Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Any coeliacs on NSC?

Since1982

Sep 30, 2006
Burgess Hill
Ask and Cote seem to know their stuff in my experience when eating out. It can be confusing eg a fun size chocolate bar might not be ok but the full size one is. You may be able to get GF flour on prescription and make your own bread and cakes. Watch gravy and sauces, often thickened with flour but cornflour a safe alternative.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
My 7 year old daughter had a positive test result for coeliac disease this week. Anyone have any tips/good sources of help and advice that they can share? My wife is away this weekend and this is making looking after my 3 littl'uns a lot trickier. I haven't really got a clue but I'm struggling through. GF sausages and homemade chips for tea. Is heinz ketchup ok?

All advice/sources of info will be much appreciated and very useful in the long term.

Thanks.

This lady, Dian Shepperson Mills, helped my wife out in a big way.
She is knowledgeable in all things gluten and coeliac.
Also lives in Hailsham.
Read the pdf document, first line, as per link below.
http://www.google.co.uk/search?scli...0i22i10i30j0i13j0i13i30j0i8i13i30.oNXJkofMHzo
Lots of info :)

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
I hate this kind of reply.

Sometimes people ain't just looking for straight answers.
NSC has proved itself in the past to be a mine of information on many things other than The Albion and the support that people have shown strangers on here has been brilliant .

So take your 'google' comment and, well, google it.

I agree. The only really annoying request is directions to places. 'Google maps' is a fitting response.

Oh, and what's the score in this and that ? Surely folk know how to look up BBC Sport !

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Thanks all. Appreciate all the helpful advice. Or at least I will when sober ( been a long day). Love NSC. Glad I googled it all those years ago...

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Preventing Cross-Contamination at home is a pain having your own toaster and fryer ,Having your own butter , I would ask your GP for a Dextor scan refs thinning of the bones, As I take iron tables and calcium tablets also, Get my Gluten/wheat free foods though Tesco online and get it delivered as it such a pain searching the stores for gluten free foods as they are not always in one place, The food on the whole taste are very good but the bread is sht.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath

Do that all the time and we might as well close this site down. Normal Rob is asking for fellow members of this site if they have have any advice.

Rob, hope your daughter doesn't suffer too much mate.

Ryde

Sep 22, 2005
Carisbrooke
I hate this kind of reply.

Sometimes people ain't just looking for straight answers.
NSC has proved itself in the past to be a mine of information on many things other than The Albion and the support that people have shown strangers on here has been brilliant .

So take your 'google' comment and, well, google it.

Sorry if you did not like my reply but there is no need to be rude.
I know a lot about food allergies and intolerances and my reply was intended to be helpful - like the post before mine. I have found that both the Coeliac Society and Google are by far the best resources for information about gluten intolerance.

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry if you did not like my reply but there is no need to be rude.
I know a lot about food allergies and intolerances and my reply was intended to be helpful - like the post before mine. I have found that both the Coeliac Society and Google are by far the best resources for information about gluten intolerance.

Fair enough. Please ignore my comment above yours.

Bodian

May 3, 2012
Cumbria
Your basic meat and two veg meals are fine. The main trouble comes with bread, cereals and the sauces in meals. Gluten is in the most surprising of things, such as some stock cubes, some soups, but not others - and so on. (It's in Rice Krispies, which amazed me, I thought they were just rice!, but they contain barley). You basically have to check every box and packet to make sure - but labelling has improved hugely, it's mainly in bold.

Avoid most processed food, because you really don't know what's in them. Fish Fingers are definitely out unless you can find some 'free from' ones. And if you have soups and so on, you end up making them for yourself rather than buying tins. Avoid Indian and Chinese restaurants. And chippies often do one 'gluten-free' night - usually when they've just changed the oil so it hasn't had any batter in it.

As others have said, the foodbill will soar if you want to buy gluten free breads, cereals and biscuits. Having said that, they have improved tremendously in quality over the last few years. My wife's been a coeliac for many years, and even I can eat her bread rolls now (Sainsbury's are amongst the best).

Chat to the doctor - coeliacs are allowed a certain amount of some stuff on prescription. It's something like a set number of units a month. With units being different for different things. The quality is variable - but the bread mixes are good if you have a breadmaker. And as others have mentioned - you need separate toasters, chopping boards, and so on.

At 7 I presume she's not on the pop yet - but beer is bad. You'll have to start her on ciders and wine!

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Agree with most of the above apart from avoid Indian restaurants I personally never had a problem with Indian curries but always double check the ingredients ,Yes avoid Chinese as they use flour to thicken the sauces.

Poppadoms are usually made with rice and lentil flour. Make sure these are cooked in oil that has not been used to cook gluten-containing foods.
Lentils constitute a key part of vegetarian dishes and are good gluten-free options.
Sauces are mostly thickened with chickpea flour or yoghurt rather than a wheat-based starch, so are safe for people with coeliac disease, but do check.

https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/eating-out/takeaways/

c0lz

North East Stand.
Jan 26, 2010
Patcham/Brighton
Yes. Unfortunately it's no laughing matter. There are many worse things clearly, but it doesn't make things easy. Especially as money is already tight.

