Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] (Dickheads in) club cricket.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Was he born up there or down here? It still makes a difference. My son was just 8 weeks old when I moved to Yorkshire.
He preferred squash to team games.
No he was born here but there's definitely an element of "who you know" when it comes to selection.

As I said, I could go into the details but it'd be very boring. Suffice to say that last season, players were put forward to trials by the coaches of the region they played for. This season it was decided by a committee of Yorkshire coaches and the main one only came to watch ONE of our matches.

Just lucky that he's basically a permanent fixture in the South Yorkshire team and he loves playing for them.

blue'n'white

Oct 5, 2005
2nd runway at Gatwick
When I was at work we used to play every week in the summer - a twenty over thrash after work a couple of times a week and we started up a Sunday side too. We had great fun but it was more of a social thing with some cricket thrown in too. None of us took it very seriously though we did have some quite decent players. Obviously you go out to win but if you don't it isn't the end of the world. Well two games really stand out in my mind. I worked in Croydon and every year we sed to play an away match against Hstings tax office. We rolled up one year and they'd got in half a pro side to play us and instead of letting us go in first and get say 120 they batted first, got 300 odd and then proceeded to bowl us all out for about 50. Words were exchanged and we never played there again. The other time, in my Sunday side, we played a side from Surrey who were a pretty decent standard at our level. They tried all the dirty tricks - bouncers and sledging and all and they were so displeased when we beat them they closed the clubhouse and went home early. Complete twunts.
In the main though we had a damn good time - I used to love playing

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
No he was born here but there's definitely an element of "who you know" when it comes to selection.

As I said, I could go into the details but it'd be very boring. Suffice to say that last season, players were put forward to trials by the coaches of the region they played for. This season it was decided by a committee of Yorkshire coaches and the main one only came to watch ONE of our matches.

Just lucky that he's basically a permanent fixture in the South Yorkshire team and he loves playing for them.

Very much the same down here with the SCC Area set up. Same four boys as last year were picked for the County Select team at the end of the season, despite the coach only being at 2 of the sessions throughout the whole summer, and there definitely being boys worthier of being put through. Frustrating for the boys who dont make it into the full County squad (including my own) but, as you said in an earlier post, the friends hes made, the sporting ethics hes picked up since starting cricket 3 years ago, and the enjoyment he gets from it...we wouldn't change it for anything. Just the fact that he makes it through trials & into the summer development squad is good enough for us when you consider he had never picked up a bat before he was 9, his school barely plays cricket, and almost all the other lads within SCC come from private schools doing 10hrs+ of training a week. He just gets an hour or two of training with his 2 clubs, Ditchling & Rottingdean, plus games.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Golf clubs and cricket clubs are a magnet for bellends who think they are better than other people.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford

What year group is your lad [MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] ? My nephew played for N Yorks and Yorks schools, but had to give up, as forced to make the choice between sports, and chose football. He's 19 now.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
What year group is your lad [MENTION=14669]LlcoolJ[/MENTION] ? My nephew played for N Yorks and Yorks schools, but had to give up, as forced to make the choice between sports, and chose football. He's 19 now.

He's U11 this season for S Yorks and Sheffield but plays in one of the U13 teams for his club (Sheffield Collegiate CC). He's quite small for 11 so it's funny him playing against some of the 13/14 year olds on other teams who are giants.

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
He's U11 this season for S Yorks and Sheffield but plays in one of the U13 teams for his club (Sheffield Collegiate CC). He's quite small for 11 so it's funny him playing against some of the 13/14 year olds on other teams who are giants.

Little fella playing up a couple of years at Collegiate? We know where this all leads...

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Little fella playing up a couple of years at Collegiate? We know where this all leads...

Ha ha. Yeah Joe is his hero, although my lad is more of a bowler. Joe still comes to the club quite regularly as does Bill and the rest of the family. A really nice bloke with no side to him despite his success, always happy to chat with the kids and parents. Puts plenty back into the club financially too.

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Very much the same down here with the SCC Area set up. Same four boys as last year were picked for the County Select team at the end of the season, despite the coach only being at 2 of the sessions throughout the whole summer, and there definitely being boys worthier of being put through.

That's not how it works in Sussex. The coaches at the clubs - not coaches from the Sussex set-up - recommend players to go for trials and all the kids are assessed over a couple of sessions. As a coach for my club, I've just put through recommendations for four of my players to go to trials. Players who already part of the county set-up (we have one of these too) don't have to be recommended as they're automatically called for trial but players can play for the county one year and be dropped the next.

