Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Six Games In, how do you feel about our season so far?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Bit bored to be honest . Spent money in the summer and aren’t using any of them.

Bissouma only getting a game cause Gross is out and Montoya is in cause Bruno is close to drawing his pension .

I could understand Hewoughton cautious tactics in our first season but we’ve spent £100 million since promotion and are still mainly playing the championship line up. Either the manager hates change or the recruitment hasn’t been as good as we all thought . Who knows .

Probably the most boring team in the league to watch this season , which is a shame .

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Napier's Knee

Mar 23, 2014
West Sussex
Before the season began Hughton - and I think Stephens - gave interviews in which they warned against complacency. When Balogun stepped in for Dunk it was hard to spot the difference (if anything Balogun was actually better), but as soon as Dunk approaches fitness again he is straight back in the team. This must create complacency amongst some players - they know they will be picked. This is what has disappointed me most - we've got some World Cup players in the squad and they are not yet trusted over players who are either falling short of last year's standards or will never ever get anywhere close to an international squad. I know they have to be integrated in to the squad, but a number of other teams seem to have done that well enough with bigger player turnover than us. The club is beginnign to outstrip the team, and that is a bit worrying

essbee1

Jun 25, 2014
I'm more worried about this season than was last. I hoped I wouldn't be because of our new players - but the performances
so far and injuries suggest I need to be.

BN41Albion

Oct 1, 2017
Bit meh really. It's all been a bit chaotic, Watford and the previous four games especially. Seems as if we don't quite know the style we want to play this season. I was buzzing after the United and Liverpool games as it seemed that that high pressing style was going to be our style, but since then we've played nothing like that really. Strange. I do realise a high pressing game wouldn't wouldnt work in every game, but in the subsequent games we've almost played the opposite - first half at least.

I'm a bit worried at how often we've looked like a team that has never played together before, and disappointed at Hughton's stubbornness at sticking with the old guard. Dunk coming straight back in says it all really.

I'm still hopeful for the season ahead, and I'm sure slowly but surely the new boys will get more opportunities, but if we see the same line up bar stephens again next Saturday I'll be pretty deflated.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
On the number of points we expected at this point, and scoring more goals than last season. Two stirring comebacks from 2 down to gain a points (and almost a third on Saturday), a brilliant win against a top six team already (took us until March last season ?) and all this without out new star striker and last season's most potent winger who will both be fully on it soon, and Ali J now getting very close to what must be a start. Add to that Hudds and Cardiff looking pretty desperate.

It could be worse.

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Well I am biased but I look at every game barring the Watford one and think

Last year when we went behind I was never confident of coming back in matches - This year so far we look capable of getting back into any match if we step up our game.

And if we go ahead I feel confident of holding the lead - That was never the case last year

However its only 6 games and a lot of them have been against teams in the top half of the league and we still have some top players still to work their way into the side. Ask me again in December when we have played more of the teams where we have more realistic chances of being around same positions in the league and get a good run of games against.

father_and_son

Jan 23, 2012
Under the Police Box
13th. 1 win clear of the drop. An impossible distance from the top spots. A 50-50 record on Lose/Not Lose.

I think we are pretty much where I expected to be. If we finish the season in 13th without ever looking like being a Championship team next season, then I'll think we had a good season.

I'm not sure what some fans were expecting from the PL, but I had it down as a temporary holiday. Stay a year or two, drop and consolidate in the Championship with the parachutes, before having a run at long term survival... but survival would be the operative world, not success.

RandyWanger

Je suis rôti de boeuf
Mar 14, 2013
Done a Frexit, now in London
6 games in and sitting 13 isn't a bad start. But probably too early to be looking at the table considering how close it is down there but at the same time it's hard not to feel disappointed with how we've started.
Set up negatively, play negatively, takes us a good 50 minutes to get into games. Luckily we've not been punished too servery, but we can't keep going on like this.

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
Pretty happy - except with the Fulham game.

West Ham seems a game now which will either throw us into a relegation battle or help us ease away from that.

The 2nd half of the season seems easier than the fixtures in the 1st half, so 18 points by halfway would be immense.

Stat Brother

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
After the Utd game I was amazed at the progress the team had made.

Sadly that didn't last long.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
The new players like AJ, Andone, Bernardo and the injured Izquirdo will probably make a big difference going forward. Bissouma I think will get better with the more games he plays.

Is 10th -16th more exciting than the race for promotion in the championship ? Not sure we could hope for much more while we are in this league.

Yes that is true, but that is to say that these players will come into the team rather than be given 15 minutes to save the game!

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Probably the most boring team in the league to watch this season , which is a shame .

We've beaten Man Utd and played them off the park, we nearly snatched an exciting point or more away to Liverpool, we've had 2 games where we've equalised with a penalty with a few minutes to go, and another where we could have grabbed a point with the last kick of the game. Our games have seen 19 goals.
Watford was awful, that first half against Southampton was awful and we can disagree about Hughton's tactics that meant we've been shipping goals ...but boring is a strange shout.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
We've beaten Man Utd and played them off the park, we nearly snatched an exciting point or more away to Liverpool, we've had 2 games where we've equalised with a penalty with a few minutes to go, and another where we could have grabbed a point with the last kick of the game. Our games have seen 19 goals.
Watford was awful, that first half against Southampton was awful and we can disagree about Hughton's tactics that meant we've been shipping goals ...but boring is a strange shout.

Agree - neutrals (or non-Brighton) watching the Man U, Liverpool and Southampton games never mentioned the word boring when discussing them (quite the opposite), and Fulham wasn't either.

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour

No not really, the football is on the whole boring, dull call it what you like. I've watched pretty much all the other teams in the division this season and even though some are not very good they're not sending me to sleep like Brighton are. Only Newcastle at home to Chelsea was worse.

Lets not kid ourselves, Liverpool with better finishing could have thrashed us 4-0 at least, I think we managed to send their line up to sleep too, which I suppose is a bonus.

Apart from Man U at home its mainly been dross, but we managed to dodge a bullet against Fulham and Southampton thanks to the opposition handing us soft pens.

Lets be honest though, we could be getting spanked 5-0 every week and you"d still put a positive spin on it.

Blues Rock DJ

Apr 18, 2011
Dorset
Pretty happy - except with the Fulham game.

West Ham seems a game now which will either throw us into a relegation battle or help us ease away from that.

The 2nd half of the season seems easier than the fixtures in the 1st half, so 18 points by halfway would be immense.

have I missed something, or are we not playing the same teams in the 2nd half of the season ?

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Not enough "going for it" for me, not by a long shot.

Agreed, but there seems to be a consensus on here that if we actually show some attacking intent in this division we'll lose 10-0

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Think we will be far better in the attack when our Colombian flyer returns to the wing, pace and the odd goal to look forward to

Blue Valkyrie

Not seen such Bravery!
Sep 1, 2012
Valhalla
have I missed something, or are we not playing the same teams in the 2nd half of the season ?
The home and away fixture balance suggests the 2nd half of our season is 'easier'.

Home 'must wins' v Huddersfield, Cardiff, Southampton and Newcastle are all after the halfway point.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here