Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Brexit

If there was a second Brexit referendum how would you vote?

• Total voters

D

Deleted member 22389

I hope the EU issue a few early shots across the bows to bring some of the Tory muppets down to earth. They need to realise these discussions are going to be difficult.

Don't think that will happen. Absolutely no need to be ********s and vice versa, this isn't a war. It benefits nobody.

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
My opinion, which is why I am glad we are getting out. Obviously you will view it differently on account of your location.
I wonder how the other countries will feel taking up the slack caused by the UK not throwing cash in. As we know the UK gets nowhere near the amount back that they put in.
Or will Germany put in the shortfall.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Wait and see how much we pay to be part of things we want to remain involved in, this time without a rebate.

Two Professors

Two Mad Professors
Jul 13, 2009
Multicultural Brum
The fact that geographic name for the island our nation occupies is Great Britain but if the Scots leave we will only occupy part of it mean anything to you?

Perhaps we could change our name to "QuiteALotofGreatBritain" although it wouldn't look very good on an Olympic vest. "The United Kingdom of England, Wales and just for the moment a bit of Ireland" would be even clunkier.

We were Brittania without Hibernia and Caledonii 2000 years ago,so why should change,even if we revert to the bits the Romans named?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My opinion, which is why I am glad we are getting out. Obviously you will view it differently on account of your location.
I wonder how the other countries will feel taking up the slack caused by the UK not throwing cash in. As we know the UK gets nowhere near the amount back that they put in.
Or will Germany put in the shortfall.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

I don't view it differently due to my location at all. I view it differently because I'm, generally and broadly speaking, an inclusive, outward looking and cooperative person. I can also see the myriad benefits the EU brings to all manner of economic and cultural areas via cooperation, streamlining, funding etc. But this is fine. I'm reconciled to the fact you guys are leaving. I just hope the EU gets the best deal for us and we go on to be stronger and more integrated. I hope you get what you want.

JC Footy Genius

Bringer of TRUTH
Jun 9, 2015
This 'before the will of the people is enacted' clause of yours interests me. How does it work? We don't know for sure how the Brexit talks will go - they could go well, they could (pace Mrs May's 'No deal is better than a bad deal') go badly. Two questions therefore...

1. If they do go badly why do you think that it is acceptable to ask people for their view the day after we cast ourselves loose - but the action of undemocratic extreme loons to ask them the day before, when there would remain at least a theoretical possibility of us not doing so?

2. Do you agree with May that it would be unfair to ask the Scottish people for their views on independence when the shape of the Brexit deal is still unknown?

For clause see democracy. A majority vote for something and their decision will be implemented as promised by the government.

1.) Can you define badly? This second referendum wheeze, dreamt up by the Lib Dems, only after the result didn't go their way, has bog all to do with democracy and everything to do with their desperation after the wipe out at the last GE. This was so transparent even some Lib Dems resigned in disgust. As a certain P Ashdown said on the night of the vote “Any people who retreat into ‘we’re coming back for second one’ – they don’t believe in democracy." Obviously, after we have left the EU, fulfilling the wishes of the majority, arguing and campaigning for another referendum or rejoining is entirely democratic.

2.) The SNP are predictably trying to exploit the situation but a clear majority of Scots don't want a second referendum before we leave according to numerous polls.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
We were Brittania without Hibernia and Caledonii 2000 years ago,so why should change,even if we revert to the bits the Romans named?

Little England has a certain ring and accuracy to it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I wonder if when the Tory party decided to call a referendum to think they would for once and for all shut up the eurosceptics in their party and kill of farrige and his band actually realised that indirectly, it would lead to not only us breaking away from our largest trading partner, trashing the pound and push up inflation but it would also lead to a breakup of the United Kingdom.

So presumably in a few years time we will have to redesign the passports to say " the United Kingdom of England, wales and Northern Ireland"

Btw do I take it that when this is all sorted, if my BMW goes wrong or my wife's peugoet , the parts will be that much dearer as they will have to be imported from the fatherland etc, with a devalued pound and import tariffs?

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
One hour to go then until the paper is delivered in Brussels giving us Brexit for our time.

195132_5_.jpg

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
SERIOUS QUESTION TIME

on bbc breakfast they have been going around interviewing the great British public, and those of my age, approaching retirement of retired have all to a man said that by voting brexit, we will make Britain great again!

Can someone give me some clue as to when they are talking about? Assuming we have been in th EU since the early seventies, it must have been in th period after the war to the 70's. Well we were in horrendous depression until around the mid sixties, so presumably, unless they are expecting a new British Empire, they are referring to the time between say 1966 to say 1974Ish?

When did you think that Britain was actually great on the world trading stage?

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
He was saying yesterday he wants immigration tightening but already this almost certainly looks like it's not going to happen. Officially, the government is sticking to its ambition to get net migration down to the tens of thousands. But on the BBC’s Question Time on Monday night, David Davis said immigration levels will not come down consistently after Britain leaves the EU. The Brexit secretary admitted some UK industries “depend on migrants” and that means inward migration from the EU will rise as well as fall.

Still, the penny appears to have finally dropped with the British government - that the EU holds all the aces, and it is not in their interests to give us a favourable deal. Whatever happens, we will be worse off under Brexit. Hopefully the British electorate will never forgive the Tories for this absolute mess, even the people who voted for Brexit and end up looking for someone to blame.

As and when he said, in other words the economy will decide I would have thought.

Yoda

English & European
That's ok, I have stated it before, but seeing as you missed it.
"making our own rules on business deals, ie tariffs which currently as part of the EU customs union stops the UK being able to do its own trade deals with other countries".
Obviously at the moment our hands are tied which contributes to the points made in your post.

Thank's for that Soulman, and as a remainer, that is the only argument from the leavers that I tend to agree with.
It is stupid that we cannot make our own deals as well as being part of the EEC, but was their no way this could be pushed through the EU by our MEP's?
I honestly don't know as we used to get so little info from them, just look at the turnout for voting whenever we had to elect a new one in this country. 30% would be the average. Shows how much interest people actually took when it came to electing people to go there on our behalf to vote on rules put forward by the Commission.

Soulman

Oct 22, 2012
Sompting
Little England has a certain ring and accuracy to it?

This is where you slip up HT, the other day whilst giving the UK position you stated "you", not us, so I assume you are speaking from a viewpoint of Germany, which is why the "Little England" phrase regularity pops into your conversation.

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
Are you Mystic Meg?[emoji38]ol:
Only in the sense that I see no deal is possible with the EU before the next UK election. [emoji38]ol:

Whether this means we leave with no deal, or the negotiations go on until after the next UK election... I have no idea.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here