Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Giving the development squad players a chance...

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
It was said when the Academy opened in summer 2014 it would be at least 5 years before we saw any benefit so it should be at least next summer beforfe we see anything positive so perhaps this thread should be put on the back burner until then at least.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It was said when the Academy opened in summer 2014 it would be at least 5 years before we saw any benefit so it should be at least next summer beforfe we see anything positive so perhaps this thread should be put on the back burner until then at least.

Ok Tony.

#Busted.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
My thoughts are if they are exceptional, they'll make it to our first team, since Chris H knows what he is doing, otherwise it's loans first a la, for example, Harry Kane... is that such a bad thing? IMHO "No"...

The Sock of Poskett

The best is yet to come (spoiler alert)
Jun 12, 2009
The best will get loaned out - a full season at L2 or L1 will develop them far quicker than even Premier 2. The gap is just too big otherwise.Those that have the quality can then compete for a place in the squad.
Can't see that approach changing much while we're in the Premier League, apart from a horrendous run of injuries. Wouldn't surprise me if Walton and White play for the Albion at the highest level in years to come though :thumbsup:

spongy

Aug 7, 2011
Burgess Hill
Or can it be more about producing HGP's?

We have players such as Mateju on our books. He been with us 2 full seasons now and just coming into his 3rd?

I know he's on loan for this coming season but after this season, and us having a cat1 academy doesn't he then qualify for HGP status as he would have been in an academy for 3 years?

That shirley has to add value to these lads sell on prices, even if they're not quite good enough for us?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I want our decent youngsters to go out on to the Championship, it's a great division and plenty of opportunity to see them on telly, especially if they end up playing against Leeds, Villa or Massive.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
I'd like to see the F.A encourage it. 3 additional substitutes providing they are U-20. I'd like to see them being exposed to a matchday experience and getting some game time

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
I don't think there's a lot of value in trying to nurture a development squad when the club is at PL level other than as an altruistic exercise. The players aren't going to get much of a look-in unless they are absolutely exceptional. It'll always be more of a quick fix to run a stat-based algorithm to try and unearth possible value signings from absolutely anywhere other than the development squad. Is it building for the future? Probably not, sadly, while the club's attempting to maintain PL status. Do you nurture a Dunk for a decade or do you buy in a Duffy?

Last edited:

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
We have players such as Mateju on our books. He been with us 2 full seasons now and just coming into his 3rd?

I know he's on loan for this coming season but after this season, and us having a cat1 academy doesn't he then qualify for HGP status as he would have been in an academy for 3 years?

Mateju only joined us at the start of last season, and was already 21 when he did so. In order to qualify for HGP status you have to have spent at least 36 months registered with an English or Welsh club up to the end of the season during which you turn 21 - Mateju therefore had spent 0 months and is NOT HGP-qualified.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
I'd like to see the F.A encourage it. 3 additional substitutes providing they are U-20. I'd like to see them being exposed to a matchday experience and getting some game time

Naturally; I couldn’t agree more :)

Well said.

Greg Dyke, when he was FA chair, wanted to strengthen HGP as part of a plan to help the England squad. Ie: Southgate has only a third of Prem League players to choose from. He wanted to increase 8 in the squad to 12. And stop the loophole where foreign players become HGP.
It failed. Premier League Chairman at the time didn't vote for it.

spence

British and Proud
Oct 15, 2014
Crawley
Greg Dyke, when he was FA chair, wanted to strengthen HGP as part of a plan to help the England squad. Ie: Southgate has only a third of Prem League players to choose from. He wanted to increase 8 in the squad to 12. And stop the loophole where foreign players become HGP.

What's the latest transfer info Insider ?

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009

I'm not fussed about any HGP restrictions. I'd like to see clubs benefit from developing youngsters and having them in the matchday squad would be a big step

Jul 7, 2003
My thoughts are if they are exceptional, they'll make it to our first team, since Chris H knows what he is doing, otherwise it's loans first a la, for example, Harry Kane... is that such a bad thing? IMHO "No"...

As he has just won the Golden Boot at the World Cup, Harry Kane is a very good example. He went out on loan to Orient, Millwall, Norwich and Leicester before finally breaking into the Spurs team. Doesn't seem to have done him too much harm developing his skills away from his home club.

GT49er

Feb 1, 2009
Gloucester
Yep; therein lies the rub. I would't change our manager (who would?!?), but would love the odd little roll of the dice here and there!

I'm not fussed about any HGP restrictions. I'd like to see clubs benefit from developing youngsters and having them in the matchday squad would be a big step
Don't know about three extra substitutes - but maybe they could make it a rule that one of the subs is a youngster. We can't use all the subs anyway, so it doesn't really jeopardise the team's chances.
As for putting youngsters on the bench, I'd love us to make a point of doing it - and even if, as someone said, we aren't 2-0 up and cruising with ten minutes left very often, there still would be a few occasions we could give a youngster a few minutes game time without significant risk, They might actually play very well anyway! Don't think CH will do it, though.

Same way as I'm in favour of leaving one up at corners and free kicks - but that won't happen either. I still want CH in charge though - the positives (the results) far out-weigh the negatives.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Our Development Squad is like the football equivilant of the Witness Protectection Programme.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here