Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

The Clamp

NSC Licker Extraordinaire
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Oh right. But what argument are you going to advance by calling everyone who disagrees you a thicko?

Apart from anything else, not everyone who is uneducated is thick. And I can think of plenty of educated people who are incredibly stupid.

Well, get yourself all wound up then, up to you.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Clearly I'm not wound up at all, I'm just pointing out how cringeworthy you come across. :shrug:

Do you know what "wound up" means?

Righto. I see where this is going. Not today, you’l have to get a new hobby. I’m off to visit Cave du Fromage and have a cream tea.
TBTC.

Herr Tubthumper

Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Oh right. But what argument are you going to advance by calling everyone who disagrees you a thicko?

Apart from anything else, not everyone who is uneducated is thick. And I can think of plenty of educated people who are incredibly stupid.

To be fair, The Clamp didn’t label all leavers as thickos. He said Farage fooled the thickos. A lot of the stuff Farage peddles is ill-informed and, as we are seeing, does not stand up to scrutiny. So it most likely did fool those leavers who are a bit dim.

The Clamp

Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
To be fair, The Clamp didn’t label all leavers as thickos. He said Farage fooled the thickos. A lot of the stuff Farage peddles is ill-informed and, as we are seeing, does not stand up to scrutiny. So it most likely did fool those leavers who are a bit dim.

No, no. I think ALL Leave voters are thickos . But as I have always stated , I think most remain voters are too thick for such an important question. Should never have been put to the people. But you make a good point.

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
If you wont answer [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION], then please can you tell me whether you want chequers or no deal, as I am unaware of your position on this. Alternatively, if this is too much please refer to me the post where you have answered the rather precise question.

Thanks

Already given you an answer to your daft question, continuing to ask the same stupid question when you have already had an answer must be the definition of something.
Why do you continue to omit the Article 50 withdrawal deal when you ask it?
Don’t think you really understand what it is you think you are asking.

larus

Hi HT.

Been avoiding this thread for a little bit again as it gets nowhere. As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] (a remainer) has pointed out the standard response of lots on the Remain side is to accuse the leave voters of being "Thick, Racist, Xenophobes" who didn't understand what they were voting for. You yourself have a track record of the same too which really doesn't help any sensible debate on here, albeit not as bad the The Clamp. He then has the audacity to say that others should 'Keep it light' after he's thrown his insults around.

As regards Brexit/No Deal/WTO and the NI border, I see that the EU have finally admitted that the border checks need not be done at the border. Hmm, when I was suggesting this, lots of people were saying I didn't have a clue. Funny that the point I was making has not been espoused by Barnier. [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION], so we have to have a hard border eh!

Mr Barnier said he was keen to “de-dramatise” the goods checks which would be needed and make most of them away from the border.

“We are clarifying which goods arriving into Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK would need to be checked, and where, when and by whom.

“We can also clarify that most checks can take place away from the border, at the company premises or in the market.”

It comes as David Davis, the former Brexit Secretary, said the EU is “softening” on its stance on Northern Ireland, and are starting to accept methods of checks away from the border which it “refused to accept six months ago”.

And on that note, I'm back out of this. Can't be bothered with all of the insults and twisting of facts.

daveinplzen

Aug 31, 2018
Hi HT.

Been avoiding this thread for a little bit again as it gets nowhere. As [MENTION=232]Simster[/MENTION] (a remainer) has pointed out the standard response of lots on the Remain side is to accuse the leave voters of being "Thick, Racist, Xenophobes" who didn't understand what they were voting for. You yourself have a track record of the same too which really doesn't help any sensible debate on here, albeit not as bad the The Clamp. He then has the audacity to say that others should 'Keep it light' after he's thrown his insults around.

As regards Brexit/No Deal/WTO and the NI border, I see that the EU have finally admitted that the border checks need not be done at the border. Hmm, when I was suggesting this, lots of people were saying I didn't have a clue. Funny that the point I was making has not been espoused by Barnier. [MENTION=396]WATFORD zero[/MENTION], so we have to have a hard border eh!

Mr Barnier said he was keen to “de-dramatise” the goods checks which would be needed and make most of them away from the border.

“We are clarifying which goods arriving into Northern Ireland from the rest of the UK would need to be checked, and where, when and by whom.

“We can also clarify that most checks can take place away from the border, at the company premises or in the market.”

It comes as David Davis, the former Brexit Secretary, said the EU is “softening” on its stance on Northern Ireland, and are starting to accept methods of checks away from the border which it “refused to accept six months ago”.

And on that note, I'm back out of this. Can't be bothered with all of the insults and twisting of facts.

From the SAME article..

''British officials have already described it as "unacceptable" and a threat to the constitutional integrity of the UK.

