Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Brighton & Hove Albion vs Southampton *** Official Match Thread ***

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Thunder Bolt;8582971Locadia wants to wait for the ball to come to him all the time. [/QUOTE said:
Was his biggest fault for me, he was just standing watching it come towards him and then wondering why he got beat to the ball each time. If he is trying to emulate Murray holding the defender off its not working.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
We got lucky with injuries

This season we have a couple of centre backs out and we are playing right backs out of position. We don't seem to have a full 25 squad and are chucking in youth already.

Strong first 11 , mind

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Yet a young Barclay got valuable experience alongside Bernardo last night. How do you know if someone can step up unless you watch them in a game like that'?
Barclay did well imo.

jimhigham

Je Suis Rhino
Apr 25, 2009
Woking
Last night our midfield and attack seemed to receive the ball with their back to goal a lot of the time. This meant that by the time the player had turned towards goal to assess their options they already had a Southampton player closing them down. The instances where we actually played the ball into space for a player to run onto seemed few and far between. I'm guessing this is a fairly conservative approach designed to retain possession but it does seem to check our forward momentum. I'm only an occasional attendee so I don't know if is is representative of our play in general or just an oddity in a cup match with a second XI. Is it?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
We don't need ANY distractions.

The ressies can stay fit playing Vs the under 23s......less headaches, travel, and drama for Hughton and the coaching staff.

Hope we go out early in the FA cup too.

Sad to say all this - but it's the current reality.

In a couple of seasons when we know "we are safe-ish in the premier league" (if that is ever possible) - we can really go for a cup run - but we are not in that position yet.

So basically what you are saying is that all that matters is survival in the premier. That is it...that is all you look forward to...survival in a football league? So you didn't experience the thrill of the fa cup run getting to Wembley? That is not important to you? Just survival in the premier league.

Blimey

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
Went to the game. Enjoyable enough evening but had hoped a few more players would of really had a go to be pushing the starting line up for Saturday, Only really Bissouma did that.

We all hope our squad would of been able to show us we have quality all through it but we are where we are. Useful game for the youngsters especially.

Locadia was trying , just don't think this guy is a great fit for us. Our striking options are threadbare again really. Sooner we get And one fit the better (assuming hes will cut it).

Ali wasn't great.

Hard to judge but hoped for a lot more when took my seat.

Fair play to the Saints fans. Good numbers and vocal at times.

Evening 6/10

Performance and signs of encouragement 4/10

schmunk

"Members"
Jan 19, 2018
Mid mid mid Sussex
Last night our midfield and attack seemed to receive the ball with their back to goal a lot of the time. This meant that by the time the player had turned towards goal to assess their options they already had a Southampton player closing them down. The instances where we actually played the ball into space for a player to run onto seemed few and far between. I'm guessing this is a fairly conservative approach designed to retain possession but it does seem to check our forward momentum. I'm only an occasional attendee so I don't know if is is representative of our play in general or just an oddity in a cup match with a second XI. Is it?

From seeing highlight reels and our pre-season, this is NOT how Locadia or Jahanbakhsh would prefer to play, perhaps hence their poor performances yesterday.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
So basically what you are saying is that all that matters is survival in the premier. That is it...that is all you look forward to...survival in a football league? So you didn't experience the thrill of the fa cup run getting to Wembley? That is not important to you? Just survival in the premier league.

Blimey

What gave you most pleasure last season? Beating Arsenal & Man Uts at home, or getting to the last 16 in the FA cup? Who did we beat in the FA cup (without looking it up)?

dolphins

Jan 26, 2012
BN1, in GOSBTS
Is anyone else having trouble logging into Seagulls TV from a Mac device?
Bit late now (only just seeing this, this morning, as was at the match) but the following info might be useful in future. I had the same problem for the Watford game as I was away, and Safari on my MacBook had major issues trying to log in. Did the online chat and on the suggestion of the chat agent I used Chrome instead which was fine. Think it must be a known issue as he/she was so quick to suggest it.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Same as last night then - Balogun and Montoya were not going to be risked with Dunk and Bruno injured

A highlight for me, last night, was getting tickets in W1F very near the dug outs.
Bruno, Bong and a couple of others sat immediately behind the players, and watching Bruno hug a handicapped lad, calling him amigo.

BUTTERBALL

East Stand Brighton Boyz
Jul 31, 2003
location location
Exactly how it sounded on the radio. Bernado done well considering he has been used everywhere at the moment. Button sounded a bit awful. What did you make of him ?

Button looked okay in terms of saves, not so good with ball at his feet and made a howler in the second half that should have been a goal. Like all of them, i think he'll improve for games.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
We don't need ANY distractions.

The ressies can stay fit playing Vs the under 23s......less headaches, travel, and drama for Hughton and the coaching staff.

Hope we go out early in the FA cup too.

Sad to say all this - but it's the current reality.

In a couple of seasons when we know "we are safe-ish in the premier league" (if that is ever possible) - we can really go for a cup run - but we are not in that position yet.

Only 7 clubs ( the Big Six + Everton ) are safe in the PL.
We have seen the likes of Blackburn, Bolton, Stoke and Swansea all appear relatively comfortable but eventually time runs out for them as it will for Burnley, Leicester, Bournemouth, Watford etc. If we are lucky, we may get 4-5 seasons. We may not get that long. The longer we stay in the PL, the more advantage we build over promoted teams. To have a prolonged stay ( 4-5 seasons ) we will have to eventually invest in higher quality strikers.
I don't think we are ever going to be ' safe-ish ' in the PL. Burnley finished 7th last season but could be fighting relegation this time round. No one outside the ' 7 ' will ever be sure of how their season is going to go. There are so many unknown factors. You can plan to your hearts content but you can never legislate for a run of injuries, suspensions and players underperforming.
We are putting all our eggs in the PL basket and fans have to accept that a cup run, if it happens, will not be by design but more a result of a fortunate draw.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
We would have looked a lot better had we started the game with either Propper or Stephens alongside of Bissouma as was evident when Propper came on. Gross was completely lost in midfield and offered nothing Kayal did what Kayal does but it didnt compliment Bissouma and his effort.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
What gave you most pleasure last season? Beating Arsenal & Man Uts at home, or getting to the last 16 in the FA cup? Who did we beat in the FA cup (without looking it up)?

Nothing ever comes close to seeing my team walk out at Wembley in front of the the footballing world to see us do battle to lift what I still regard as the best team cup competition in the world.

Yes the Utd and arsenal results were terrific, but they were just two games in a league competition...it will be forgotten quickly, but I will never forget that time we scored the goal to level it up in the first game.

That is it for me.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nothing ever comes close to seeing my team walk out at Wembley in front of the the footballing world to see us do battle to lift what I still regard as the best team cup competition in the world.

Yes the Utd and arsenal results were terrific, but they were just two games in a league competition...it will be forgotten quickly, but I will never forget that time we scored the goal to level it up in the first game.

That is it for me.

That comes with age I would think as I would echo it. I felt so proud after singing Abide With Me. It was MY TEAM there.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
That comes with age I would think as I would echo it. I felt so proud after singing Abide With Me. It was MY TEAM there.

Absolutely BG 100%

My 45th year of supporting brighton this year and league games come and go, whichever league it is!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here