Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

The Amex atmosphere and maintaining it

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
Trying to be as unbiased as possible ... How do u guys rate our atmosphere on monday compared the the game at riverside and hillsboro?

For me the riverside was immense and ear piercing and constant. Hillsboro was a wall of noise, bouncing and drumming. The amex was loud and proud. All 3 were fantastic. I think the riverside topped the lot for me...... But then again it would be easier to compare had we been in the away end Monday to gauge home noise

To build on Monday and possibly crank up more what can be done?
Do we still need to try a drum
Do we need to get in the seats early
Heavy metal rock music blaring out?
Flags at every game?

lordlush1972

Aug 15, 2006
Newhaven
I belive Grimsby recently lost out in the playoffs, then this year they started an idea and called it operation promotion.
Every game they had different themes and different ways of getting an atmosphere and low and behold they went up this year, I'll try and find the article.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
you ll never maintain that it was a special game like the boro and and wednesday away was personally i would nt want to change it.it was a very special night monday bar the result

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
Good thread and a much needed discussion over the coming months before the new season. Monday night showed just how good the Amex can be.

I like the idea of the honesty flags used in SWC. Could the club put on loads of flags that are kept at The Amex and you just help yourself each time?

Baldseagull

Jan 26, 2012
Crawley
The atmosphere at winner takes all games, will always be more intense than a league game where a point is still useful. However, we can improve on the general atmosphere.

STOP WITH THE DRUM SUGGESTION THOUGH!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Aug 8, 2005
I like the idea of the honesty flags used in SWC. Could the club put on loads of flags that are kept at The Amex and you just help yourself each time?

This is a good idea. I also think more streamers for when the teams come out would be good. The cub could stock these in bulk in the club cheaper than generally available.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
As already mentioned on an other thread, I would like to see the South stand as the '20s plenty' stand. 20 quid seats so it is always full especially for the cameras!!

Last edited:

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Good thread and a much needed discussion over the coming months before the new season. Monday night showed just how good the Amex can be.

The club have twice given away 20K+ flags to STHs and others. I think I have 6 of them at home now. If people want to bring flags then they should make the tiny effort involved in bringing along their own. 100% flags would soon lose its appeal and specialness in any case.

A key step for me is that the atmosphere from Monday night must be properly captured and publicised on the internet. A lot of the stuff to do with "atmospheres" is self fulfilling based on what people believe it is going to be like or is normally like.

The official BHAFC instagram tweet thing of the whole ground singing SBTS is incredible. I had no idea it sounded anything like as good as that. We need the whole thing on Youtube and linked on here. In fact, they need to gather together all the best audio/video footage they can find of the crowd singing (NOT of the PA music pre-match) and make a 10 minute film about the atmosphere on Monday night and put it on Youtube and make it part of a sticky thread on here.

Once more people realise just how amazingly good it is, and the effect on the players/opposition, they will be more likely to join in confidently and make the effort.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Do a new pre match montage for the big screens with lots of footage of the end of this season - Dean, Hillsbrough, Amex flags and noise etc.

JCL666

absurdism
Sep 23, 2011
I think it'll "just happen" now that people have experienced it.

Not with the same level of intensity every game, but definitely more than usual.

Apr 30, 2013
It's grim oop north
I wonder how loud it was for away fans compared to how it sounded for us at the riverside and hillsboro. Hopefully was the same for those weds fans in the away end

We need a proper singing section in the north. And as mentioned above fill the south with cheap tickets. May get the non-signers that just want a cheap tit away from the north

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
The club have twice given away 20K+ flags to STHs and others. I think I have 6 of them at home now. If people want to bring flags then they should make the tiny effort involved in bringing along their own. 100% flags would soon lose its appeal and specialness in any case.

Agreed, I wasn't suggesting flags for every seat each game, just more flags in the honesty box dotted around more parts of the ground.

Black Rod

Jan 19, 2013
I think it'll "just happen" now that people have experienced it.

Not with the same level of intensity every game, but definitely more than usual.

It won't. If we find ourselves 1-0 down to Burton Albion next season on a Tuesday night it will be normal service resumed

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
It won't. If we find ourselves 1-0 down to Burton Albion next season on a Tuesday night it will be normal service resumed

Correct. Lets face it, Monday night was a one-off atmosphere, probably never to be repeated until towards the end of next season when we are at home against (hopefully) Sheffield Wednesday, we're 5-0 up and a win secures automatic promotion.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Not seen that. Any chance of a link or putting on here? Pretty please.
Can someone else do this? It is worth it as obviously not everyone has seen it yet and it is very relevant to this thread.

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
Correct. Lets face it, Monday night was a one-off atmosphere, probably never to be repeated until towards the end of next season when we are at home against (hopefully) Sheffield Wednesday, we're 5-0 up and a win secures automatic promotion.
Agreed that Wednesday on Monday was a one off 12/10 for atmosphere...

This thread is about the normal atmosphere being much better and it clearly can be.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here