Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Summer 2015 transfer window thread

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
Derby doing good business elsewhere too....(they are NOT on holiday)

"Derby close in on Aston Villa's Weimann & Reading's Pearce"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/32989516

That their interest has turned to Pearce might suggest that they don't want to pursue Dunk. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] indicated that the club will hold out for £5m+ to a PL club. That suggests, contrary to so many on here, that things are in good hands.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset

Left Footer

Sep 26, 2007
Shoreham
Wasnt his release more to do with attitude than ability. Perhaps this has improved as he has got older.

Attitude?
I take it you didn`t watch him in the capitulation against Preston the other day? He got booked and refused to speak to the ref and the Swindon captain was called in.

El Turi

Injured
Aug 13, 2005
Argentina
Can someone explain why a team like Derby, who get similar attendances and are not in receipt of parachute payments, can show serious ambition whereas we massively struggle to attract players.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
That their interest has turned to Pearce might suggest that they don't want to pursue Dunk. [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION] indicated that the club will hold out for £5m+ to a PL club. That suggests, contrary to so many on here, that things are in good hands.

Let's wait and see who get in before you go making rash statements like that :wink:

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Can someone explain why a team like Derby, who get similar attendances and are not in receipt of parachute payments, can show serious ambition whereas we massively struggle to attract players.

Their directors are pumping money in I believe, much like ours except theirs is going on the team...

American owned and now joined by someone who made 500 million selling some computer game I believe

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Their directors are pumping money in I believe, much like ours except theirs is going on the team...

Except that the money our directors (ie: Bloom) pumped in is spent on the team and more of it than Derby in 2013/14. (wage bill: Albion 20m - Derby: 17m).

(no figs for 2014/15 yet)

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Except that the money our directors (ie: Bloom) pumped in is spent on the team and more of it than Derby in 2013/14. (wage bill: Albion 20m - Derby: 17m).

It was 2014/15 I was referring to and possibly now too. I am GUESSING that Derby out spent us by quite a margin last year, in fact I desperately hope they did too. I am looking forward to the figures for last season, they will make very interesting reading, especially when compared to teams like Derby, Bournemouth and Watford.

The Brighton Buzz

Falmer here we come
Jan 31, 2008

Not sure it is about the amount of money pumped in. It just proves that it how the money is spent. Derby obviously got more value for money. If we spent even more last season it goes to prove that whoever is doing the negotiations is making a pigs ear of it. We certainly did not get value for money on the players we brought in.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
I am GUESSING that Derby out spent us by quite a margin last year, in fact I desperately hope they did too..

They might well have done. They might end up spending more this season. Who knows.
Except i don't think that was your point. Your point was that Derby "are pumping money in I believe, much like ours except theirs is going on the team."..
When in fact the published accounts, all reports, and Tony Bloom talking about his investment self evidently show that Albion are "pumping money into the [club] and it goes onto the team"... Or what did you mean ? Where do you think the money goes ? Somewhere else ?

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Well if we are "pumping money into the team" it ain't working and something pretty fundamental seems to be wrong.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Not sure it is about the amount of money pumped in. It just proves that it how the money is spent. Derby obviously got more value for money. If we spent even more last season it goes to prove that whoever is doing the negotiations is making a pigs ear of it. We certainly did not get value for money on the players we brought in.

Which why we sacked Burke. The head of recruitment now used to work for Derby, so I'm hoping for better value in this transfer window.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
They might well have done. They might end up spending more this season. Who knows.
Except i don't think that was your point. Your point was that Derby "are pumping money in I believe, much like ours except theirs is going on the team."..
When in fact the published accounts, all reports, and Tony Bloom talking about his investment self evidently show that Albion are "pumping money into the [club] and it goes onto the team"... Or what did you mean ? Where do you think the money goes ? Somewhere else ?[/QUOTE

The Stadium and the training ground as well as sundry expenses that seem to swallow up the income from massive crowds that leave Barber telling us ad nauseum how difficult everything is.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well if we are "pumping money into the team" it ain't working and something pretty fundamental seems to be wrong.

Leeds with their soap opera, Blackpool with their madness and portakabin training ground, Cardiff City with their attitude to fans are clubs who have something pretty fundamentally wrong.
We , because we finished 20th in the league after 2 play offs in a row and bought a few duff players and seem stuck with with a lifelong fan of a chairman who is ready to continue stumping up after paying for a ground, an academy and millions of pounds worth of players, do not.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Kemy's golden contract.
Dobbie, the highest earner at the time.
CMS, expensive gamble.
COG's 15K per week.
Hughes, virtually non-playing expensive central defender.
Baldock, jury's out but won't be cheap.

At least the BERK who agreed these ( not CMS) contracts is no longer with us.

We have had more than our fair share of poorly allocated wages. At least they are now mostly off the books.

It's now time for us to get value from the next lot of high earners.

I am 100% sure we will.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
The Stadium and the training ground as well as sundry expenses that seem to swallow up the income from massive crowds that leave Barber telling us ad nauseum how difficult everything is.

What swallows up our income , last year our total revenue was £24m, is our wages bill. Last year it was c£20m. Not as high wages/turnover as some clubs (Hello QPR, Hello the eye watering Bournemouth) but in anyones book thats spending money on the team.
FWIW its a higher wages/turnover ratio than Derby. So i'm not sure why they're spending money on the team and we're not but there you go.

Icy Gull

Jul 5, 2003
What swallows up our income , last year our total revenue was £24m, is our wages bill. Last year it was c£20m. Not as high wages/turnover as some clubs (Hello QPR, Hello the eye watering Bournemouth) but in anyones book thats spending money on the team.
FWIW its a higher wages/turnover ratio than Derby. So i'm not sure why they're spending money on the team and we're not but there you go.

Have you now got last year's figures to hand then, or are you still quoting two years ago when I have already said that I was GUESSING that Derby outspent us last season. We were a much stronger proposition the last time we outspent Derby.

MisterE

Nov 2, 2009
football fragmento - interesting list of released players from all divs

All our potential targets are probably waiting to see if Middlesbrough will offer them something, so they can go there instead of joining us.

football fragmento web site - interesting list of released players from all 4 divs

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here