Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] England vs India First Test - Edgbaston

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I'm starting to rather like young Curran :thumbsup:

If we can find Sam Curran, we can surely find another Trescothick or Strauss. I don't have the answers, are we trying too many players or not enough? Are we relying too much on county statistics and experience rather than just identifying raw talent in youth?
[MENTION=1413]Mackenzie[/MENTION] made a point about the Australians, and I think he's wrong as their press and pundits are worse than ours if they don't perform, but what they do is think outside the box when they have a problem. They had a problem with opening their batting, they got Warner in to raised eyebrows including their own media (although that turned out well :smile:).

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
India already need their highest run chase in England - doesn't feel like we've got enough when there's someone like Kohli to come.

It's a slightly misleading statistic. They've hand plenty of unsuccessful run chases that have scored a lot more than this.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
180ao.

That might be brilliant in darts, but it's shitehouse in cricket. Plucky England will give this a go and bag a few wickets but, ultimately, fall short. Again.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
(this will sound patronizing, so apologies in advance...) but:

That analysis is far too simplistic, and gives way too little credit to Ashwin, who is a very fine bowler, at the top of his game. Jennings will have known all about 'getting out to' the pitch of the ball, to counter any turn. He will of course have been coached to do so, all his career. He'll have seen that delivery leave Ashwin's hand, judged where he thought it was going to pitch - and moved into where he assessed would be the right position.

That Ashwin has managed to put a good amount of dip on the delivery, means that it pitches shorter than Jennings thought - thus he doesn't get there- it turns sharply, and bounces, and he's left just hoping it beats his bat. It's another good ball. :shrug:

Many years ago a young man with an Aussie accent pitched up at
Horsham looking to play for the summer, his name Tim May. As I'm sure you know he went on to play many many times for the test side and actually ended running the show over there.

He was in his early 20's when he came to us and played two seasons, many counties attempted to sign him but he wasn't interested.

He lodged with a couple called Dave and Brenda Beer grandparents of Will. I faced Tim in nets, stood at slip when he bowled and watched him take a shed load of wickets. This was mainly to do with the drift and speed he could bowl at.
However to counter this the batsman who had the best success were those that had quick feet either to move forwards to smother the ball as it pitched or move backwards and play late. Where a lot go wrong it to do neither but prod half forward waving their bats. I know that drs etc changed the approach of padding away but fleet of foot is the only way.

And no I wasn't patronised!

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Nice to see a bit of fight from Curran. That's enough for me, we may not be as talented as India, but at least we've found a young lad with a bit of something about him.

edit: I'd have given him the new ball. Not Broad.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Nice to see a bit of fight from Curran. That's enough for me, we may not be as talented as India, but at least we've found a young lad with a bit of something about him.

If it's fight you're looking for then Stokes is your man.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Put Malan at third man ffs

hans kraay fan club

The voice of reason.
Helpful Moderator
Mar 16, 2005
Chandlers Ford
Many years ago a young man with an Aussie accent pitched up at
Horsham looking to play for the summer, his name Tim May. As I'm sure you know he went on to play many many times for the test side and actually ended running the show over there.

He was in his early 20's when he came to us and played two seasons, many counties attempted to sign him but he wasn't interested.

He lodged with a couple called Dave and Brenda Beer grandparents of Will. I faced Tim in nets, stood at slip when he bowled and watched him take a shed load of wickets. This was mainly to do with the drift and speed he could bowl at.
However to counter this the batsman who had the best success were those that had quick feet either to move forwards to smother the ball as it pitched or move backwards and play late. Where a lot go wrong it to do neither but prod half forward waving their bats. I know that drs etc changed the approach of padding away but fleet of foot is the only way.

And no I wasn't patronised!

I wasn't questioning the basic premise that good footwork is essential against decent spin bowling. Just your assertion that the batsmen were not coached in that manner. Sometimes the bowler deceives you - it is as simple as that.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here