Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] What to do when injured in a road accident

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
He needs to claim against the other drivers insurance that they would have given him. He will also have a police report he can give since they attended the scene.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Update - I told him to try and do it through his own insurance, as per the advice here. He's happy with that, and contacted them. They want to charge him 25% of whatever payout he gets! WTF? They'd also get their costs paid by the other side. I think that's outrageous.

Is that what you guys had in mind when you suggested using his own insurance company? I googled for how much these legal companies charge when doing this sort of claim for you, and clicked a link to one of the well known companies that advertise a lot - they said they don't take any cut of the payout, they get their payment from the other side (which is what I'd expect to happen). I wonder if they'd put in the effort to get a decent payout in the first place though, or if their contract ensures the claimant has to settle on their advice or something daft?

He needs to claim against the other drivers insurance that they would have given him.
Yes of course, but who should do the claiming on his behalf? He could write them a letter himself, but I expect he'd get more if it was coming from an experienced legal team.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Scream for a policeman.

Who does what would depend on who gets the better result. 75% of alot is better than 100% of very little. Although I have never had to claim for this, so what do I know.

Saunders

Oct 1, 2017
Brighton
Update - I told him to try and do it through his own insurance, as per the advice here. He's happy with that, and contacted them. They want to charge him 25% of whatever payout he gets! WTF? They'd also get their costs paid by the other side. I think that's outrageous.

Is that what you guys had in mind when you suggested using his own insurance company? I googled for how much these legal companies charge when doing this sort of claim for you, and clicked a link to one of the well known companies that advertise a lot - they said they don't take any cut of the payout, they get their payment from the other side (which is what I'd expect to happen). I wonder if they'd put in the effort to get a decent payout in the first place though, or if their contract ensures the claimant has to settle on their advice or something daft?

Yes of course, but who should do the claiming on his behalf? He could write them a letter himself, but I expect he'd get more if it was coming from an experienced legal team.

If you are talking about a Personal Injury claim then insurances hate those as they can run for years (waiting to see long term effects) and can get very expensive. Its best IMO to claim through your own insurance as they have a vested interest in getting a successful claim from the other insurance otherwise they will have to pay you instead. It does seem wrong to me as 25% could be a lot of money and sounds similar to the accident chasers that will not charge but will take from your payout. I would expect better from my own insurer. The alternative is to claim himself with the other insurer but they can string it out for years and they are bloody good at that. I wish him luck with whatever he chooses.

Edit you only get payment from the other side if you win, so I would check the smallprint of those companies.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
[MENTION=4019]Triggaaar[/MENTION], get your mate to 'find a local lawyer' via the APIL website.
Thanks. What kind of offer would you hope they'd make? The driver has already admitted responsibility, the police were there, they know it was the car driver's fault, so the only case to fight is the amount of compensation.

Motogull

Todd Warrior
Sep 16, 2005
Thanks. What kind of offer would you hope they'd make? The driver has already admitted responsibility, the police were there, they know it was the car driver's fault, so the only case to fight is the amount of compensation.

If liability is admitted, then its low risk so the success fee should be low. As to value, it all depends on type and severity of injury. Torn ligaments might not be simple to heal. Best bet is not to settle until there is a plateau of recovery so there is better certainty of outcome and lower risk of settling at an undervalue (which is exactly what the other driver's insurers will want).

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill

Just goes to show the false saving if you don't take out Legal Expenses cover when you arrange your motor insurance!

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
......He's ok...... He has a slightly injured knee, torn ligaments in his shoulder, etc.

To try to give this a bit of context, is he able to function normally/work?

What’s he looking to get out of this accident?

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Just goes to show the false saving if you don't take out Legal Expenses cover when you arrange your motor insurance!
More so if you're a biker I imagine. And bikers should also ensure they have a good will.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here