Also as mentioned your daughter is entitled to free prescriptions so would ask your GP about this you might get a prescription there and then from your GP but the choice is very little, So I would recommend one like below as pictured,

If you are diagnosed with coeliac disease by a doctor, you can receive gluten-free staple foods via prescription from your GP
The National Prescribing Guidelines make recommendations on the amounts of gluten-free staple foods you can expect to receive on prescription each month
With NHS budget cuts we are seeing some areas restricting or cutting gluten-free prescribing but around 70% of CCGs are following National Prescribing Guidelines
We are campaigning for gluten-free prescribing to remain an NHS support for people diagnosed with coeliac disease
https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/prescriptions/

Gluten free food on prescription is measured in units. Now that you’ve been diagnosed, you have a certain number of units for your monthly allowance. You can mix and match the foods you enjoy, up to the total amount of units in your allowance. Most people choose a variety of items including pastas, breads and rolls, cereals, and flour mixes.

Coeliac UK guidelines suggest the approximate amount of gluten free food (classified in units) needed for a person with coeliac disease to maintain a balanced diet for one month. This is based on advice from healthcare professionals as well as input from patient organisations and patients themselves. You should discuss the amount you are allowed with a qualified healthcare professional. Amounts vary by local area.

GETTING STARTED
WITH GLUTAFIN ON
PRESCRIPTION
A quick and easy guide to
help you start ordering
file:///C:/Users/c0lz/Downloads/j001259_getting_started_with_glutafin_aw_single_web.pdf

View attachment aaaa.bmp

View attachment bbbbbb.bmp

kevo

Mar 8, 2008
This is what Heinz say. I mean WTF?

According to the new legislation, a 'Gluten Free' claim will be permitted on foods that contain less than 20 mg/kg of gluten. Although we do not claim in Europe that Heinz Tomato Ketchup is 'Gluten Free' it does not contain any gluten containing ingredients.

Ridiculous

Normal Rob

Jul 8, 2003
Somerset
Also as mentioned your daughter is entitled to free prescriptions so would ask your GP about this you might get a prescription there and then from your GP but the choice is very little, So I would recommend one like below as pictured,

If you are diagnosed with coeliac disease by a doctor, you can receive gluten-free staple foods via prescription from your GP
The National Prescribing Guidelines make recommendations on the amounts of gluten-free staple foods you can expect to receive on prescription each month
With NHS budget cuts we are seeing some areas restricting or cutting gluten-free prescribing but around 70% of CCGs are following National Prescribing Guidelines
We are campaigning for gluten-free prescribing to remain an NHS support for people diagnosed with coeliac disease
https://www.coeliac.org.uk/gluten-free-diet-and-lifestyle/prescriptions/

Gluten free food on prescription is measured in units. Now that you’ve been diagnosed, you have a certain number of units for your monthly allowance. You can mix and match the foods you enjoy, up to the total amount of units in your allowance. Most people choose a variety of items including pastas, breads and rolls, cereals, and flour mixes.

Coeliac UK guidelines suggest the approximate amount of gluten free food (classified in units) needed for a person with coeliac disease to maintain a balanced diet for one month. This is based on advice from healthcare professionals as well as input from patient organisations and patients themselves. You should discuss the amount you are allowed with a qualified healthcare professional. Amounts vary by local area.

GETTING STARTED
WITH GLUTAFIN ON
PRESCRIPTION
A quick and easy guide to
help you start ordering
file:///C:/Users/c0lz/Downloads/j001259_getting_started_with_glutafin_aw_single_web.pdf

View attachment 76607

View attachment 76608

Many many thanks. I really appreciate it.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
My wife is coeliac and has been for 15 years now.
In answer to your question about Heinz ketchup, this is fine.
The reason you have to watch ingredients is mainly because of thickeners in food i.e. Heinz beans are fine as they use cornflour as a thickener, Cross & Blackwell however use wheat flour so is a no no.
My missus avoids anything that contains wheat, barley, malt and oats, she was advised by her dietician to do this and is fine.
If something just says thickeners in the ingredients avoid it, if it says cornflour it's fine, ordinary malt vinegar is a no, wine vinegar etc is fine.
The most important thing is to remember that you need to prepare coeliac food on a separate surface to regular food because of cross contamination, no frying chips for instance in the same oil as has been used for frying anything that has contained gluten.
Just take care on everything you feed them and you'll be fine, of course in depends on their level of tolerance but, if you're not sure, avoid gluten altogether.

joker

BHA Blues Away
Aug 2, 2010
Eastbourne
This! I would pay good money for Gluten free bread that tasted like proper bread.

Have you tried the Udis bloomer loaf from Tesco, my missus reckons it's probably the nearest and you don't have to heat it to soften it and all that, as it is fresh bread, but as you say, none of it is like real bread.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here