Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Lance Armstrong ends fight against doping charges part deux

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
With one exception, the bit I find most surprising is that only "Ten medals at London 2012 were won by athletes who have dubious test results."
The exception being that the IAAF are doing nothing about it. It beggars belief.

Did I hear it sounds like Lance and the UCI in that its the powers at the top covering it up, and it takes leaks like these for people to see whats going on.
Quite.

Pantani

Il Pirata
Dec 3, 2008
Newcastle
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33784236

Interesting if a little familiar rebuttal by Coe and IAAF. What I do not get is why the IAAF do not just point at football, tennis, rugby, cricket, golf, boxing etc etc. Yes, doping is almost certainly rife in athletics, but they do have a fairly robust testing program, none of these other sports even come close. Imagine there even being a document anywhere that told us what the blood values were for footballers in World Cups going back to 2000. ???

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33784236

Interesting if a little familiar rebuttal by Coe and IAAF. What I do not get is why the IAAF do not just point at football, tennis, rugby, cricket, golf, boxing etc etc. Yes, doping is almost certainly rife in athletics, but they do have a fairly robust testing program, none of these other sports even come close. Imagine there even being a document anywhere that told us what the blood values were for footballers in World Cups going back to 2000. ???

I was actually amazed to hear that in athletics, a athlete could miss two out of competition tests without any punishment, even 'Mo' didn't hear the bell ring on his tests and so missed two important tests. As for Coe, clearly trying to make friends and influence people as he goes after a top job. How many cyclists found in operacion peurto, we all know, but how many athletes, tennis players, boxers, footballers etc etc....

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I was actually amazed to hear that in athletics, a athlete could miss two out of competition tests without any punishment, even 'Mo' didn't hear the bell ring on his tests and so missed two important tests. As for Coe, clearly trying to make friends and influence people as he goes after a top job. How many cyclists found in operacion peurto, we all know, but how many athletes, tennis players, boxers, footballers etc etc....
The way Peurto pulled the rug out from under Spanish cycling and used it to shield Spanish football is one of the main reasons people should be so suspicious of football.

I still find it hard to believe plane loads of wannabe investigative journalists didn't descend on Madrid.
The story of their lifetime was right there, ready to be written, and nobody did.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
[Imagine there even being a document anywhere that told us what the blood values were for footballers in World Cups going back to 2000. ???

If we're talking about the England squad, about 4 times over the drink drive limit I should imagine.

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
The way Peurto pulled the rug out from under Spanish cycling and used it to shield Spanish football is one of the main reasons people should be so suspicious of football.

I still find it hard to believe plane loads of wannabe investigative journalists didn't descend on Madrid.
The story of their lifetime was right there, ready to be written, and nobody did.
This sums it up quite nicely -

http://tenpercentorless.blogspot.co.uk/2013/01/can-spain-afford-to-reveal-doping-in.html?m=1

People have seen evidence of a doping programme in top level football. They threw cycling under the bus.

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Even just banning those using coke would decimate a lot of sports at a lot of levels. Cycling seems to be one of the only sports that penalises recreational drugs with the same penalties as PEDs.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Week 2 of The Sunday Times expose has a couple of interesting snippets.
It's a little ambiguous (or I'm just dim) re Farah:-

A total of 20 of Farah's blood test results, held on the IAAF database; where he is the ninth most tested athlete, are within the normal range. That covers seven years from June 2005 to May 2012.

So Mo only had 20 blood tests in 7 years.

The Sunday Times then goes on at great length about Russian marathon runner Liliya Shoukhova one in a million then billion chance of her blood values being 'normal':-

The IAAF says it would have targeted any athlete with such suspicious blood scores for futher testing, but the data only records one further blood test on Liliya Shoukhova in the two years and four months after Munich (2007)

It then goes on to say just how pointless urine tests are.

Once again 'if you don't test you don't find anything wrong'.

Horton's halftime iceberg

Blooming Marvellous
Jan 9, 2005
Brighton
The Times reckons the following about the big city marathons including London

The winners of 34 major city marathons - one in four - "should have faced censure or at least been investigated over evidence of potential blood doping within their test results."

Athletes whose results were considered suspicious by the Sunday Times's experts collected more than £4m in prize money from those marathons.

In London, seven wins, six second places and seven third places were secured by "athletes whose blood tests were deemed suspicious by the experts".

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
Three-Monkeys400x194.jpg

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
IAAF suspends 28 athletes after 'adverse findings' in doping retests

Twenty-eight athletes who competed at the 2005 and 2007 World Championships have returned "adverse findings" from retested samples, the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) has said.
According to the world governing body, a large majority of the athletes are retired with "very few" still active.
"The IAAF is provisionally suspending them," it said in a statement.
There are no British athletes among those with adverse doping samples.
The IAAF, which has been criticised after leaked blood test data was obtained by the Sunday Times and German broadcaster ARD/WDR, added that none of the athletes concerned would be competing at the 2015 World Championships in Beijing, which get under way on 22 August.
None of the 28 can be named yet "due to the legal process".
The 2005 World Championships took place in Helsinki, Finland, with Japanese city Osaka hosting the event two years later. If violations are confirmed the IAAF will correct the record books and re-allocate medals as necessary.
Earlier this month, The Sunday Times said the results of 12,000 blood tests from 5,000 athletes between 2001 and 2012 showed an "extraordinary extent of cheating" by athletes at the world's biggest events.
However, the IAAF responded by describing allegations of widespread doping in athletics as "sensationalist and confusing".
The World Anti-Doping Agency's independent commission is investigating the claims.

