Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Are Burnley relegation contenders this year?

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
On the basis of everything, would you rather have had a Wolves win or a Burnley win ?

For me Burnley are an honest club - - - - ?

Yeah, I think it was really honest, the way Joey Barton stamped on Kayal and then threw himself onto the floor to distract the ref. Of course had he been sent off it would have been very unlikely that the outplayed Burnley would have got anything from that game, he wouldn't have taken the last minute free-kick which led to their equaliser and we'd have been promoted instead of them or Middlesbrough.

I hope they sink without a trace.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
They didn’t do much in the way of transfer business in the summer though, whereas we have evidently continued to strengthen. Think Vydra was the only player they brought in ?

Not quite...Gibson CB from Bro and of course Hart (who was a bit of an emergency signing)....but I think the drift of your post is true

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Sure Fulham and Wolves have spent big but so far I would say Wolves have spent right. A great side last season and impressed me today. Play good attacking football with no fear.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Their dedicated super agent is handing well known, quality internationals to them on a silver platter, with no rivals bidding.

For anyone who watches European football, the Wolves squad is a who's who of proven quality.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
There is a top six (the obvious ones) or eight (plus Everton and Leicester?). Beyond that, everyone's a relegation contender, and we're right in there. So far, Wolves and Bournemouth have shown the most to pull away from that.
Cardiff and Huddersfield look likeliest for the drop. Fortunately, Newcastle have started badly, and have an implosion not too far away.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There is a top six (the obvious ones) or eight (plus Everton and Leicester?). Beyond that, everyone's a relegation contender, and we're right in there. So far, Wolves and Bournemouth have shown the most to pull away from that.
Cardiff and Huddersfield look likeliest for the drop. Fortunately, Newcastle have started badly, and have an implosion not too far away.

Wolves will finish above Leicester IMO.

casbom

Jul 24, 2007
Haven't Burnley got some key players out at the moment? Such as Defour? Brady? Once those type of players back they will start climbing the table.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
14 contenders for relegation.

Or Cardiff and Huddersfield and one other.

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Burnley got 35 points in the first half of last season, including 8 from the first 5 games. One point so far, out of 15, suggests a less successful season ahead and I am not sure whether Dyche will be able to win enough ' ugly ' points to keep them out of trouble. With Bmuff, Wolves and Watford looking likely to be comfortable and Everton unlikely to struggle, that leaves the other 10. Huddrsfield and Cardiff are clearly favourites for the bottom two positions, so that leaves one from eight.
Leicester, West Ham, Southampton, Palace, Burnley, Fulham, Newcastle and BHA. Who can we finish above?

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Burnley got 35 points in the first half of last season, including 8 from the first 5 games. One point so far, out of 15, suggests a less successful season ahead and I am not sure whether Dyche will be able to win enough ' ugly ' points to keep them out of trouble. With Bmuff, Wolves and Watford looking likely to be comfortable and Everton unlikely to struggle, that leaves the other 10. Huddrsfield and Cardiff are clearly favourites for the bottom two positions, so that leaves one from eight.
Leicester, West Ham, Southampton, Palace, Burnley, Fulham, Newcastle and BHA. Who can we finish above?

Newcastle, Burnley and Fulham I reckon, so 15th.

scamander

Aug 9, 2011
Hi all,

Claret fan here, I wouldn't say we are panicking just yet but there is more than a whiff of the relegation scrap about us this season. We didn't strengthen as we should have done in the summer, Sean's made a few subtle nods to this in the interviews, the suspicion is that the board didn't back him and that they were unable to get certain deals done. That said we were after players like Clucas, which isn't really inspiring. We have a decent amount to spend but have also completely renovated our training facilities which cost a bit.

We have been crying out for more creativity for some time, there are only two real fit wingers in the whole team (we've a kid called McNeill coming through who looks good). Brady is injured and Defour can't be relied on as he picks up knocks. Last season was really quite something but it needs to be remembered that the same number of points separated us from Liverpool in 4th as Swansea. It was very tight.

There comes a point at which we need to vary things a little, Vydra looks something different to what we have. Up next are plucky Bournemouth*, Cardiff and Huddersfield. I suspect that we'll know much more about where our fate lies after these games.

(in danger of having their 'plucky' title taken by Wolves).

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Zaha Palace will reach mid table - Zaha-less Palace will be vying for the bottom spot with Cardiff.

Its amazing how much difference one player makes to a team. Last season, he hardly featured in the first seven games. He came back v Chelsea and they got their first points of the season. They walk a tightrope with him. One serious injury and they will definitely be bottom 3-4.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Its amazing how much difference one player makes to a team. Last season, he hardly featured in the first seven games. He came back v Chelsea and they got their first points of the season. They walk a tightrope with him. One serious injury and they will definitely be bottom 3-4.

please - keep this about Burnley - we don't want to attract trolls

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Which is why they are so up in arms that he is picked on. They are desperately trying to get refs to change their opinion of him and start giving him the benefit or doubt.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Newcastle, Burnley and Fulham I reckon, so 15th.

Newcastle have 1 point from 5 games, but they've already played Spurs, Chelsea, Manchester City and Arsenal, each of which they've scored against and only lost by a single goal margin. Think they're in a false position, but being there can erode a fragile confidence and a team spirit that has all the bitterness toward the owner behind the scenes.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here