And, yes, kids who go to private school do have more opportunities but none of the five players from my club are privately educated, so state school kids aren't totally ignored.

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
That's not how it works in Sussex. The coaches at the clubs - not coaches from the Sussex set-up - recommend players to go for trials and all the kids are assessed over a couple of sessions. As a coach for my club, I've just put through recommendations for four of my players to go to trials. Players who already part of the county set-up (we have one of these too) don't have to be recommended as they're automatically called for trial but players can play for the county one year and be dropped the next.

And, yes, kids who go to private school do have more opportunities but none of the five players from my club are privately educated, so state school kids aren't totally ignored.

It's different in Yorkshire because it's such a big county with hundreds of clubs. Clubs put kids forward for district trials the same way but the Yorkshire coaches now choose which ones get to trial for Yorkshire rather than them being put forward by the district coaches.The trials are a bit of a joke though as they've already decided who they are going to pick.

It's a tough gig to get into the Yorkshire sides for sure as the districts (S Yorks, N Yorks, E Yorks, Leeds, Wakefield & Kirklees and Bradford & Calderdale) are all pretty strong. When the Yorkshire A or B teams have played other counties at U10 or U11 level last two seasons they've never lost a game and have generally hammered the opposition. At least four of the district teams would comfortably beat Lancashire, Wawickshire etc.

The public school thing is interesting too as I'd say it's about 50/50 in my son's U13 Collegiate team. The only two Collegiate lads in the S Yorks U11 team are both state educated though and I reckon only about 3 of the squad of 13 go to public school.

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach

Apologies, I may not have been clear. I know the club coaches put forward kids etc (my son has been in the system for 3 seasons now) but I was talking about once the kids have got through trials and are actually within the Area set up (through winter training & then Summer season) The H.C only saw the lads a couple of times over the season, & then went with what they had last year....just a bit frustrating.

Last edited:

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
There are no bars on females playing in male teams. In theory, a county team could pick a woman (a couple of years ago, Sussex did actually register Sarah Taylor as a player, as back-up, although she never played).

Becca Silk used to play for Preston Nomads 3s (mens) and very good she was too. Moved to Exeter for university and has this season picked up a rookie contract with Western Storm in the KSL.

Not sure she will get much game time but training with some of the world's best players (England captain Heather Knight, West Indies skipper Stafanie Taylor, Annie Shrubsole etc) will clearly help her development.

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013
Read about this earlier. What a complete tool. Hope his club chuck him out.

I'm assuming that the bowler's team still had a chance to win, and therefore a good bowl could have got the batsman out. Therefore, he's not a team player, get rid.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Are women allowed to play with men (oh stop it) then?

I always wanted to play, but cricket wasn’t introduced for girls at my school until the year after I’d left :rolleyes: Gutted. I’d still fancy giving it a go now but I daresay any local clubs would be way above a beginner’s level. At my age anyway :wink:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

East Preston CC have women in their sides.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
To maybe redress the balance a wee bit, here's a photo I took on the way down the road to LoveBN1Fest on Sunday. Might remind you why you love the game.

And re: sledging: just a quick reminder that you're not at a full house Test Match. Somebody says something out of order to you, just stop the game, walk right up to them and ask them politely to repeat it to your face... :wink:

PPc.jpg

cuthbert

Oct 24, 2009
I was a teacher at a Technical College in Brent from 1966 and 1994, and we used to play 20 over evening matches against the teachers from other local colleges and schools. One evening Harold Phillips from John Kelly School for Boys, explained that they were one short and would it be OK if a 13yo boy played, as he was very keen. It would be fair to say that Mike Gatting was the difference between the two teams!!

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
To maybe redress the balance a wee bit, here's a photo I took on the way down the road to LoveBN1Fest on Sunday. Might remind you why you love the game.

And re: sledging: just a quick reminder that you're not at a full house Test Match. Somebody says something out of order to you, just stop the game, walk right up to them and ask them politely to repeat it to your face... :wink:

View attachment 99494
Yes, we were at Ilkley on Sunday. Absolutely stunning. Outfield was a bit dry though.....
566674402f99b705f6d7fb0ed87c1451.jpg

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Becca Silk used to play for Preston Nomads 3s (mens) and very good she was too. Moved to Exeter for university and has this season picked up a rookie contract with Western Storm in the KSL.

Not sure she will get much game time but training with some of the world's best players (England captain Heather Knight, West Indies skipper Stafanie Taylor, Annie Shrubsole etc) will clearly help her development.

She played against us last season, on a Sunday, for Lavant CC. Decent technique. Good luck to her.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here