It's unlikely to loosen the deadlock at the Salzburg summit. Though Mr Barnier is already looking past that, describing the next EU leaders meeting in Brussels in October as the "moment of truth" for Brexit.''

pb21

Apr 23, 2010
Hi HT.

From the SAME article..

''British officials have already described it as "unacceptable" and a threat to the constitutional integrity of the UK.

It's unlikely to loosen the deadlock at the Salzburg summit. Though Mr Barnier is already looking past that, describing the next EU leaders meeting in Brussels in October as the "moment of truth" for Brexit.''

It also seems that the DUP aren't exactly enthusiastic about this either.

DncMnCsX0AAP055.jpg

https://www.theguardian.com/politic...b0f675819f417c#block-5ba207c9e4b0f675819f417c

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
It also seems that the DUP aren't exactly enthusiastic about this either.

One thing that always remains constant in politics is that the DUP will start a fight in a phone box about anything. It's inbred in their genes (file under Paisley, I).

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex

Theresa May said on Monday:

You don’t solve the issue of no hard border by having a hard border 20 kilometres inside Northern Ireland or 20 kilometres inside Ireland - it is still a hard border.

Simon Coveney said on Monday:

We take our lead from the British prime minister. She has been clear that technology does not solve this problem just like we have been clear that it doesn’t, just like the Brexit committee in Westminster has also been clear that there is no technological solution to the Irish Border question.

Unsurprisingly The Times is now reporting that May will reject Barnier's proposal -

Theresa May will today reject Michel Barnier’s “improved” offer to solve the Irish border issue, warning that it still violates Britain’s red lines.

The EU’s chief negotiator said yesterday that the EU was preparing to table a new “backstop” proposal that he hoped the government would be able to support.

He said the new plan would not involve customs checks in the Irish Sea and would respect the “territorial integrity of the UK”.

But a senior government source said that Mr Barnier had still not dropped his insistence that Northern Ireland be treated as a separate customs jurisdiction from the rest of the United Kingdom.

“Any backstop will have to respect our red line that there is not a customs border in the Irish Sea,” they said.

“Mr Barnier has not said anything to suggest that his position has changed on that.”

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/theresa-may-to-reject-improved-eu-offer-on-irish-border-3mwvjzg2r

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
One thing that always remains constant in politics is that the DUP will start a fight in a phone box about anything. It's inbred in their genes (file under Paisley, I).

I don't disagree with you, but in this case their own red-line (that NI is not treated any differently to the rest of the UK) is understandable. The fact that a border in the Irish sea with NI in the EU would solve the problem doesn't matter to them, and nor does the fact that NI voted to remain. They are all about the UK remaining the UK as it has always been.

They are pain in the arse, but May thought it was worth the price in order to prop up her own useless, incompetent government. Now of course, their intransigence is stopping a sensible Brexit deal getting done, and why we might well end up heading for another referendum.

Ernest

Stupid IDIOT
Nov 8, 2003
LOONEY BIN
The interesting thing would be if a second referendum/peoples vote was called to get the Tories out of this mess of their own making and again the vote was to leave the EU, even if it meant no deal. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened all the time May is in charge of things, she makes anything toxic and if she said back the Chequers deal or go with no deal I can see no deal winning

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
The interesting thing would be if a second referendum/peoples vote was called to get the Tories out of this mess of their own making and again the vote was to leave the EU, even if it meant no deal. I wouldn't be surprised if that happened all the time May is in charge of things, she makes anything toxic and if she said back the Chequers deal or go with no deal I can see no deal winning

Your posts on this thread absolutely baffle me. You voted Brexit, and the shambles we are seeing unfold would be far easier to accept if only your Labour party had presented any sort of alternative negotiation. They never did of course, because they love the idea of power - sniping at the Tories with no alternative like 19 year old students - but in no way look anything other than clueless themselves. Your constant sniping at May precisely mirrors the utter crapness of Corbyn and the rest of the Labour front bench.

For the rest of us, it is all horribly depressing that Brexit is serving to highlight just how useless and incompetent our two big parties are these days. In all my years and with the benefit of hindsight, I don't think we've ever seen such levels at shambolic incompetence in both parties at the same time.

Jan 30, 2008

do you know how to boil an egg?
regards
DR

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
From the SAME article.'

I did read the whole article and was just trying to point out that his 'line drawn in the sand' of last month has suddenly become a bit more flexible,as he wakes up to the reality of no-deal Brexit looming ever larger.Perhaps he sees his pension bonus shrinking a bit?

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
No, no. I think ALL Leave voters are thickos . But as I have always stated , I think most remain voters are too thick for such an important question. Should never have been put to the people. But you make a good point.

Perhaps you might be happier living in Venezuela.You are obviously no fan of democracy.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Link Here