Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] Jack's

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
All completely true but the levels of wastage will be far higher than the sanitised pre bagged/boxed versions.

As for Jack’s - conceptually they’re so far behind the other low cost retailers and actually won’t do what they do - I.e buy local excellent fresh produce and mix it in with cheaper continental alternatives on other groceries - that it’s almost pointless competing.

The big four are forgetting that their answer to this previously were the simple/basics/value brand solutions which is effectively taking an inferior product with no flavour and selling it cheaper and that didn’t exactly punch the lights out.

Personally I think it’s an ill conceived idea with little to know long term viability. If you have to disguise the fact it’s a Tesco by not using that name/brand then you’re admitting your brand has no chance against the likes of Lidl/Aldi. Consumers aren’t as ignorant as the past and will know the link and probably vote with their feet accordingly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The name Jack's is a nod to Jack Cohen, the founder of Tesco. His philosophy was 'Pile it high and sell it cheap'.

Barham's tash

Jun 8, 2013
Rayners Lane
The name Jack's is a nod to Jack Cohen, the founder of Tesco. His philosophy was 'Pile it high and sell it cheap'.

Always good to be educated but think the point about consumers being more savvy is still relevant.

Wonder what Jack would think of the Supermarket erm market these days?

Personally I have no loyalty per se and go where has the best produce. For a while now that’s been Morrison’s but they’ll probably stop getting it right soon and I’ll have to innovate.

Have just moved out of a town centre to a more residential area so the choice has diminished a lot which is a shame.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
Gary Baldy

snn3021glit-620g_1663687a.jpg
Nice one... Beat me to it

Sent from my MI 6 using Tapatalk

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003

i think its been overlooked this is really a return to the origins of Tesco. people like to celebrate Aldi/Lidl as innovators, its really just the old supermarket format, and UK supermarkets became more sophisticated.

Cian

Jul 16, 2003
Dublin, Ireland
Waiting for them to try open one in Dublin with that name

The mangling of the fairly obscure English slang term "jakes" for a toilet to the extremely common "jacks" means that nobody is going to be willing to admit where they bought their bargain. Telling someone you found it in Jack's just won't work!

They actually bought out a chain here that was like this, with the weird addition of an in-store DJ on weeknights (it was the early 90s, people actually thought it was a good idea) called Crazy Prices and quickly converted them to normal Tesco stores.

dejavuatbtn

Aug 4, 2010
Henfield
If Tesco can compete with Aldi and Lidl then it’s got to be good for all those on low incomes whose priority is price. I hope thye are successful.

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est en Valenciennes..
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think Tesco have been painted into a corner, so they've done what was necessary. The 'discount' format will be here to stay. The consumer mindset has changed thanks to the 'race to the bottom' pricing Amazon, eBay et al have ingrained in the mindset of the buyer. All you need to do these days to sell something by the shit load is price it lower than everyone else and ask zero questions if someone wants to return it.

A couple of bright sparks said on a radio debate the other day "aaaah.... but people will stop shopping at Tesco then, and go to Jack's - and then the Tesco stores will be..." ohhhhh, shut up. They'll just shut the bloody Tesco and create a super-sized 'Mega Jack's'. It's not rocket science.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I asked a young girl in Morrisons if they stocked ‘dead fly bisciuts’ the other day. She looked at me like I was mad. I mean what do they call them nowadays then ?

You've got your Garibaldi, of course, you've got your Bourbons, then of course you've got your Peek Freans Trotsky Assortment.

Mr deez

Masterchef
Jan 13, 2005
Dragging us back to the low quality cheap crap us brits love given the country will be skint for a while.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here