Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I'll be there. In fact it's my turn to pay for quite a lot of you....I don't want a reputation as a tight wad!

Let me know if she wants to borrow the beach hut to continue after Parkrun morning.

Thanks - I’ll ask - I think she is pretty well connected with the cafe so may have something arranged with them.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Quick heads up, a friend of mine who is currently being treated for breast cancer is organising a Macmillan coffee and cake sale morning after Hove Prom Park Run on Saturday. Weather looks good on Saturday so it would be great if any of the NSC parkrun contingent can support.
Maybe a good opportunity for some of our Cto5k runners to make their debut - they always have walk/jog pacers there.
Hope to see you there.

Here’s a link if you want to share further...
https://www.facebook.com/events/550219402096690/?ti=icl

I've been following her story on Instagram, very sad but her response to it has been amazing. Running every day after the chemo is a remarkable effort and it's amazing how she's kept a smile on her face, for the pictures at least.

Sadly, I'm committed to a weekend in Crawley this weekend so I'll be tackling Tilgate Park. Anyone got any experience of running it?

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Quick heads up, a friend of mine who is currently being treated for breast cancer is organising a Macmillan coffee and cake sale morning after Hove Prom Park Run on Saturday. Weather looks good on Saturday so it would be great if any of the NSC parkrun contingent can support.
Maybe a good opportunity for some of our Cto5k runners to make their debut - they always have walk/jog pacers there.
Hope to see you there.

My kids are away at a mates’ for Friday night & Saturday morning - good. They’re away because we’re at another charity do on Friday that has the potential to be a very late night indeed - bad. I will aim for the prom but if I “do a Ninja” I’ll also chuck some cash in post event.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Hope to see you there.

Not sure where I'll be on Satdi but will chuck in a few quid if I don't do Prom. Nuff respect to your pal :)

Seaford by the sea

Sep 29, 2008
seaford
Just thought I'd share that the Seaford park run test went ahead last weekend. Should start for real next spring.

Personally, haven't been running with persistent Achilles problems, now on my third comeback, the year has been a complete write off.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Just thought I'd share that the Seaford park run test went ahead last weekend. Should start for real next spring.

Personally, haven't been running with persistent Achilles problems, now on my third comeback, the year has been a complete write off.

Good news for the Seaford Parkrun. Bad news about your Achilles. Comeback steadily, your fitness will be greater than your Achilles heel.

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
I've been following her story on Instagram, very sad but her response to it has been amazing. Running every day after the chemo is a remarkable effort and it's amazing how she's kept a smile on her face, for the pictures at least.

Sadly, I'm committed to a weekend in Crawley this weekend so I'll be tackling Tilgate Park. Anyone got any experience of running it?

I’ve done Tilgate a couple of times. Make sure you are at the front of the narrow start as it gets very congested after about 200m when you start going round the lake. It’s a really nice run - twice round the lake with a little deviation up a short but very steep hill followed by a very quick downhill stretch betweeen the two laps. You should be looking at similar to Hove Park times I’d say.
Cafe afterwards not great

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
I didn't make it into next year's Boston Marathon :down:

The cutoff was a massive 4:52 under qualifying times this year (I only had 3:27). They've now taken 5 minutes off the qualifying times, so I need to come in under 3h05 to apply next year. Probably need a 3h02 to make sure.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

The cutoff was a massive 4:52 under qualifying times this year (I only had 3:27). They've now taken 5 minutes off the qualifying times, so I need to come in under 3h05 to apply next year. Probably need a 3h02 to make sure.

Commiserations. Good that it's that competitive and will mean more when you qualify for 2020.

driddles

Nov 8, 2003
Ontario, Canada

There's a book called Running With Raven, about a guy who runs 8 miles every day in Miami (for about 40 years). There's a few runners who run with him who decided to run through their chemo treatments and achieved amazing results. Basically one guy going through chemo said he felt like crap every day but he knew he wasn't sick (in the sense of having a cold) so he decided to go out and do the runs. He and many others kicked cancer's butt by running through their treatments.

The book is not about cancer, but it's an interesting side story http://www.runningwithraven.com/

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton

Same for me - just got the email. I really thought I might be in with a chance with 3:27 margin. Oh well, it’s Brighton again, or London if the ballot falls my way!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patreon
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Same for me - just got the email. I really thought I might be in with a chance with 3:27 margin. Oh well, it’s Brighton again, or London if the ballot falls my way!

Yeah I thought I had a good shot too. I at least though I'd be close to the cutoff, not expecting too much of an increase after they had a big jump the previous year. On the plus side, I'm happier to miss out by 1:25 rather than a few seconds.

Phoenix Marathon in February is next on my list.

Garry Nelson's teacher

May 11, 2015
Bloody Worthing!
I’ve done Tilgate a couple of times. Make sure you are at the front of the narrow start as it gets very congested after about 200m when you start going round the lake. It’s a really nice run - twice round the lake with a little deviation up a short but very steep hill followed by a very quick downhill stretch betweeen the two laps. You should be looking at similar to Hove Park times I’d say.
Cafe afterwards not great

Agreed - but that hill is nasty and the congestion is bad so I'd add a bit to Hove Park times (always the optimist, me).

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
[tweet]1045941419494526977[/tweet]

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I imagine your average cyclist could complete that without a toot on the old inhaler :whistle:

Whereas you joggers couldn't do that without without a red face, strapping, walkman and a Tommy Tippet bottle of water.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here