Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Human kindness

boik

I one got stopped by a girl with a puppy asking if I could spare any money for dog food. Being suspicious I said no, but then popped into the shop and went back to her with 2 tins of dog food. She was so incredibly grateful that I'm not sure if it was a genuine request or not. At least the dog did OK out of it.

Boroseagull

Aug 23, 2003
Alhaurin de la Torre
There is a similar scam running at Malaga airport, and involves 'I've lost my wallet/purse, could you give me 5 euros to urgently contact my son/daughter to help'. One of them has a tatty old bag on an airport trolley, the other one running the scam doesn't even bother with that. It's amazing that people in a hurry, feeling stressed at airports just dole out the cash!

BBassic

I changed this.
Jul 28, 2011
mu9kx14k25hx.jpg

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
It is normally really hard to tell the difference between those who are generally in need and those who are pulling some kind of scam. One way to tell is that if a person is genuine then they a) tend not to stop you in the street to ask for money and b) will be more grateful for some actual food then your spare change.

Where my partner used to live there was a homeless guy who used to sleep just down the road from her. She used to walk past him every day while out walking her dog. Each morning she would make him a flask of coffee and a sandwich for which he was always thankful. She would then pick-up the flask that night ready for the next day. The day she moved she did the same in the morning but was not there that night to collect the flask. A few months later she was back in the area and went to check he was okay. The first thing he did was dig in to his bag and bring out her flask. When asked he said that he knew she was moving but also knew that he would see her again at some point and it was only right that he kept her flask safe for her.

I have a rule of not giving money to homeless people / beggars. When I can I am happy to buy them a sandwich or something and if they are truly homeless then they will appreciate that as much as any money you may give them.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Unfortunately this sort of incident, which was basically a set up, will detract from the real cases that are out there.
Rather than discerning between the two, people might stop helping out at all, rather than having the feeling of potentially being turned over.

Indeed. Once you've been scammed, you are unlikely to help out the next time, which may be a genuine case. I don't give money to any beggars now, just because the I saw the guy, who used to be on London Bridge every day, get into a car and drive off - obviously didn't nee the money. That one experience has put me off helping anyone else out. Shame really, but i doubt these days are any different to any other time - there are good people and there are bad people.

There are good people who do bad things and there are bad people who do good things, just the way of the world.

The Kid Frankie

Sep 5, 2012
These days it seems few and far between. The other day I was in a petrol station in Peacehaven and some rough looking women was coming out with some story about card being declined but wages should have been paid in blah blah. Anyway after 10 minutes (and more importantly my coffee going cold) the girl behind the jumps refused to accept her word, card or story.

She was really in a state basically begging for someone to help and loan her £30. I said no, everyone else said no but as I was getting into the car I thought I cant do it . Right or wrong it was only £30 so went back in gave it to her. I knew it , she knew it, but when she promised me to return it later that night, there was more chance of us signing Ronaldo.

Sad thing about it is that she robbed someone prepared to help her.

Got to be CCTV in the petrol station. Worth reporting and getting her face splattered all over social media.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Got to be CCTV in the petrol station. Worth reporting and getting her face splattered all over social media.

Why ? She didn't steal anything, she was given the money. Yes, there was essentially a verbal contract to return it, but nothing that would stand up in court. The OP was kind, she abused it, so what, sh*t happens.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I know a lot of my fellow commuters when getting to London headed to the local pret or coffee shop and buy an extra coffee or sandwich for the homeless people around there. Sometimes, the poor buggers must have been sick to death of skinny cappuccino and ham and cheese croissant.

Especially
If they're a vegetarian or a vegan even :nono:

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
The ones I'll usually give money to are the ones who stroll up and just say "Look mate, I'm on me arse and I need a bit of change, can you help?"

I don't mind them. The whole "Oh I need 30p to get a bus back to pick up my daughter from nursery". No. F**k off.

yes quite. A bloke asked me if I could spare a quid recently so I just gave him some change. I can't stand 'I've lost my train ticket and have no money cr*p'

Adders1

Jan 14, 2013
Last week I was walking my dog and this bloke stops me and asks " 'Ere mate, got any spare Rizlas?".
"No mate, I don't smoke." I replied
"F*** you!" was his response.
It was 6.30 in the morning so not the sort of pissed up comment you would expect at that time of day. I turned to him and just said
"F*** you too!", and walked off. Not the sort of thing I would have normally said or done, and probably not the response he was expecting. There could have been repercussions but I was just annoyed that someone could gob off at you for no reason and think that was ok.

