Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Sky Sports reporting that 2 championship clubs have bid for Jordan Rhodes....

Thimble Keegan

Remy LeBeau
Jul 7, 2003
Rustington, Littlehampton
With fear of repeating myself, as I mentioned on 2 separate threads last year, if we do not sign some South American flairmiester then we should go for Jordan Rhodes...And go large.

We have (on the face of it) made some decent January signings and couple this with the players slowly returning from injury, Rhodes could well be the final piece of the jigsaw. We are in the promotion race and of all the teams in the mix we are probably the ones who need reinforcements the most...Especially at the sharp end of the pitch. The last thing we need is to be left behind and the thought of Jordan joining a promotion rival is worrying.

So, I genuinely hope we are in for him and if so, it does kind of make sense with the news we recently heard that there would be a pause in the transfer activity.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
Jordan Rhodes is a flat capped, whippet racing, pigeon fancying, card carrying NORTHERNER. He will not go to a club south of Manchester. He'd miss his Dad too much!!!

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Why is that relevant? He's certainly had Prem interest in the past., but we play in the Championship where he has consistently scored a lot of goals.

I agree with you, I used to think it was relevant because if you sign someone on a 3 or 4 year deal and they are good enough for the Championship but not good enough for the Premiership and you get promoted then you are stuck with them.

That was my thinking until very very recently. The someone pointed out. 'You cant' worry about things like that if you are chasing promotion. If they turn out not to be good enough for the Premiership, their Agent won't be long in getting them a move if they find themselves not getting a game''

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
With fear of repeating myself, as I mentioned on 2 separate threads last year, if we do not sign some South American flairmiester then we should go for Jordan Rhodes...And go large.

We have (on the face of it) made some decent January signings and couple this with the players slowly returning from injury, Rhodes could well be the final piece of the jigsaw. We are in the promotion race and of all the teams in the mix we are probably the ones who need reinforcements the most...Especially at the sharp end of the pitch. The last thing we need is to be left behind and the thought of Jordan joining a promotion rival is worrying.

So, I genuinely hope we are in for him and if so, it does kind of make sense with the news we recently heard that there would be a pause in the transfer activity.

Albion & England forever.

Thimble Keegan
Rustington BHA
I missed the "pause in transfer activity" alert - when did that news come and who from?

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
Fact we will not sign Jordan for anywhere near 12 million it will not happen. The club pride themselves on shrewd investments at the right time etc....

It would have made far more sense to go for Charlie Austin for less and spend the balance on his wages than a big fee plus big wages for Jordan...

Not gonna happen

actually thinking about it the perfect scenario is that Wednesday do fork out 12 million for him, then miss out on promotion which leads to the big heads up the M1 getting hit with FFP fine and a spiral towards oblivion

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Jordan Rhodes is a flat capped, whippet racing, pigeon fancying, card carrying NORTHERNER. He will not go to a club south of Manchester. He'd miss his Dad too much!!!

Rhodes?

Where we're going, we don't need Rhodes.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Fact we will not sign Jordan for anywhere near 12 million it will not happen. The club pride themselves on shrewd investments at the right time etc....

It would have made far more sense to go for Charlie Austin for less and spend the balance on his wages than a big fee plus big wages for Jordan...

Not gonna happen

If we don't sign a proven goalscorer this window we will have little chance of getting promoted via the playoffs and pretty well nil via automatic. Just IMO like. As [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION] said a few days ago it really is quite bizarre that we have the best and most expensive facilities in the Championship but hold off on spending the necessary money to reach the cash cow of the Premier League.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location

Not gonna happen

A bid for Charlie Austin would have been an embarrassing waste of time. The fee was surprisingly low, but he was only ever going to move to a PL club, that much was obvious.

Feb 23, 2009
Brighton factually.....
A bid for Charlie Austin would have been an embarrassing waste of time. The fee was surprisingly low, but he was only ever going to move to a PL club, that much was obvious.

I know but you get my point that we will never bid 12 million plus high wages for a player while we are in this league. I can see us spending 7-10 million in installments but on a player with lower wages from abroad.

fleet

Jul 28, 2003
It was a tweet by Naylor, so not the official club line necessarily.

Thanks - I guess we are heading to a deal at the end of the window or possibly missing out at the end of the window. Really hope that this time we get the striker we want.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
That Benik Afobe transfer has probably scuppered whatever slim chance there was of a deal being done.

Anything more than £8 million for a Championship striker is simply too risky and too much for a club like us losing £10mill a year and without parachute money.

If you were going to spend £10mill you'd have been better off throwing £4mill at renting Vydra for this season, then spending £6mill on a well-thought out quality Spanish / South American signing in the summer.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
If you were going to spend £10mill you'd have been better off throwing £4mill at renting Vydra for this season, then spending £6mill on a well-thought out quality Spanish / South American signing in the summer.

Take your point, but Vydra has done chuff all for Reading really (apart from score against us, obviously). Maybe he'll get more of a chance now that Blackman has gone, and Orlando Sa is reportedly on his way out too, but really, for the loan fee and wages they're spending, they've not had much of a return.

OSRGull

Jan 20, 2011
N1A
Poach Gary Hooper from Norwich as his loan is finishing at Wednesday.

Easy 10

Brain dead MUG SHEEP
Jul 5, 2003
Location Location
I know but you get my point that we will never bid 12 million plus high wages for a player while we are in this league. I can see us spending 7-10 million in installments but on a player with lower wages from abroad.

£12m would be a scary outlay I agree. But if someone takes that chance and he bags the goals that take them up, then it'll be a snip. And after putting ourselves in a great position this season, once again we'll be left with our face pressed to the window.

Hughton has assembled a very decent squad (once we start getting all our players back). The one glaring omission is a proven goalscorer, but they always come at a premium. We either stump up and bring one in, or we take a chance again on an overseas striker and just hope we strike gold, like we did with Ulloa.

Our track record suggests we'll probably end up with a Colunga, or someone who's banging them in in L1. Or no-one.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I agree with you, I used to think it was relevant because if you sign someone on a 3 or 4 year deal and they are good enough for the Championship but not good enough for the Premiership and you get promoted then you are stuck with them.

That was my thinking until very very recently. The someone pointed out. 'You cant' worry about things like that if you are chasing promotion. If they turn out not to be good enough for the Premiership, their Agent won't be long in getting them a move if they find themselves not getting a game''

Good point. There are still a couple of players in Bmuff team from their L1 days. And they are 1st teamers as well.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here