Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Hughton's Away Tactics

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
Obviously this isn't always the case when we play away, but over the past couple of seasons there have been a few games in which we seem reluctant to take many risks or to go 'in for the kill' when drawing. I'm not saying we seem content to sit back and take a point, but that CH isn't prepared to run the risk of losing the game. For example, the Cardiff, Ipswich and perhaps Derby games this season spring to mind.

Over the course of a season, do you think we would pick up, or drop more points if CH was prepared to take more risks away from home?

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
When teams aren't offering much offensively of course it is tempting to 'go for it' but sometimes it is best just to secure the point and move on. If Derby had nicked the win it could have had great implications come the end of the season

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Over the course of a season, do you think we would pick up, or drop more points if CH was prepared to take more risks away from home?
Good question, but I think Chris is better placed to answer than me, and his answer is no.

HCxUK

Apr 18, 2014
This season it hasn't been as much of an issue, but in terms last season there's definitely a decent argument to suggest that our away tactics, certainly at the start of the season, might have cost us points overall...

jcdenton08

Enemy of the People
NSC Patreon
Oct 17, 2008
I think everyone will be happy with the draw. Both managers, sets of players and majority of supporters.

gazingdown

Feb 26, 2011
This season it hasn't been as much of an issue, but in terms last season there's definitely a decent argument to suggest that our away tactics, certainly at the start of the season, might have cost us points overall...

The tactics that resulted in 89 points!!!!

lawros left foot

Glory hunting since 1969
Jun 11, 2011
Worthing
Obviously this isn't always the case when we play away, but over the past couple of seasons there have been a few games in which we seem reluctant to take many risks or to go 'in for the kill' when drawing. I'm not saying we seem content to sit back and take a point, but that CH isn't prepared to run the risk of losing the game. For example, the Cardiff, Ipswich and perhaps Derby games this season spring to mind.

We lost the promotion at home last season,not away.

Boro 0-3
Wolves 0-1
Ipswich 0-1

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I agree that his away tactics are on the conservative side but and I used to think he was too conservative but now we have players like Murray and Knockaert that can nick a goal it's pragmatic. He's got a great record in this division and knows what he's doing.

GoldWithFalmer

Seaweed! Seaweed!
Apr 24, 2011
SouthCoast
I agree that his away tactics are on the conservative side but and I used to think he was too conservative but now we have players like Murray and Knockaert that can nick a goal it's pragmatic. He's got a great record in this division and knows what he's doing.

Very much this,we start and perhaps always have from a defensive standpoint,but times have changed,we don't need a 3rd man in midfield these days in the main and well it is all about players.

I am pleased with a point and more than happy with a clean sheet today,went 2-2 on the prediction thread and despite out fair record at Cardiff it's often a hard place to go.

He as you say knows what he is doing.

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
I think it's important to acknowledge that playing away games will always be more challenging because the home side will invariably try to introduce elements that make it hard for the away team to play the way they would at their home ground. Dale said in his radio interview that Cardiff had grown the grass long and kept it dry, two things that are designed to disrupt our style of play. So don't fall into the trap of thinking that the tactics away are necessarily the way the team would ideally like to play.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
I felt today Baldock made lots of runs when our midfield had the ball but the ball ended up going sideways or backwards. Also Skalak isn't mobile enough and seems to follow his marker rather than provide a forward outlet so the ball also ends up going sideways.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
I think that CH views it as hang on to what you have and if the chnace comes to grab more do so but dont get caught out.

His view on home games and away games are exactly the same. Try and win the match but if you cant win it you have got to and make sure that you don't lose it. The only difference with the away games is that the opposition are more likely to come at you so you have got to make sure you are prepared for that

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here