Very similar scenario here in Sydney. Stepped off the very long bus journey i had to take and lit up a smoke, and a lady in a tracksuit complimented by a dressing gown with a picture of a wolf on the back asks me for one.
By chance this was my last one and i apologised (why we brits apologise in these circumstances is beyond me, but usually i have no problems sharing)

I was met with in a bogan accent "Yeah yeah its the last one! Its always the fackin last one i hope you get cancer you caaaaaaannnt' as i was walking away

So i turned around, apologised again, and said "maybe i have one". Then pretended to fumble around in my pockets, and gave her the slow middle finger, fag still in mouth. Im not proud of this, but there are some professional beggars in Sydney. Also, she tried to punch me and connected a bit.

OzMike

Oct 2, 2006
Perth Australia
When I was living in Brighton I remember a tall bearded homeless guy use to walk around the Lanes asking for '10p for a cup off coffee'.
I gave him 20p and asked him to get me one.

golddene

Jul 28, 2012
Very similar scenario here in Sydney. Stepped off the very long bus journey i had to take and lit up a smoke, and a lady in a tracksuit complimented by a dressing gown with a picture of a wolf on the back asks me for one.
By chance this was my last one and i apologised (why we brits apologise in these circumstances is beyond me, but usually i have no problems sharing)

I was met with in a bogan accent "Yeah yeah its the last one! Its always the fackin last one i hope you get cancer you caaaaaaannnt' as i was walking away

So i turned around, apologised again, and said "maybe i have one". Then pretended to fumble around in my pockets, and gave her the slow middle finger, fag still in mouth. Im not proud of this, but there are some professional beggars in Sydney. Also, she tried to punch me and connected a bit.

Why didn't you give her the butt? I'm sure she'd have appreciated that more than your middle finger. You mean fecker thought I'd brought you up better than that. X

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
These days it seems few and far between. The other day I was in a petrol station in Peacehaven and some rough looking women was coming out with some story about card being declined but wages should have been paid in blah blah. Anyway after 10 minutes (and more importantly my coffee going cold) the girl behind the jumps refused to accept her word, card or story.

She was really in a state basically begging for someone to help and loan her £30. I said no, everyone else said no but as I was getting into the car I thought I cant do it . Right or wrong it was only £30 so went back in gave it to her. I knew it , she knew it, but when she promised me to return it later that night, there was more chance of us signing Ronaldo.

Sad thing about it is that she robbed someone prepared to help her.

I believe there is a procedure of some kind in case of card refusal in all garages. I think you have to fill out a form and give reams of details about yourself and the vehicle and they then give you a week or so to pay, Pretty sure this sort of thing occurs daily in most petrol stations.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
A girl came up to me and a group of people at a bus stop in North Street at 11pm, asking for money for a B&B. I told her to go to the night shelter run by St Peters & Christ the King. She was not happy, because no one gave her money.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Why ? She didn't steal anything, she was given the money. Yes, there was essentially a verbal contract to return it, but nothing that would stand up in court. The OP was kind, she abused it, so what, sh*t happens.

A contract is a contract whether it was verbal or written, so long as there is a reliable witness to the conversation then as a contract it would stand up in court.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
I used to live in Shepherds Bush the usual was a pretty girl walking around with an empty petrol can asking for a fiver, if you offered to drive them to the petrol station and fill the can they would just walk off disgruntled :lolol:

Something very similar on Edgeware Rd in London. Same woman, in space of a couple of months. First time she was carrying (conveniently) kids books under her arm saying she needed money to get back to her kids or summat. Then the second time it was the 'my kids are in a car and I've run out of petrol' line. If I see her again I'm going to 'out' her to anyone she approaches. She was smart, so not homeless - I'm not paying for whatever habit she has.

The Birdman

Nov 30, 2008
Haywards Heath
When I was living in Brighton I remember a tall bearded homeless guy use to walk around the Lanes asking for '10p for a cup off coffee'.
I gave him 20p and asked him to get me one.

Same guy worked St James Street I think he's the one who was a bright student and then found drugs a very sad story.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here