Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
One more run left in week 4 of couch to 5k.
Question - for morning runs do you eat breakfast before or after your run? I've been fine with eating before up until today (4.7K). As I build up distance in my runs I'm wondering if just water is good enough before a morning run?

I always run ‘empty’ if I can, really no need to fuel beforehand, your body has easily enough energy for a couple of hours running (even more at low intensity).

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
Question - for morning runs do you eat breakfast before or after your run? I've been fine with eating before up until today (4.7K). As I build up distance in my runs I'm wondering if just water is good enough before a morning run?

Anything over five miles, I need to have eaten beforehand.

Trouble is if I eat less than two hours beforehand I always feel a bit queasy, which means for my early morning winter Sunday long runs, or for races I have to get up at silly o’clock for a porridge to set me up for my run.

For parkrun, I find that eating anything at all in the morning beforehand, or even a milky tea, makes me feel like throwing up in the last km - but I think that’s to do with running at speed, because I always really go for it in parkrun, and there’s something about the heavy breathing and diaphragm pumping away in that last sprint that makes me heave if I’ve eaten. I always think that if I could find away of getting some nutrition on board before parkrun without the nausea problem, that would give me a bit of extra speed, but maybe that’s wishful thinking.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Left Back

Jan 22, 2011

Good luck with the C to 5K.

If I'm going straight out then just half a glass of water - anymore and it sloshes around my stomach.

If I've got say, 45 minutes or more before I run, say a parkrun then a light breakfast: cereal / fruit.

(Once whilst stayin in a Hotel and doing the local Park Run, not wanting to miss out on the inclusive breakfast I somehow managed a full fry-up barely 45 minutes before a running ... with no ill effects. )

So whatever works for you, I guess.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
No parkrunning for a few weeks for me. Away this week then flying to / from India for work the following 2 Saturdays. I’ll be back to Hove Park when that’s all done to try a repeat of the great Basketball Court Sprint

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I've only got a five-mile run in the plan that weekend, so I might come and join you.

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
What's everyone's Park Run plans this weekend? With no Prom or Preston Park I'm guessing Hove Park could be very busy. I'm tempted with Bevendean this week or perhaps a cycle to Worthing as the wind is forecasted for 5 MPH, so could be a quick one.

Parkrun 300 for me this weekend, think I may go to Hove Park for a change.

My prep for this milestone will be cheesy chips with too much beer at tomorrow nights friendly and a hangover Saturday morning - bring it on!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Parkrun 300 for me this weekend, think I may go to Hove Park for a change.

My prep for this milestone will be cheesy chips with too much beer at tomorrow nights friendly and a hangover Saturday morning - bring it on!

....and the dietary winner is BenE's brother. Congratulations in advance for the triple century.

D

Deleted member 2719

Do runners change their running styles like golfer change their swings?

I don't run like I used to mainly due to injuries, is it possible to get back a longer gait?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I don't run like I used to mainly due to injuries, is it possible to get back a longer gait?

I have made a conscious effort over the past year or so to keep my core more upright. I used to hunch over when tired, and not bother about it, but this new approach seems to work as I seem to go a bit faster for longer. This is all though. I do stretch more before runs these days though.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill

I absolutely did change, but not to a longer stride but a shorter one........made a deliberate change several years after suffering loads and loads of injuries. Happened to see a book called 'Chi Running' by Danny Dreyer - quite a revelation. Reinforced what I learned from the book by doing a one-day course with a Chi-running instructor - really worthwhile. Essentially based around keeping core solid, centre of gravity ahead of your knees (vastly reduces impact) and running at a high cadence (think 'pitter patter' rather than a loping 'thud thud')

http://chirunning.uk/

https://www.worldofbooks.com/chi-ru...w9ITcbXA2ny7bh_8ZkkaEMsi4umsM_EhoCuBgQAvD_BwE

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Agree with the previous old posters. I try and keep shoulders back and head straight. I also work on trying to increase cadence with shorter stride. Unfortunately I still seem to have the same gait everyone mimicked at school. Slouched shoulders, elbows out and Knocky face.
The longer stride for me only comes with increased push off when running faster than tempo pace. This is faster than my 5k pace and how I would like to run all the time..........

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I absolutely did change, but not to a longer stride but a shorter one........made a deliberate change several years after suffering loads and loads of injuries. Happened to see a book called 'Chi Running' by Danny Dreyer - quite a revelation. Reinforced what I learned from the book by doing a one-day course with a Chi-running instructor - really worthwhile. Essentially based around keeping core solid, centre of gravity ahead of your knees (vastly reduces impact) and running at a high cadence (think 'pitter patter' rather than a loping 'thud thud')

http://chirunning.uk/

https://www.worldofbooks.com/chi-ru...w9ITcbXA2ny7bh_8ZkkaEMsi4umsM_EhoCuBgQAvD_BwE

Interesting. Something which has interested me is how shorter runners, with shorter stride, and the pitter-patter you describe, pick me off effortlessly in the last half mile of my recent park runs. They seem to be smoothly and effortlessly, but very quickly, going through the motions whilst I’m blowing like a horse with much more visible effort expended than them and a definite thud-thud.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Interesting. Something which has interested me is how shorter runners, with shorter stride, and the pitter-patter you describe, pick me off effortlessly in the last half mile of my recent park runs. They seem to be smoothly and effortlessly, but very quickly, going through the motions whilst I’m blowing like a horse with much more visible effort expended than them and a definite thud-thud.

There is one particular exercise on the course that is quite startling after you've grasped the basics - essentially, you just lean forward to run faster. This is demonstrated by running together in a line, and then one or two are asked to lean a bit (no other changes). They immediately start breaking ahead of the rest. I'd heartily recommend reading the book even if you don't want to adopt the full-on, slightly hippyish Chi thing - there are some very useful technique takeaways.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Check their pbs from the results. If they have run off their pace and you set off to fast you have no chance whether they pitter patter or thud thud. [MENTION=3736]Mr Banana[/MENTION] seems to have a very fast short stride but I'm rarely in a position to analyse.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto

Whenever I see photos of myself running, it always looks like I'm not trying as hard as the people around me. Even if I'm completely blowing I'll somehow make it look effortless.

For example, I'm in the red, overtaking the other guy.

SportingLife10k.jpg

Also, I'm never going to match that bib number!

BenElton'sBrother

Nov 30, 2003
Hove
....and the dietary winner is BenE's brother. Congratulations in advance for the triple century.

Cheers fella, I guess this would explain why my times have barely improved over the nigh on ten years of plodding round Hove Park :)

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Considering Bevendearln pr tomorrow although the heat may mean I sack it off.

How the bloody hell do you find it? Directions on the site look a little complicated?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Considering Bevendearln pr tomorrow although the heat may mean I sack it off.

How the bloody hell do you find it? Directions on the site look a little complicated?

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Been twice and still not sure. Best bet is to head to The Bevy Community Pub. Park up and you'll be able to follow/ask other Parkrunners. It will be hot.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here