Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Bonfires

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
Anyone know of a decent bonfire night ( Shoreham/ Brighton)with an actual bonfire, sadly most events seem to be reduced to a Firework display only. There used to be loads,pubs, clubs, parks etc.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Anyone know of a decent bonfire night ( Shoreham/ Brighton)with an actual bonfire, sadly most events seem to be reduced to a Firework display only. There used to be loads,pubs, clubs, parks etc.

That's because we are killing the planet and turning ourselves in to asthmatics.

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Shoreham has a great one every year. On the beach by the Church of the Good Shepherd.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Yep. Go to the bonfire society ones in various Sussex villages: they are always good.
(you've already missed a few)
20th October 2018 Northiam Haisham Seaford Neville Juniors Ninfield
27th October 2018 Ewehurst & Staplecross
3rd November 2018 Battel Newick Edenbridge
5th November 2018 Lewes Combined
10th November 2018 Rye East Hoathley Chailey South Heighton
17th November 2018 Roberstbridge Barkham
24th November 2018 Hawkhurst

Kaiser_Soze

Who is Kaiser Soze??
Apr 14, 2008
That's because we are killing the planet and turning ourselves in to asthmatics.

Incorrect. It's due to the increase in paperwork and insurances needed to hold such events, leading to many becoming not financially viable.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Incorrect. It's due to the increase in paperwork and insurances needed to hold such events, leading to many becoming not financially viable.

More likely fundraising and volunteers is difficult. (fireworks ££ and getting people to free up time is always difficult)
Its hard but the bonfire societies in Sussex are still thriving as is Lewes.

Saltydog

Aug 29, 2011
Ocean Wave
Yep. Go to the bonfire society ones in various Sussex villages: they are always good.
(you've already missed a few)
20th October 2018 Northiam Haisham Seaford Neville Juniors Ninfield
27th October 2018 Ewehurst & Staplecross
3rd November 2018 Battel Newick Edenbridge
5th November 2018 Lewes Combined
10th November 2018 Rye East Hoathley Chailey South Heighton
17th November 2018 Roberstbridge Barkham
24th November 2018 Hawkhurst

And there was me thinking they were held on or as near to 5th Nov..... silly me

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012

Lewes always is but the societies are most Saturday nights from Sept, Oct , Nov.
One of the bonuses of living in Sussex.

If you like bonfires and fireworks and people dressing up carrying torches etc. that is.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Can I throw in a plug for Brighton Lions fireworks at the Racecourse on 4th Nov. All profits go to charity. No bonfire though.

Nostalgia

Mar 22, 2012
Exactly....where have all the bonfires gone, loads of firework displays but you can see them throughout the year!

Rock Lobster

Dec 2, 2010
Hastings

They're spread so each bonfire society can support each others events. Lewes is always on the 5th, Hastings is always the saturday closest to the anniversary of the Battle of Hastings. No doubt other societies have chosen specific dates for various reasons, carnivals etc.

Enjoyed another great Hastings bonfire night yesterday :)

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patreon
Jun 27, 2012
Exactly....where have all the bonfires gone, loads of firework displays but you can see them throughout the year!

I just listed about 20 of em in Sussex! All featuring fully burning bonfires, Burning torches and burning (in the end) effigies - and Lewes on your doorstep is the biggest set of bonfires in the entire country. (but yes. some of the council run nights are a bit more routine)

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here