Last week, Russian Liliya Shobukhova, who won the London Marathon in 2010 and was runner-up in 2011, had her results since 2009 annulled for doping, following the conclusion of a long-running legal case.
The Sunday Times then made further allegations that the London Marathon was won seven times in 12 years by athletes who have recorded suspicious blood scores.
London Marathon chief executive Nick Bitel subsequently criticised the IAAF, blaming it for a "failure to take effective action".
How does retesting work?

Samples taken at the 2005 Helsinki World Championships have been stored at a Swiss laboratory for the past 10 years. In 2012, the IAAF conducted its first round of re-analysis of urine samples. To date, nine athletes have been sanctioned following retests from various world championships.
Advances in technology and the new 10-year World Anti-Doping Code provision meant that, from April this year, they could be re-examined for a second time.
The IAAF said this process was already underway before the Sunday Times allegations.
UK Anti-Doping is 'best in world'

Sports Minister Tracey Crouch told BBC Sport that she is confident the British athletics scene is "clean".
Speaking to Test Match Special during the Women's Ashes Test between England and Australia, Crouch said: "I'm confident that British athletes undergo such rigorous testing that hopefully, despite some of the allegations, none of our athletes will be caught up in it.
"The UK anti-doping agency is one of the best, if not the best, in the world."
Crouch added that current sanctions were tough enough for Britain not to have to criminalise doping, as other countries such as Australia.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/athletics/33867962

Last edited:

Woodchip

It's all about the bikes
Aug 28, 2004
Shaky Town, NZ
So 8 to 10 years after the horse has bolted the IAAF make it to the stable to look at the open door.

Looks like lip service to me. When will they suspend those with suspected blood samples from 2014? Long after the medals are won and dubious monies want I suspect.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Uefa denies drug taking in football at "significant level"

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34307216

Uefa has denied claims that drug taking among top players is at a "significant level" and said results from a study it carried out needed clarification.
The Sunday Times reported that the study showed high testosterone levels were found in urine samples of 7.7% of 879 players who were tested.
The paper said this "indicated" a possible use of anabolic steroids.
"This study doesn't present evidence of potential doping," said European football's governing body.
Uefa said "the lack of standardisation" in the testing procedures and the "inability" to carry out testing on a B sample, as required by World Anti-Doping Agency's code, meant no "scientific evidence" could be produced.
It added that the introduction of a biological passport in football would be beneficial by offering further analysis in the case of atypical test results.
The samples came from players who played in the Champions League and Europa League and were tested between 2008 and 2013 by scientists from 12 anti-doping laboratories.
None of the 68 players who allegedly had "atypical" drug test results face sanctions as the samples were provided anonymously.
The Sunday Times reported that they and German broadcaster ARD/WDR passed the study to professor Julien Baker, who had been researching steroid use for 20 years.
Baker is quoted as saying: "If the findings are accurate then this sheds light on previously untold levels of suspected cheating in Europe's top competitions."
The Uefa statement added: "Uefa has now implemented a new steroid profiling programme which has come into operation at the start of the 2015-16 season.
"The programme will boost the already strong deterrent effect of Uefa's testing programme, as it will help better detect the effects of doping over time, thereby complementing existing direct anti-doping testing."

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Rugby World Cup 2015: Bigger, faster, stronger, dirtier?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/34314851
So many cycling parallels again - only catch small fish so you can say it's poor choices by minority

Also shades of 100m sprinters many years ago - all the benefit of the roids is for muscle building during off season. No danger of being caught in competition.

Apparently rugby's "values" will stop people doping! -

"I know your career and everything you have worked for us on the line, but best not old chap."

Brighton Mod

Its All Too Beautiful
So many cycling parallels again - only catch small fish so you can say it's poor choices by minority

Also shades of 100m sprinters many years ago - all the benefit of the roids is for muscle building during off season. No danger of being caught in competition.

Apparently rugby's "values" will stop people doping! -

"I know your career and everything you have worked for us on the line, but best not old chap."

Whilst the game has changed out of all proportion, there is no comparison between the Fran Cotton of my rugby playing days to the muscle bound, toned, honed forwards of today. Its now inconceivable that there is no sport in the world that does not have those who participate taking 'enhancements' to improve their performance.
Denials by the likes of Coe just add to my belief that its a cover by those who would benefit from athletes not being caught. Rightly or wrongly, I still belief that Armstrong carried the sins of not just cycling but the whole of sport when he admitted to doping, that he was not the only one and that many around him made a huge amount of money I am in no doubt. No sport is unaffected by this.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Rightly or wrongly, I still belief that Armstrong carried the sins of not just cycling but the whole of sport when he admitted to doping, that he was not the only one and that many around him made a huge amount of money I am in no doubt. No sport is unaffected by this.
Definitely.
Lance legitimised doping by highlighting what we all knew anyway.
His name made it easy for everyone from governing bodies to fans to say "well at least we're not cycling".

Indurain's Lungs

Legend of Garry Nelson
Jun 22, 2010
Dorset
Definitely.
Lance legitimised doping by highlighting what we all knew anyway.
His name made it easy for everyone from governing bodies to fans to say "well at least we're not cycling".

Ironically, Rugby's inclusion in the olympics could be its downfall. All of a sudden WADA will take a big interest in out of competition testing - a wave of 7s players getting busted will lead to some whistleblowing to reduce their ban.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here