Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Sir Glenn

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
That’s true for us as well.

One of the most underrated players of the modern game, his goals have changed the future for both of our clubs.

Blokes a legend, as you say.

I loved him in his first spell, I wanted him to stay and even mentioned it to him at a fans day Easter 2011. Arrogant Poyet cost the club. I knew he'd be a success at your club.

Superphil

Dismember
Jul 7, 2003
In a pile of football shirts
I loved him in his first spell, I wanted him to stay and even mentioned it to him at a fans day Easter 2011. Arrogant Poyet cost the club. I knew he'd be a success at your club.

I don’t buy the ‘arrogant’ Poyet claim, Poyet wanted, and bought CMS into the club as he thought he would be the best option for his team. He got it wrong, we can all see that, he made an error of judgement, but that’s all I see. Poyet presided over a hugely exciting time for Brighton fans, he had us playing a style and quality of football usually expected in the top flight. All good things come to an end, I think he made mistakes, it wasn’t his arrogance that lead to choosing the wrong striker, IMO.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
I oft recall, with tumultuous and unbridled joy, Glenn’s original home debut vs Crewe.

Out with the old, in with the new... we few, we happy clappy few that bore witness to the quality brace that cleaved the Alex in two.

A class apart, even then... or perhaps; then even.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I don’t buy the ‘arrogant’ Poyet claim, Poyet wanted, and bought CMS into the club as he thought he would be the best option for his team. He got it wrong, we can all see that, he made an error of judgement, but that’s all I see. Poyet presided over a hugely exciting time for Brighton fans, he had us playing a style and quality of football usually expected in the top flight. All good things come to an end, I think he made mistakes, it wasn’t his arrogance that lead to choosing the wrong striker, IMO.

Going over old ground I know, as we've been here before so many times. I knew 2 senior employees of the club in 2011 including someone very senior. Contemporaneously, they told me that Poyet was arrogant over the Glenn business. Poyet did not warm to Glenn because he was seeking a pay rise to £6,000 from £3,250 per week. To benchmark at that time, CMS and Buckley were signed on far more than that, and Palace were paying Speroni and Ambrose £11,000 per week. Poyet thought Glenn had a damn cheek. He let personal bias cost our Albion. His arrogance emerged for all to see in much later dealings with the Albion and at later clubs.

Yes, I adored the football Poyet gave us in 20 amazing months at Withdean, stunning and to a lesser extent at times in the Championship.

DJ NOBO

Jul 18, 2004
Wiltshire
I received a text from a saints fan friend of mine at 10.12pm last night .
Simply said “Glenn ****ing Murray”

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ

Going over old ground I know, as we've been here before so many times. I knew 2 senior employees of the club in 2011 including someone very senior. Contemporaneously, they told me that Poyet was arrogant over the Glenn business. Poyet did not warm to Glenn because he was seeking a pay rise to £6,000 from £3,250 per week. To benchmark at that time, CMS and Buckley were signed on far more than that, and Palace were paying Speroni and Ambrose £11,000 per week. Poyet thought Glenn had a damn cheek. He let personal bias cost our Albion. His arrogance emerged for all to see in much later dealings with the Albion and at later clubs.

Yes, I adored the football Poyet gave us in 20 amazing months at Withdean, stunning and to a lesser extent at times in the Championship.

Adam Virgo is good friends with Glenn Murray. Virgo spoke at the Brighton and Hove Albion Collectors' and Historians' Society (BHACHS) meeting in January 2014. Below is what Virgo had to say about Murray and Poyet (as per the write-up in BHACHS newsletter no.53):-

VirgoMurray.jpg

So Virgo's view - "[Poyet] Getting rid of [Murray] was probably a matter of personal pride."

And I don't think there are any sour grapes here, as elsewhere in his Q&A session Virgo described Poyet as "..a fantastic coach".

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
Adam Virgo is good friends with Glenn Murray. Virgo spoke at the Brighton and Hove Albion Collectors' and Historians' Society (BHACHS) meeting in January 2014. Below is what Virgo had to say about Murray and Poyet (as per the write-up in BHACHS newsletter no.53):-

View attachment 100636

So Virgo's view - "[Poyet] Getting rid of [Murray] was probably a matter of personal pride."

And I don't think there are any sour grapes here, as elsewhere in his Q&A session Virgo described Poyet as "..a fantastic coach".

I have to say, that makes perfect sense, Gus's arrogance, and Muzza's typical Northern sod you attitude.

Cowfold Seagull

Fan of the 17 bus
Apr 22, 2009
Cowfold
I oft recall, with tumultuous and unbridled joy, Glenn’s original home debut vs Crewe.

Out with the old, in with the new... we few, we happy clappy few that bore witness to the quality brace that cleaved the Alex in two.

A class apart, even then... or perhaps; then even.

Well, I too witnessed the vast majority of Glenn's Albion performances the first time around, but l'm blowed if l can remember his hom debut. You must have quite a memory!

Edit. Or could this be the onset of Altzheimers?

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area

View attachment 100636

Cheers. Interesting insight from Adam.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
Our very own Benjamin Button, the slower he gets the better he plays.

carlzeiss

May 19, 2009
Amazonia
Well, I too witnessed the vast majority of Glenn's Albion performances the first time around, but l'm blowed if l can remember his hom debut. You must have quite a memory!

Edit. Or could this be the onset of Altzheimers?

I was there and am sure he scored with a volley , think it may have been the match with the ring of roses goal celebration also .

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here