Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Brighton/ Palace late 70's early 80's

Moshe Gariani

Mar 10, 2005
My point is you can't just walk from the Main stand to the Arthur, there's 4 separate stands.
Are you doubting the veracity of the account?

Presumably the bloke either walked round in front of the stands or round the back of them.

Dougie

Jan 11, 2012
Are you doubting the veracity of the account?

Presumably the bloke either walked round in front of the stands or round the back of them.

I don't think he would be allowed to walk around the pitch to burn someone's eyes out do you . I reckon he walked out walked around to the Arthur and paid again to go in :thumbsup:

highway61

Jun 30, 2009
I remember one rather funny incident of mine which would have been 70s At Haywards Heath opposite Liverpool Arms Hotel I was on the platform and Palace fans train came in just as Brighton fans were about to depart on a train and I was drunk as a rat with buottle the wine in my hand giving Palace fans the finger when I turn around the Brighton train had left and I was left on my own on the platform with a train load of baying patace fans and I shat a brick

I remember one rather funny incident of mine which would have been 70s At Haywards Heath opposite Liverpool Arms Hotel I was on the platform and Palace fans train came in just as Brighton fans were about to depart on a train and I was drunk as a rat with buottle the wine in my hand giving Palace fans the finger when I turn around the Brighton train had left and I was left on my own on the platform with a train load of baying patace fans and I shat a brick

:lolol::moo:

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
I remember this, a sickening incident no matter how stupid he was to mouth off in the North. I think it's important that things like this are remembered for what they were, cowardly thuggery. That might sound hypocritical, but that's the realisation the vast majority of people who were involved in the troubles around those times did, or should, have come to eventually. Even during the running and posturing people sometimes got badly hurt, often outnumbered and without anyone coming to their aid. I was caught out like that by a few Newcastle fans once, and I don't mind admitting it was terrifying. Luckily I managed to get away and was a fast runner.

I don't see a problem talking about those times, remembering what happened, but I think those of us who were around then have a responsibility not to glamourise them to the younger generations. It was only the real sociopaths that got off on the real violence, the rest were mostly just hormonal teenagers enjoying a buzz, and I'd tell any teenager now that there are much better ways to get a buzz that kicking someone's teeth in.

You are damned right...yes there was a buzz and an excitement about being around it but I certainly remember poor sods getting isolated and getting a terrible battering and that sure isn't anything to celebrate.

Jan 30, 2008
25 of us mainly West Street went to Selhurst for their last game of the 83-84 season against Blackburn and went in what is now the Arthur Waite stand.

Being a bit lairy we were spotted by some lads in the stand opposite and one walked all the way round came up and offered to burn my eye out with his fag to which I suggested he got on with it rather than talking shite - tbh it was so long ago I cant remember what happened but I think plod suddenly woke up to who we were and got involved before throwing us out at HT!!

Palace have NEVER done anything like that!! ��
never will :thumbsup:
regards
DR

Recall about 30 Brighton holding up several hundred palace at selhurst station,the Brighton had the top of the stairs and plenty of bricks and bottles going back and forth,The palace fans worked out that if they stopped throwing missiles the Brighton lads would have nothing to lob back,it was a long jog back to east croydon:facepalm:

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
I don't think he would be allowed to walk around the pitch to burn someone's eyes out do you . I reckon he walked out walked around to the Arthur and paid again to go in :thumbsup:

As I say - as far as I remember he walked round the perimeter of the pitch!
Or to be fair he may have hopped from the corner of the main stand into the Whitehorse, walked through there then hopped into the AW - though it was 30 years ago ffs!!

brighton bluenose

Jan 6, 2006
Nicollet & 66th
As a matter of interest 30 palace were in Benidorm recently on a 40th - all mid-30s to mid-50s - in the Ibrox Bar and a Rangers fan I know got talking to them about the usual lads stuff and about who they knew etc etc and he mentioned Brighton and they wanted to know who he knew and when my name came up they all said 'We fvckin' hate *****!!'
Even after all these years and at 54 that made my week LOL! 😊

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here