Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Mat Ryan Jose Izquierdo international friendly at Fulham

Hamilton

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Brighton
How did José do?

We saw him for 2 minutes.

Basically, on the strength of last night, I doubt whether these two teams will make it through the group stages.

First half was pretty poor, and Jose was on the bench.

The second half was better, but we'd already decided to risk the wrath of the Colombian NSC police and leave early to avoid the carnage at Putney Bridge tube. As the football wasn't that good, we'd said we'd leave on 75 minutes.

The 75th minute approaches, and on comes Jose. Bollocks! So we stayed for a couple of minutes. He looked fine - he basically did what he does for us - charges down the left and then cuts in on his right. Pretty much all we saw.

Based on results, he's looking good for a WC place. He came on in the second half against France when they came back to win. He came on last night, and towards the end won a penalty and should have won.

However, the Colombian team - and Aussies - looked like a bunch of strangers. No decent team play at all.

The Colombian crowd were good fun. They made some noise. But, it was like there was some mass family food event, in the middle of which a football match had broken out. It's just a different attitude to football carnival.

No sign of the Aussies tampering with the ball - that I could see.

Johnnyboy

Sep 25, 2010
North Hampshire
How did José do?

He did ok. tracked back well. They played him on the left just inside their no 26 (no idea of name). Had one shot on target but was blocked by the massed Aussie defence. Columbian fans were awesome, created a great atmosphere and hugely outnumbered the Aussies.

jasetheace

Apr 13, 2011
He did ok. tracked back well. They played him on the left just inside their no 26 (no idea of name). Had one shot on target but was blocked by the massed Aussie defence. Columbian fans were awesome, created a great atmosphere and hugely outnumbered the Aussies.

Disappointing given that London has an Australian population similar to many towns with teams playing at decent levels

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Disappointing given that London has an Australian population similar to many towns with teams playing at decent levels

I think most Aussies are keeping their cheating heads down at the moment.

tigerbeesteve

tigerbeesteve
Jan 18, 2010
Bristol
My wife (Colombian) and I went, shame the above poster left on 75 mins as the last 15 mins were lively and a wave of Colombian attacks.

Colombia hit the post twice, missed at least two clear chances, a bicycle kick went just over the bar, and numerous other attacks were halted, plus they had a penalty saved. The Australians seemed more focused on kicking the opponents balls. One Colombian was stretchered off, Australia was so disappointing but Colombia were good value in the second half (the first half was forgettable).

We were, naturally, delighted to see Izquierdo get on and we thought he did well - he was playing more central up front and not going back so much, and his pass completion rate was 100%, did some good attacking runs and a superb one-two in the box that he threaded across the goal that an Aussie put out for a corner.

I think he'll be on the plane, he looked like he fit in the team and could be an option if there are injuries etc. A bit more clinical up front and Colombia should get through their group - they were missing a key playmaker, Cuadrado, as with him they can be more lethal.

There was a fun ending to the night as loads of young Colombian fans, most of them young women, ran onto the pitch to try to hug their heroes and were dodging all the beefy security guards, who were slipping up all over the pitch.

I've lived in Colombia and the matches are a different cultural event to anything we have here and that was reflected last night; I think it's awesome.

I swear three people left 10 mins before half time. Some drunken lads turned up and sat next to us after half time and were lighting up a fag at the end; they were English but nobody took much notice of them. 95% stayed until the final whistle.

All over a fantastic evening at one of the best stadiums in the country.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
My wife (Colombian) and I went, shame the above poster left on 75 mins as the last 15 mins were lively and a wave of Colombian attacks.

Colombia hit the post twice, missed at least two clear chances, a bicycle kick went just over the bar, and numerous other attacks were halted, plus they had a penalty saved. The Australians seemed more focused on kicking the opponents balls. One Colombian was stretchered off, Australia was so disappointing but Colombia were good value in the second half (the first half was forgettable).

We were, naturally, delighted to see Izquierdo get on and we thought he did well - he was playing more central up front and not going back so much, and his pass completion rate was 100%, did some good attacking runs and a superb one-two in the box that he threaded across the goal that an Aussie put out for a corner.

I think he'll be on the plane, he looked like he fit in the team and could be an option if there are injuries etc. A bit more clinical up front and Colombia should get through their group - they were missing a key playmaker, Cuadrado, as with him they can be more lethal.

There was a fun ending to the night as loads of young Colombian fans, most of them young women, ran onto the pitch to try to hug their heroes and were dodging all the beefy security guards, who were slipping up all over the pitch.

I've lived in Colombia and the matches are a different cultural event to anything we have here and that was reflected last night; I think it's awesome.

I swear three people left 10 mins before half time. Some drunken lads turned up and sat next to us after half time and were lighting up a fag at the end; they were English but nobody took much notice of them. 95% stayed until the final whistle.

Did Ryan save the penalty?

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Thanks for this, and I'm with you about CC.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here