Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Spider season

afcb

Dec 14, 2007
Have had two monsters appear in the hall this weekend creating mass hysteria . They looked bigger and uglier than usual- warm summer?

Three more big lads / lasses in the understairs cupboard yesterday.

Anyone tried the peppermint thing around the windows. I guess that's how they come in as they dont ring the door bell...or is that a myth ie the route in and the peppermint thing.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Caught a colossal house spider upstairs last week, never seen one as big. They’re taking over I tell ya...........

Jul 7, 2003
Had a large spider appear in the bath much to the dismay of Mrs DCH - one of the biggest I have seen in a while. In my usual humane way (or trying to prove that they are harmless) I went to pick this big bugger up but he was very rapid and I couldn't get him in my hands. Ended up washing him down the plughole - he was a strong swimmer - but expect to see him back again soon.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Only seen a couple, unfortunately I'm battling mice which is a first in about 10 years living here. I was using humane traps for them, but I'm now fed up with them continuing to appear so it's chemical warfare from here on in the little twots.

Jul 7, 2003
Only seen a couple, unfortunately I'm battling mice which is a first in about 10 years living here. I was using humane traps for them, but I'm now fed up with them continuing to appear so it's chemical warfare from here on in the little twots.

Had a few issues with mice over the last couple of years. Tried the sonic things - watched a mouse walk past, stop, look at the thing that is supposed to deter it and then just carry on! Sadly, the most effective method is the old fashioned spring trap. Peanut butter and chocolate spread works well to entice them. Just don't try to set the traps when you have had a few beers as they really hurt when you trap your own fingers.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Had a few issues with mice over the last couple of years. Tried the sonic things - watched a mouse walk past, stop, look at the thing that is supposed to deter it and then just carry on! Sadly, the most effective method is the old fashioned spring trap. Peanut butter and chocolate spread works well to entice them. Just don't try to set the traps when you have had a few beers as they really hurt when you trap your own fingers.

Be thankful you haven’t got rats in the garden, and the associated spring-loaded rat traps. [emoji33][emoji33]

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There

Yep. I went down the sonic repeller route too, bloody useless. I'll try poison first and if that fails I'll go medieval with the spring trap. How many did you trap before you got your infestation under control?

Jul 7, 2003
Yep. I went down the sonic repeller route too, bloody useless. I'll try poison first and if that fails I'll go medieval with the spring trap. How many did you trap before you got your infestation under control?

Only three - an adult and two little ones.

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patreon
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
Only three - an adult and two little ones.

That makes me feel a little better, I caught three and thought I had them all, I had a week without any activity and just yesterday I saw one more. Very disheartening and hence the poison.

Frankie

Put him in the curry
May 23, 2016
Mid west Wales
House spiders are in decline due to the horrible infestation of messy web widows , been bitten by these things and I think I now actually prefer the harmless scurrying across the floor house variety

Richy_Seagull

Oct 7, 2003
Brighton
15e15794d94447bc1f56ffec3198e77e.jpg

This little fella was out outside 5 days ago and then was spotted again in the bath....

The Antikythera Mechanism

The oldest known computer
NSC Patreon
Aug 7, 2003
Had the family over this weekend. Got a glass out of the cupboard, added ice from the ice maker, then added water and passed to my Son who remarked that there was something resembling twigs in the glass. You can guess the rest. The bugger was so big it was difficult to flush down the plug hole.

Gabbafella

Aug 22, 2012

That's all good and well, but you need to be careful. I had a decent sized 36-er, soaked in vinegar, baked in the oven and varnished. I thought I could take the spider, so confident that I even bet the bathroom on it. Cheating ******* could use more than one conker at a time. Having to brush my teeth in the kitchen now.

Southcoast Corsair

Sep 12, 2012
lost at sea
Without these voracious hunters prowling the night, just think about how many other bugs and beasties you would be sharing your homes with. If I find one trapped or cornered by the kids I catch it in a jar (screw touching the big ones!) and set it free under the stairs or behind the kitchen cupboard, where it can contine it’s (free of charge) insect control.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here