Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

What's the story Fikayo Tomori?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I get you, that's fair enough.
Just remember that Tomori has been with Chelsea for 11 years and wasn't given a look-in for pre-season in the U.S.

I don't have a clue why.................... Don't know Antonio Conti...........Never met the man

Rowdey

Jul 7, 2003
Herne Hill
But where was he in the final third ? How many crosses into the box did he make ? For me Pocognoli was the game changer

There was a moment in 2nd half, where he beat one or two players, carried the ball, passed it and continued his run to between penalty spot and the D. He had lots of space, called for it back but AK (?) lost it.

In first half, they gave him a very hard time, but in 2nd half (viewed from the NS, on LHS side) he did well overall i think.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
What the LEFT BACK you mean? The LEFT BACK who was signed on a season loan because our first choice LEFT BACK got injured. That LEFT BACK?
So if we had our first and second choice LEFT BACKS injured then clearly a good move is to sign a 19 year old RIGHT BACK who has NEVER played a senior competitive game at LEFT BACK, yes, that will work.

What would might have made more sense tonight would have been to move Bruno to left back (a position he's played befoere) and allowed Tomori to play in his preferred position.

:facepalm: ...not really..still it all goes back to opinion over whether Tomori had a good enough game...personally after a nervy ten minutes I thought he did.....he certainly started to get the measure of Atsu....who then swapped wings with Ritchie...the second goal coming from Atsu's cross on Bruno's side of the pitch.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Me too.
I'm really surprised by the reactions on this thread, as I thought he had a very solid 2nd half.

This. He was out of his depth in first half, too timid to go upfield but I though really came on in second. He can head the ball which is more then Poco, and in second half was upfield a lot. Took a promising position on edge of penalty area on one attack when AK should have passed to him. I would have no problem with him playing in Sat based on second half tonight.

ManOfSussex

We wunt be druv
Apr 11, 2016
Rape of Hastings, Sussex
Without reading through this thread in its entirety, Tomori was a liability and got better.

Hammer15

Apr 20, 2016
Montclair, NJ
From my position in the NW corner (so admittedly about as far away from Tomori as it was possible to get for most of the game) I thought he did pretty well. I don't get this need for a scapegoat. He had a terrible debut but has done well to recover, but now everyone just wants to get on his back.

Admittedly though, give me Poc/Bong/Rosenior over him every time, because they offer far more attacking threat.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
What the LEFT BACK you mean? The LEFT BACK who was signed on a season loan because our first choice LEFT BACK got injured. That LEFT BACK?
So if we had our first and second choice LEFT BACKS injured then clearly a good move is to sign a 19 year old RIGHT BACK who has NEVER played a senior competitive game at LEFT BACK, yes, that will work.

What would might have made more sense tonight would have been to move Bruno to left back (a position he's played befoere) and allowed Tomori to play in his preferred position.

Suppose that would have worked for all the knives out people who rubbish a player after a couple of performances. Been more convenient had he been right back and would then have been at fault for second and on that basis would be Obika in disguise straightaway never to rise above it for some on here.

Pleased to see a few who agree with me that he was very nervous and unassured in first half but came into game in second.

BevBHA

Jan 23, 2017
Atsu went round him twice as soon as he came on but after that he was solid which resulted in Atsu swapping wings, ultimately leading to the winner from Bruno's side. Tomori was class second half I thought

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
I get you, that's fair enough.
Just remember that Tomori has been with Chelsea for 11 years and wasn't given a look-in for pre-season in the U.S.
And he's been sent out as 4th choice for a Championship team.

Again, I hope he proves me wrong, I'd love him to be great. But I can find no positives here, yet.

Are you drunk? You keep repeating yourself. Go have a lie down.

Megazone

On his last warning
Jan 28, 2015
Northern Hemisphere.
Timori obviously has natural talent.

It's very impressive how he's just strolled into the scapegoat role so comfortably and quickly, and yet he is still so young. Now I see why CH brought him in. The missing piece of the Jigsaw. Let's hope he can emulate Ashley Barnes or even JFC.

Fingers crossed we sign him come summer.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Pocognoli wasn't signed on a season loan because "our first choice left back got injured". He was signed as cover for Gaetan Bong who was perfectly fit. The only matches Bong missed in the first half of the season were when he was suspended (for 5 yellow cards, and then for being sent-off, after which he was on the bench for one further game before coming back in as the starter).

Tomori was signed on loan on January 23, primarily to provide the cover that Rob Hunt had been providing, intermittently, to the first team squad. That enabled Hunt to go out on loan and get some league experience (which has worked out great so far at Oldham). Tomori can play all across the back four but was predominantly played at centre-back in the U-21s and U-18s at Chelsea last season.

At the time Tomori was signed, we had sufficient cover at left back. Pocognoli was starting, Adekugbe was cover (he started at Preston in the league in January as well as the two FA Cup matches), and Rosenior had just played in three successive U-23 matches. It is unfortunate that within days of Tomori's signing, Rosenior suffered a setback in his recovery, Adekugbe suffered further injury playing for the U-23s on February 6 and now Pocognoli has gone lame (with Bong still clearly a little way from returning).

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Rosenior came through another u23s work, played 62 minutes, on Monday so perhaps he's close to being back on Saturday at least on the bench.

Last edited:

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Can't believe some of the stuff being posted in this thread.

When he first came on, Newcastle quite rightly targeted him. But I think he held his position and was backed up well by the midfield and was getting his confidence together.

Second half I thought he did much much better. Atsu was under control most of the half and he even had Ritchie sorted when they swapped. Some people are saying he didn't get forward well enough. I think that's more to do with the way the Newcastle midfield were set up. Bruno also wasn't the attacking force he can be.

In short, I thought tomori grew into the game and had a very solid second half

John Byrnes Mullet

Global Circumnavigator
Oct 4, 2004
Brighton
He done ok in the Second half and he defended well considering he is Right Footed. Hopefully we will have Adekugbe or Rosenior back in the team against Forest.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here