Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] "Programmes have become bloated and outdated - it's time to change or go"

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Might be worth rebooting the idea.

I'm guessing it didn't get much revenue first time around.

would have thought that for a lot of football fans its the collection and completing of seasons, looking through them again etc that is a big incentive for the purchase of a physical copy. people dont buy them because they are mega interesting. even less so now teams etc are announced online - sure most of the purchases are based on habit, having something to flick through. etc, not because you crave information in the most convenient format available.

el punal

http://www.wsc.co.uk/features/14133...loated-and-outdated-it-s-time-to-change-or-go

Totally agree with this.

Personally have no interest in a bulky £3.50 programme. Have said on NSC before that I'd rather have something half the size for £2/£2.50.

I must admit that I enjoy reading the programme when I get home, rather than at the game. Although £3.50 to some seems excessive it’s never bothered me. It would be interesting to know how many programmes are sold on match days and whether the sales have increased, or not, in the last couple of years - and also, how many view the programme on line.

Jimmy Grimble

Hopefully someone starts producing a decent fanzine again. Much more inclined to buy one and roll it up in the back pocket.

Brovion

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
BTW, the club could easily trial a cheap 'Matchday' edition (for £2/£2.50) alongside the 'Souvenir' edition (£3.50).

In fact, some avid collectors would have to buy BOTH.

Indeed, and we could go further. We've got half-and-half scarves - why not have half-and-half programmes? Half dedicated to the Albion and the other half to the visitors? They'd be great souvenirs!

What's Paul Barber's email address?

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Could they not give out FREE a single sheet with the latest news on one side for those that want a read at halftime etc and both teams 25 man squad on the other plus of course ref and assistants. They could be given out or left to collect by the turnstiles or do we make a huge profit that we would lose by doing away with them.

The Spanish

Aug 12, 2008
P
Could they not give out FREE a single sheet with the latest news on one side for those that want a read at halftime etc and both teams 25 man squad on the other plus of course ref and assistants. They could be given out or left to collect by the turnstiles or do we make a huge profit that we would lose by doing away with them.

you mean old reserve team programmes basically

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Talking about bloated and outdated.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
BTW, the club could easily trial a cheap 'Matchday' edition (for £2/£2.50) alongside the 'Souvenir' edition (£3.50).

In fact, some avid collectors would have to buy BOTH.

Im surprised profit Paul has not thought of this already.

Bit like magazines with cover variants - people collecting all 5 or whatver.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Used to always buy a programme but stopped after realising I only read about 10 pages of it usually. Would definitely enjoy a slimmed down version if it were offered. Got to be a point some years in the future when it isn't economically viable to make and sell them any more.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Hopefully someone starts producing a decent fanzine again. Much more inclined to buy one and roll it up in the back pocket.

NSC-produced fanzine? We've done the odd Falmer one before, but reckon there'd be no shortage of material or talented designers to produce one on a more regular basis [MENTION=6886]Bozza[/MENTION]

crookie

Jun 14, 2013
Back in Sussex
Something to read on the bus home as it's an hour and a half journey, but can totally see the OP's point. They have become very large, and a waste of money if you just want something for a 5 minute flick through

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
I don't think he's saying he does. He's putting it out there that maybe people would rather have a smaller production at a smaller cost. I for one agree with him. Programmes these days aren't far off what you'd have seen for an FA Cup final programme in the 80s. They are just bloated and pointless.

Have to agree. I'm not sure whether I'll continue buying them. I've kept programmes from every game I've attended since the early 60s, but many more and my attic floor will collapse. The older ones were so much more relevant. I'm afraid there's too much crap in the current ones …. for example the feature on the women's team!!

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann

NSC-produced fanzine? We've done the odd Falmer one before, but reckon there'd be no shortage of material or talented designers to produce one on a more regular basis @<u><a href="http://www.northstandchat.com/member.php?u=6886" target="_blank">Bozza</a></u>

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Personally I'm not bothered with them as pretty much all the information is so readily available in digital formats on-line on so many websites etc.

If the club feel they can still generate income from them, then I have no problem in them carrying on. I suspect though that more and more people now look on-line for their footy info and the physical format is starting to look outdated and like it will fizzle out in years to come. Coupled with the cost of going to football being as expensive as it is for so many, avoiding physical programmes are just another way keeping my costs down on match day.

As I said, if the club generates profit to put back in the club then why not, but on a personal note I'd just like a printed squad sheet on going through the turnstiles like many clubs in Europe do.

I'm happy that the club produces a programme.

But, like the author of the WSC article, I feel that clubs blindly think that the majority of fans want something bigger and more lavish (and therefore more expensive), when a sizeable percentage of fans clearly don't.

Husty

Mooderator
Oct 18, 2008
Indeed, and we could go further. We've got half-and-half scarves - why not have half-and-half programmes? Half dedicated to the Albion and the other half to the visitors? They'd be great souvenirs!

What's Paul Barber's email address?

Frankly this would make it a lot more interesting. There's only so much guff one can write about one of the teams, and anyone with even half an eye on the club will know all of it anyway, whereas there's generally plenty I don't know about the opposition teams that I might enjoy finding out about.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Perhaps the answer is a less pages programme that also has fanzine style material inside. As much you want pen pictures of the opposition and the all important fixtures and line ups and news about the other BHAFC teams I would also like to see off the wall stuff like top ten players haircuts over the years or fastest sendings off in Albion history.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here