Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Third place and playoffs

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
Three up, three down. None of this play off bollocks.

Rewind 12/13 & 13/14; would you feel same? I was against the POs originally but now accept they do keep interest going. This season is exceptional in that top 6 are known with two games to spare, but it is rarely like that.

Not keen on the 6th plays 5th etc route for reasons stated on here: 3rd placed team has to wait a long time even to get a game, and 6th place team is knackered by the end if it gets there. The only way I can see of giving 3rd/4th more preference is a goal start but to my knowledge that has never been used in football and sort of goes against the grain of 'everyone is equal at the start'. It is the old question of what is the least imperfect system and we probably have it now.

warmleyseagull

Apr 17, 2011
Beaminster, Dorset
I like the German way of doing it.

The bottom two get relegated and the top two get promoted. Then the third from bottom plays the third from top in a playoff.

The original POs had a version of that where 3rd bottom was in POs with 3rd. 4th 5th. The German version doesnt get round problem of having meaningless games for even more teams at end of season.

worthingseagull123

May 5, 2012
If we sneaked into sixth place on the last day and went up through play offs, how many of us here would be saying how unfair etc LOL.

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I said many years ago that the ten pin bowling ladder system is fairest and stick by that now as I stuck with it when we were 6th and 4th. 5 v 6, 4 v winner, 3 v winner at Wembley. 6th means you are 3 games (2 away and 1 neutral), 3rd means you are 1 game away. But that is 3 games not 5 so Sky will never sign off,

Laridae

Apr 28, 2011
West of Sussex
I said many years ago that the ten pin bowling ladder system is fairest and stick by that now as I stuck with it when we were 6th and 4th. 5 v 6, 4 v winner, 3 v winner at Wembley. 6th means you are 3 games (2 away and 1 neutral), 3rd means you are 1 game away. But that is 3 games not 5 so Sky will never sign off,
I really like the idea of this!

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
I really like the idea of this!
Someone mentioned on it here the other day. But I did mention it first. Honest! :) It was when Sky didn't have as much sport to show and there was a ten pin bowling tournament. They play round robin and then play a ladder system. So you come 10th, you have to beat everyone above you. Not just beat the player that beat the player.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here