Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] "Chris Hughton's Brighton, who were brilliant throughout..."

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
You can stick your "under-performing West Ham" / "Bilic under pressure" narratives.

The BBC called it right (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41604706) - we WERE brilliant throughout. West Ham could have as much of the ball as they liked, they really were not going to trouble us, such is the quality of our defensive organisation, and we then have the players to hurt them when chances came our way.

"...and could have added further misery to their hosts as Murray had two good chances saved by Hart."

tigertim68

Sep 3, 2012
You can stick your "under-performing West Ham" / "Bilic under pressure" narratives.

The BBC called it right (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/41604706) - we WERE brilliant throughout. West Ham could have as much of the ball as they liked, they really were not going to trouble us, such is the quality of our defensive organisation, and we then have the players to hurt them when chances came our

"...and could have added further misery to their hosts as Murray had two good chances saved by Hart."

Agree we were brilliant last night

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Dan Walker on BBC1 Breakfast this morning was great. The team on the sofa were concentrating on Bilic etc. Then Walker changed that with "We're forgetting that Brighton were brilliant". He gave the impression that we might get more than a mention on Football Focus.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Early on the had all the possession but didn't do anything with it while we defended admirably then converted our chances when they came.

Sort of what you need to do if you want to stay in the Premier League.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Dan Walker on BBC1 Breakfast this morning was great. The team on the sofa were concentrating on Bilic etc. Then Walker changed that with "We're forgetting that Brighton were brilliant". He gave the impression that we might get more than a mention on Football Focus.

Dan Walker always speaks well of us, but then he is from Sussex, albeit he supports Crawley.

He, Jermain Jenas and Matt Upson all praised Brighton in Football Focus.

joeinbrighton

Nov 20, 2012
Brighton
Brighton's control of the match was brilliant. Yes, West Ham were dire, but Brighton realised very early on that West Ham were there for the taking and they produced a performance across all areas of the pitch which enabled them to capitalise on West Ham's shortcomings. There were probably 7 or 8 players for Brighton last night who delivered a 9/10 performance, and when that happens, you are almost certain to win resoundingly.

Hastings gull

Nov 23, 2013
Brighton's control of the match was brilliant. Yes, West Ham were dire, but Brighton realised very early on that West Ham were there for the taking and they produced a performance across all areas of the pitch which enabled them to capitalise on West Ham's shortcomings. There were probably 7 or 8 players for Brighton last night who delivered a 9/10 performance, and when that happens, you are almost certain to win resoundingly.

Yes, a great performance, and superb to watch. D and D excellent at the back, winning ALL the headers and their blocks were first rate. The wingers looked good and IzQ was unlucky not to score last week when Pickford produced a good save. We coped well throughout most of the match and even during their 20 minute purple patch. I would only add one note of caution -when under pressure, we did give the ball away rather too often for comfort, thus inviting more pressure. Great result and the team continues to build the all-important confidence. Well done to Chris and the lads.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
From the Mirror report: :lol:

To make matters worse, Hammers bosses pumped up the volume on the PA system at full-time to drown out the boos from the half empty stadium which had remained.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
From the Mirror report: :lol:

To make matters worse, Hammers bosses pumped up the volume on the PA system at full-time to drown out the boos from the half empty stadium which had remained.

Fake news. Half empty, my arse. More like Three quarters empty. :thumbsup:

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Screenshot_20171021-165832.png

https://www.westhamtillidie.com/posts/2017/10/20/match-thread-west-ham-v-brighton

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Fake news. Half empty, my arse. More like Three quarters empty. [emoji106]
It looked like it would have, had Orient been given the stadium instead of the 'appy 'ammer.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
According to a number of people at Down at the Mac (Hudds forum), we were LUCKY against West Ham. :lolol:

Apparently superb defending is luck.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I didn't think West Ham were dire. At times their one touch movement of the ball was excellent, and they went from front to back with real pace. I think they could have got back into the game against a lot of sides. Where they were hurt by us is that I simply think they underestimated the pace on our wings, particularly the role Bong played in backing that up (at times he was so quick I didn't register it was him). With little possession we were able to get into such dangerous areas.

We also sorted out our recent habit of too many players diving in at the same ball in a congested area. This led to us conceding goals against Bournemouth and Arsenal, but in this game we kept a more disciplined shape even around our penalty spot.

West Ham will play like that and still get points against other teams, we simply played very very well.

biddles911

May 12, 2014
I didn't think West Ham were dire. At times their one touch movement of the ball was excellent, and they went from front to back with real pace. I think they could have got back into the game against a lot of sides. Where they were hurt by us is that I simply think they underestimated the pace on our wings, particularly the role Bong played in backing that up (at times he was so quick I didn't register it was him). With little possession we were able to get into such dangerous areas.

We also sorted out our recent habit of too many players diving in at the same ball in a congested area. This led to us conceding goals against Bournemouth and Arsenal, but in this game we kept a more disciplined shape even around our penalty spot.

West Ham will play like that and still get points against other teams, we simply played very very well.

Yes, we played very well but the key moment was Izquierdo scoring just before half time, against the run of play really.

This really knocked the stuffing out of them and they were pretty dire after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Yes, we played very well but the key moment was Izquierdo scoring just before half time, against the run of play really.

This really knocked the stuffing out of them and they were pretty dire after that.

Yes, because we did have to withstand a lot of pressure in that first half, but it was noticeable we were no where near as rash in defence as we have been, again improvements we seem to be making game by game. Although, leading up to the goal, we did take a bit of control in that last 10mins, it was amazing how little of the ball we needed to exert real pressure on them.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here