Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Which one of our BIG Eredivisie signings took his chance last night?

Who impressed against Southampton?

• Both Locadia and Jahanbakhsh

Votes: 3 2.6%
  • Just Locadia

Votes: 13 11.2%
  • Just Jahanbakhsh

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • Neither of them

Votes: 95 81.9%

• Total voters

Shooting Star

Apr 29, 2011
Suffolk
Re: Locadia, I hope above all this is a lesson to all our fans last January who were desperate that we would sign any player under the sun as long as he was a striker.

As it was, I never think games like these are overly helpful in accurately assessing players. Clearly Ali J and Locadia aren't quite good enough at the moment to be in the starting XI, so you can't expect to put them in a mixed team of subs/reserves and to have staggering performances with a B-list supporting cast.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
Have people not learned from slagging off new signings at the start of last season? Ryan, Propper et al were all consigned to the bin after the Leicester away game by some people. Jahanbakhsh will be a quality player for us, he just needs game time to get up to speed. As for Locadia, well the jury is out for me, I'm just not sure where he fits into our team seeing as we seem to play just 1 striker. He certainly isn't in the same mould as Murray or Andone.

spanish flair

Jan 30, 2014
Brighton
Nope. I’m away and was out of a signal area for the entire game.

I’m hoping for some sort of sign that Locadia is not just a Premier League Elvis Manu.

I’m willing to give Ali J a little more time before I consign him to the same dustbin.
Comparing Manu to Locadia is a little unfair on Manu who did at least put in some effort

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It's next to 'Vote Now' button, so you can view results without having to vote. Obviously you won't be able to see it now you've voted. Not sure if viewing mediums can affect its appearance.

Many thanks for that :thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Voted for the neutral option, of neither, as I wasn't at game, and only in spirit on Seagulls TV, where this was about as much of an effect as our attacking threat!

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
I thought they were both poor.

I’m not sure if Locadia is rubbish or just being played out of position. Inclined to the former.

It’s all very well saying Ali J needs time to bed in but it’s going to be quite a while if he keeps playing like that. He did nothing apart from give 5he ball away

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
Underwhelmed by both of them.

Bissouma looks a class act and I'm excited by him, but Locardia just isn't a lone striker. He was much better when he played out wide. Jahanbakhsh still looks like he is finding his feet. He had odd moments of promise, but needs more time.

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Locadia clearly can`t play up top on his own.

Ali J was average at best, a couple of decent touches but can`t remember him getting past Targett once.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
No one in their right mind can write off Ali on the basis of one game. Locadia however, is now in his 2nd season and clearly hasn't shown enough to break into the team consistently. I'm still not sure exactly what he is? A LW or a striker, he doesn't seem to try to find space as an attacker would do and as a winger his crossing is poor and his only weapon appears to be pace. It'll be interesting to see whether he can get into the 18 once Izzy and Andone are fit?

pishhead

Jul 9, 2003
Everywhere
Locadia and Jahanbakhsh look like they need to be playing on the flanks in an offensive front 3. Izquierdo looked the same when he arrived however he adapted. I do wonder if we will try a more natural 433 this season.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Bit harsh to judge them too hard in a game where the manager sent out a pretty clear statement re the significance he attached to the game through his team selection.

Lush

Mods' Pet
JL - Could be taught to play a system, but never going to win a lot in the air on this showing. Slight tendency to stop and strop if his run isn't spotted.

AJ - out muscled

Both need to toughen up for the Premier League IMO.

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Two big money signings with points to prove.

I wasn't there, so please let me know: which one took their chance to impress, and give Hughton a selection headache for Saturday?

Neither.

Have been supportive of Locadia, but although little service, his actual movement was disappointing for me.

He was tired towards the end and begun to remind me of.................. Elvis Manu!

AJ - I was really disappointed. Way too early to judge and hope he will improve.

As per the AJ transfer thread, although Propper has been ok, I don’t rate Dutch football and hope to be proved wrong, in that there are quality players who can adapt to a higher level of football.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Both did ok for first outings of the season against good opposition.

Ali suffered from having Collar behind him, who it seemed could not pass the ball forward.

And Locadia was largely isolated.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Locadia clearly can`t play up top on his own.

Ali J was average at best, a couple of decent touches but can`t remember him getting past Targett once.
The worry is Ali j is just not fast enough. Even the Iranian fans were saying he's not a speed merchant when we signed him.

We could have got adomah for similar money.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here