First Choice Back 4??

Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

chalkmycue

Feb 17, 2009
Who will be our first choice back four assuming they are all fit??

LB:Mc Nulty
CB:Elphick
CB:Tunicliffe/Lynch??
RB:Whing

That would be my choice.
Also are the team back together training yet? if so is lynch back with us?

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Who will be our first choice back four assuming they are all fit??

LB:Mc Nulty
CB:Elphick
CB:Tunicliffe/Lynch??
RB:Whing

That would be my choice.
Also are the team back together training yet? if so is lynch back with us?

same as above, but either Tunnicliffe or Virgo alongside Elphick, sell Lynch

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
It's a tough one, but in a good way. I don't think you can rule out Virgo, he was one of our best players in the last 10-odd games of last season.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Whing --- Virgo (C) --- Elphick/Tunnicliffe --- McNulty

Most likely. Hard to predict the exact back-line. I think Elphick & Tunnicliffe will be the long-term central partnership (in the future).

Last edited:

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
Virgo is a top centre back, and looked good in the last few games when he got a run in there. If what has been said on another thread is true, and he is captain next year, then it seems as though either Tunnicliffe or Elphick will play alongside. Having not seen Tunnicliffe enough, it would be unfair for me to choose between the two so will trust slades judgement over pre season. Left backs a difficult one, Lynch could play there but when Mcnutly is fit, Lynch would not want to be a benchwarmer in a league one side when he was playing reguarly for forest last year. Whing would be at right back, because although Tunnicliffe can play there, whing is more used to playing out wide.

rusty redeyes

Feb 26, 2007
Portslade, The Blue Anchor
Whing Elphick Tunnicliffe Lynch

When Jimmy is fit...

Whing Elphick Lynch/Tunnicliffe McNulty

How anyone can claim Virgo is superior to Elphick is pure absurdity.:mad:

Why is it absurd? Virgs suffered due to the weaknesses and injuries to last seasons squad, he was pushed all over the side from match to match and even during games. No doubt that Elphick has potential, but that's based on the season before last and not last season. His form suffered last season probably because the team was constantly shuffled, and no experience alongside him (Butters).

I reserve judgement on the line up until pre-season has started, but McNulty when fit is a definite, other positions are all up for grabs

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
I personally prefer Elphick to Virgo (marginally) but can you honestly expect Virgo to be 4th choice CB next season?

Fourteenth Eye

Face for Radio
Jul 9, 2004
Brighton
Whing pretty much picks himself but at centre back currently we have the choice of Virgs, Elph, tunnicliffe, Lynch, El abd, Hawkins. Mcnulty will be left back & lynch will fill in if he is still here but it looks strong.

Russell wanted a headache ......

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
I don't see McNulty recovering fully from the horrific injury.

Whing Tunnicliffe Virgo Lynch for me.

Finchley Seagull

Feb 25, 2004
North London
Whing Elphick Tunnicliffe Lynch

When Jimmy is fit...

Whing Elphick Lynch/Tunnicliffe McNulty

We are all allowed opinions and to write off someone's view because they don't agree with you is actually absurd. Anyway I thought that in the last few games of last season (when Virgo was actually played in position) he looked better than Elphick, although they both played well. For that reason I would play him ahead of Elphick whether you think it is absurd or not (depending on pre season of course). Virgo is unfortunate that he was mucked around last year and played out of position so people forget he was a really good centre back in the Championship (when played there instead of up front) a few years ago and is a very effective centre back in League 1 now.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Without seeing Tunnicliffe play, I'm not able to judge his ability so my back four would be:

Whing (rb)
Virgo (cb)
Elphick (cb)
McNulty (lb) if fit/ Lynch (lb) until McNulty is fit.

If Tunnicliffe is better than our two regular CB's then I'd probably play him with whoever was in the best form at the time.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I think Virgs is a given at CB, he certainly has the most experience and also he is *probably* the best one we have at the club, if like people say the last 10 games or so are anything to go by.

les dynam

Oct 10, 2008
Hove
tunnicliffe RB. elphic and lynch CBs. mcnulty LB.

very tight between elphic, lynch and tunnicliffe i reckon. virgo 4th choice in my book for centre half. don't really like whing as he's a donkey and we struggle with possession when he's involved. perhaps lynch has learned how to play left back at forest, if so he could be first choice left back for us.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
If Joel Lynch plays for Albion again then he'll get booed by a proportion of the Albion fans for being such a complete and utter c#nt.

RM-Taylor

He's Magic.... You Know
Jan 7, 2006
Start of the season:

Whing
Tunnicliffe
Elphick
Virgo

Prefered back-four

Whing
Tunnicliffe
Elphick