Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Other Sport] Made to measure golf clubs

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Made to measure clubs are very useful if you’ve got a decent golf game already. However, I know guys of your height who use normal length clubs and are single figure handicappers. I’d get yourself some lessons with a pro, iron out the flaws and then look at the clubs.

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014
Once or twice a month won't get your handicap down. You need to take it a bit more seriously than that - 2 times per week or your game will stand still. Practise, practise, practise it's the only way. As has been said I would leave the expense of custom made clubs until you feel ready. Where would you go anyway? I'm not too sure I would go somewhere like American Golf to get advice but would tend to go to a Professional at a well established club. Another way would be to go to the Tented Village at a proper golf event (maybe not as big as The Open ) and see what the various manufacturers say. They will give sound advice and maybe do an 'event deal'. But thats for the future. Just get some practice in with whatever clubs you have.

I agree with all of this except the American Golf aspect. I’ve had some excellent advice down the years from them.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I heard from an expert, Jack Nicklaus, in fact, that you need to measure the height of your dustbin then saw 2" off your clubs compared to the height of said dustbin, that way your clubs will fit comfortably in to the dustbin.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
A quick question oh knowledgeable bunch. I am what is normally described as short, I also play golf very badly. I have been thinking for some time about getting some clubs to suit my limited height (5' 6"). I am at the age now where I can find time for a little more golf and hope to start to play once or twice a month as opposed to a year!

Has anyone had made to measure clubs and did it make much of a difference?

How can you get a deal on a Black Friday type thing, do Ping or Golf Centres do such a thing?

And starting more than one thread on NSC in the same day. :rolleyes:

Have you considered taking up golf?

???:banana:

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I heard from an expert, Jack Nicklaus, in fact, that you need to measure the height of your dustbin then saw 2" off your clubs compared to the height of said dustbin, that way your clubs will fit comfortably in to the dustbin.

:laugh: You are definitely on for this evening's comedy award :bowdown:

LlcoolJ

Mama said knock you out.
Oct 14, 2009
Sheffield
Also relevant is the Gary Player quote "It's a funny thing. The more I practice the luckier I get".

Applies to every sport.

I was very decent at climbing when I was younger. Sport climbing, bouldering etc not walking up snow. Got my kit for free.

At the top end of the sport, having the correct shoes, the lightest harness, the thinnest strong light rope made a big difference. But the best shoes, the lightest harnesses, the best ropes were mostly sold to fat punters in London because they were expensive and therefore "the best".

A bit like fat road bike blokes who buy the lightest bike possible but are two stone overweight. Pointless.

Put some hours in and get better or you'll just look like a dick.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
I would suggest that fishing is a better hobby than golf, you can't grill a hole in one.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know very little about golf but I do know that in every sport the idea of a silver bullet to miraculously make you better at it is bullshit.

If you have more time to practice then use the time, play more, get better. Then start thinking about splurging tons of cash on the best equipment, not the other way round. Otherwise you just end up being another "all the gear" wanker, which nobody wants to be, apart from wankers obviously.

Shame you know **** all about golf then.

To the OP, definitely get clubs measured for you. American golf sell off the peg clubs that may be fine in the shop, but you need to get them set right for you. It's a bit like going to M&S for a suit, yes they are decent make, but they tend to be sizes that fit all, but are not quite enough for you.

I had a set of lynx irons, which I bought off the peg and yes they were decent and I wa shooting 16 to 20'handicapp. I had some lynx parralax irons specially made and fitted at lynx factory up in Surrey and I find then so much better and now shoot 8 to 11 handicap.

I think mid sussex GC also do a fitting service.

Give it a go.

Lower West Stander

Mar 25, 2012
Back in Sussex
Shame you know **** all about golf then.

To the OP, definitely get clubs measured for you. American golf sell off the peg clubs that may be fine in the shop, but you need to get them set right for you. It's a bit like going to M&S for a suit, yes they are decent make, but they tend to be sizes that fit all, but are not quite enough for you.

I had a set of lynx irons, which I bought off the peg and yes they were decent and I wa shooting 16 to 20'handicapp. I had some lynx parralax irons specially made and fitted at lynx factory up in Surrey and I find then so much better and now shoot 8 to 11 handicap.

I think mid sussex GC also do a fitting service.

Give it a go.

Absolutely this.

Ignore people giving advice who know nothing about the game. I’m a member at Goodwood and had a custom set of Callaways measured up at no extra cost. It took 30 minutes. It was also useful to double check I had the right clubs in my bag as I could test a couple of different hybrids and find the right Driver.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth
Had a quick skip through the posts, in my opinion, if you can afford it and if you play regulary and want to improve your game it is almost essential.
I play many more better shots, especially when the ball is above or below my feet, far less slices and hooks off the tee too.
But i still **** it up out of the bunkers and on the greens, stupid game.

Billy the Fish

Technocrat
Oct 18, 2005
Haywards Heath
Can't you just grip the clubs a bit further down?

I had clubs lengthened an inch and made a couple of degrees more upright because the pro told me to. I wish I hadn't bothered tbh, they never felt 100% right after that, I can't work out if he's done a crap job or was talking bollocks.

Raleigh Chopper

Sep 1, 2011
Plymouth

I had clubs lengthened an inch and made a couple of degrees more upright because the pro told me to. I wish I hadn't bothered tbh, they never felt 100% right after that, I can't work out if he's done a crap job or was talking bollocks.

Yes you can, in fact even with made to measure you still have to adjust, you are right, but for some reason i play those shots and others better now.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
I got fitted at American Golf for a set and ended up with Taylor Made which I preferred over the Ping, Callaway and even Mizuno which I fancied before I went to be fitted. The service was excellent and thorough and I have never hit the ball as well as I do now

sussex_guy2k2

Jun 6, 2014

In an ideal world, you never grip the clubs down except for very specific shots. Certainly not as your go to swing. You’ll lose a substantial amount of distance from the off

Jesus Gul

Feb 23, 2004
Work out your Ping ‘dot’ colour and have a look on eBay for a second hand set. Would be the cheapest way

Codner pharmaceuticals

Jun 17, 2009
Border Country
A quick question oh knowledgeable bunch. I am what is normally described as short, I also play golf very badly. I have been thinking for some time about getting some clubs to suit my limited height (5' 6"). I am at the age now where I can find time for a little more golf and hope to start to play once or twice a month as opposed to a year!

Maty- please concentrate on your goalkeeping skills and retaining your place in the Australia team before playing too much golf.

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
Once or twice a month won't get your handicap down. You need to take it a bit more seriously than that - 2 times per week or your game will stand still. Practise, practise, practise it's the only way. As has been said I would leave the expense of custom made clubs until you feel ready. Where would you go anyway? I'm not too sure I would go somewhere like American Golf to get advice but would tend to go to a Professional at a well established club. Another way would be to go to the Tented Village at a proper golf event (maybe not as big as The Open ) and see what the various manufacturers say. They will give sound advice and maybe do an 'event deal'. But thats for the future. Just get some practice in with whatever clubs you have.

I agree but haven't retired just yet and have two young boys; so time's still a bit precious. Thanks for everyone's comments they are very helpful

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patreon
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills