar style of player - running between defenders onto the ball, creating space for others etc) - who couldn't get a game either.........

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Are we allowed to have a go at him for being massively lazy? Murray consistently does far more chasing down than him, and is over 10 years older. Fair enough if his confidence is low but how does that excuse not even trying?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
Feels to me like he's replaced Baldock (ie similar style of player - running between defenders onto the ball, creating space for others etc) - who couldn't get a game either.........

:lolol:

Wouldn't he have to actually run at some point to attempt the Baldock role?! Murray was giving him both barrels again on Monday for not bothering to close down.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
:lolol:

Wouldn't he have to actually run at some point to attempt the Baldock role?! Murray was giving him both barrels again on Monday for not bothering to close down.

Yep, that's partly why I thought he was particularly crap on Monday. In the other games I've watched him he at least did some of that.......

Horses Arse

Jun 25, 2004
here and there

Yep, he got his head to the ball. Was it a good header? Not really although there was a strong challenge admittedly. I don't think the criticism is ridiculous at all, he's had backing there's been no audible dissent yet he's offered very little and is getting worse. Monday night and his sheer panic at having a route to goal that led to him stepping on the ball and falling over was the last straw for me; He's going backwards.

If his confidence is that frail then ship him out on loan - perhaps a swap with Hemed..... Really don't want to see him tried again unless Murray and Andone are both crocked. Actually, I'd have Victor in before Locadia even then.

Farehamseagull

Solly March Fan Club
Nov 22, 2007
Sarisbury Green, Southampton
Are we allowed to have a go at him for being massively lazy? Murray consistently does far more chasing down than him, and is over 10 years older. Fair enough if his confidence is low but how does that excuse not even trying?

But he did chase back. The only problem was when he did he gave away the free kick at the end they nearly scored from!

He's obviously not had a great start with us but I still think there's a player there, he really needs more game time and a shot of confidence. I actually thought he was unlucky with the header, he was stretching and being blocked by a defender so couldn't get much power on it but did everything right by heading it down and in my opinion, McCarthy made a fantastic save.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
But he did chase back.

Overall, his work rate with us so far has been absolutely shocking. Numerous times have I seen Murray give him both barrels for failing to chase down defenders.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Perhaps that is the problem GM is ruining his confidence.

We need a new thread on reasons Locadia is not performing to his potential:
1. Not enough starts or minutes on pitch
2. Wrong tactics by the rest of the team
3. GM ruining his confidence by scoring goals and being effective
4. Confidence undermined with better players being selected ahead of him
5. Expectations of being able to run with the ball, shoot on target and pass to team mates is too high
6. Doesn't like balls into him
7. Doesn't like balls over him
8. Doesn't like balls he has to run on to
9. Doesn't like balls that need controlling
10. Doesn't like balls that need heading
[add as necessary]

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports