Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Free agent players.

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
We have submitted a 25 man squad that cannot be changed until January. Any players signed now cannot be registered to play in the Premier League.

Yup. That's a clear and succinct response. Will it prevent further threads being started about striker signings, free agents, etc?

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
We have submitted a 25 man squad that cannot be changed until January. Any players signed now cannot be registered to play in the Premier League.

thank you, still a stupid rule...........employee goes to employer, says 'can I transfer to another city/office ?' , employer says, 'no, you'll have to wait until January, that's the rules' .............daft !

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
Exactly.

We'll get a relatively easy signing done very early in January - eg Leo, Barnes, Niasse - and then work on more ambitious targets throughout the window.

Maybe you will get an "easy" striker signing in January - but I very much doubt it will be Ashley Barnes if Burnley are in the relegation zone (almost certain).:)

***As for the 25-man squad rule...Am I right in thinking a free agent can be signed and play between NOW and January if the club concerned have only submitted a squad with 24 names on it?

I haven't checked BFC's squad list but I doubt Dean Marney will have been included considering his knee injury (suffered against Arsenal in January) will keep him out until after Christmas.

Have Brighton named 25 players or kept a "slot" open for a free agent striker?

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Players didn't want to join us NOW, why on earth are they going to want to join us THEN?

Andone wanted to join us, but his club prevented it, due to an injury to another player. I would think we'd go back for him in January.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Maybe you will get an "easy" striker signing in January - but I very much doubt it will be Ashley Barnes if Burnley are in the relegation zone (almost certain).:)
Just realised that we've already signed an U21 striker for Jan 1st, so I reckon the "easy" signing is actually already done.

Whether we now go for 1 or 2 strikers in January will depend on whether Tomer has extended his contract or not by the time the window opens - I happen to think he'll be offered another year if he does ok in the next month or so.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Andone wanted to join us, but his club prevented it, due to an injury to another player. I would think we'd go back for him in January.

I reckon so too, but he won't come unless we have a punchers chance of staying up. Don't forget, other clubs will be alerted to him by then. I reckon we will face some competition.

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I reckon so too, but he won't come unless we have a punchers chance of staying up. Don't forget, other clubs will be alerted to him by then. I reckon we will face some competition.

Burnley were also in advanced discussions about signing either Andone OR Majeed Waris (Lorient) but we ended up with bl**dy Nakhi Wells.

Strong rumour Aaron Lennon was within a whisker of joining on loan until Koeman put a block on it.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Burnley were also in advanced discussions about signing either Andone OR Majeed Waris (Lorient) but we ended up with bl**dy Nakhi Wells.

Strong rumour Aaron Lennon was within a whisker of joining on loan until Koeman put a block on it.
I doubt you'll be in for Landone, as you've spent £20m on Wells and Wood. *snigger*

lancyclaret

Jan 10, 2014
I doubt you'll be in for Landone, as you've spent £20m on Wells and Wood. *snigger*

Wood has already repaid a slice of his fee with that last-gasp equaliser against Spurs at Wembley.:)

Back on topic...I checked and quite a few PL clubs have submitted squads with less than 25 names on the list. For example, West Brom have "only" named 20 players, Chelsea 21....Burnley 24.

Does that mean West Brom could go out today, sign FIVE free agents and play them ALL against the Seagulls on Saturday? Or do these "free agents" have to wait until Jan 1 to play?

DerekZoolander

Aug 15, 2011
Talking of Hal Robson Kanu, how has made a living as a professional football player I'll never know, one of the most useless players when he used to play for Reading.

Briefly glanced at that list and for some reason thought Alvarro Navarro said Alan Navarro and thought Christ when was he only 32 and all of a sudden Uruguayan.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
And he wasn't a free agent after the window closed. He joined West Brom on deadline day.

Split-Shift.jpg

Raspberry_1325.jpg

pottert

Aug 12, 2009
Peacehaven
Feel free to correct me but as I see it we could still sign a free agent who is under 21 as the 25 man squad is only for players who are over 21.Obviously a player in that age group who is without a club would probably be without a club for a reason.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here