Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Food] 5 guys

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
My son reached the glorious age of 5 yesterday so we took him out for a treat dinner and tried "5 guys" down the marina. We had heard various references to it in the media from Absolute DJs talking or throwaway gags on 9 out of 10 cats does countdown plus the fact they seems to be everywhere so thought we may be on to a winner.

Firstly I was in shock over the price and we nearly walked out but my son was excited so we had to stay. We ordered 2 normal and 1 small burger, medium fries, one soft drink and a bud (it was his birthday after all) this came to £32 ish which I thought was shocking. There is no table service so after a few minutes one of the guys bellowed number 13 and off I trotted to collect.

The burgers were tasty but wrapped in silver foil so were wet and greasy. the chips were in a little tin bucket - fine but too salty, the beer was out the bottle, no glass offered and of course the soft drink was unlimited but we only had the one anyway.

I thought it ranked better than a whopper or big mac but way less than anything from Uncle Sams or Grubbs or even anything knocked up in a weatherspoons, gastropub etc. but for the price I could have had substantially more elsewhere and maybe the wife could have got a wine. It left a bad taste in the mouth as I have made better at home.

So was I unlucky and should try again or are your experiences similar? My kid liked it but then he likes everything - he is 5 (I think that fact it had five in the name was the main thing)

Or am I just a tight *******? is £30+ for three burgers just the going rate these days?

To be honest it's not too bad, is it? A basic Macs would've cost around £20, so a beer and better food?

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
or the price of beer at Wembley for Spurs away last season .... jeez!

mylesfdo

Jan 25, 2015
Far better places imo for a burger at similar prices:

Burger Kult-best in Brighton imo and all burgers come with fries!
Burger Bros
Troll Burger
Smoque Burger although prices are steep!

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
In-N-Out are okay, and I'll always visit if I'm in the SW USA, but their main selling point is the freshly-cut fries. The last burger I had from them (admittedly in a touristy part of San Francisco) was pretty average.

The best value around here is Burger Off in Brunswick St West in Hove. It doesn't look much but the food is excellent - burgers cooked on a hotplate rather than a grill so that more flavour stays in. Fantastic prices if slightly eccentric opening times, but that's because it's run by the same two blokes so the quality never drops. Smoque Grill near the Pepper Pot is good too. Coggins & Co at the Dials is the best restaurant burger in my experience.

Agree - but In-N-Out wouldn't cost anything like £11/head - think it was about $7 for a meal deal a couple of months ago. We've got Smoque in Burgess Hill now, and they deliver too - best in town (not a lot of competition though)

marcos3263

Oct 29, 2009
Fishersgate and Proud
I genuinely think I have been spoilt by Weatherspoons - and maybe that's how low my life has sunk but you sit in a nice place (most of the ones we have been to are nice converted buildings) there is an extensive menu of both food and ales. They are children friendly with a good kids menu where you also get an ice cream or similar. When we go it is in the middle of the day so never have seen any trouble or issues. The places are clean and cheap with good service. It also means we can go out most weeks rather than saving up for a special dinner. Their burgers are as good and on a plate. plus they do a burger and pint for about £7-8
As TOW states a McD would have been about £20 for the same or we could have gone to Uncle Sams for £15 and then go to a nicer pub for a drink.

Justice

Dangerous Idiot
Jun 21, 2012
Born In Shoreham
Had a five guys last night I’m quite a fan to be honest. Some points you get two tasty patties in a cheeseburger that actually taste like beef and as many toppings you like, fries are gorge cooked in peanut oil and always found them generous with the portions. Paid just under a tenner way way better than macdonalds or Burger King considering the price of a whopper meal

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Hardees in the southern American states are deeeelish, the $6 burger... I'm sure our southern American board residents would agree.

Gary Leeds

May 5, 2008
Woman over the road from me has had 5 guys coming round her house every Saturday for the last few years, she must enjoy them :)

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
My son reached the glorious age of 5 yesterday so we took him out for a treat dinner and tried "5 guys" down the marina. We had heard various references to it in the media from Absolute DJs talking or throwaway gags on 9 out of 10 cats does countdown plus the fact they seems to be everywhere so thought we may be on to a winner.

Firstly I was in shock over the price and we nearly walked out but my son was excited so we had to stay. We ordered 2 normal and 1 small burger, medium fries, one soft drink and a bud (it was his birthday after all) this came to £32 ish which I thought was shocking. There is no table service so after a few minutes one of the guys bellowed number 13 and off I trotted to collect.

The burgers were tasty but wrapped in silver foil so were wet and greasy. the chips were in a little tin bucket - fine but too salty, the beer was out the bottle, no glass offered and of course the soft drink was unlimited but we only had the one anyway.

I thought it ranked better than a whopper or big mac but way less than anything from Uncle Sams or Grubbs or even anything knocked up in a weatherspoons, gastropub etc. but for the price I could have had substantially more elsewhere and maybe the wife could have got a wine. It left a bad taste in the mouth as I have made better at home.

So was I unlucky and should try again or are your experiences similar? My kid liked it but then he likes everything - he is 5 (I think that fact it had five in the name was the main thing)

Or am I just a tight *******? is £30+ for three burgers just the going rate these days?

Spooky, I was at 5 Guys yesterday at the Marina and my order number was 13 :eek:

Bladders

Twats everywhere
Jun 22, 2012
The Troubadour
Old Daves Gourmet Burger in South Street Eastbourne is very good.

Draft beers and home made slaws etc too.

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Had a five guys last night I’m quite a fan to be honest. Some points you get two tasty patties in a cheeseburger that actually taste like beef and as many toppings you like, fries are gorge cooked in peanut oil and always found them generous with the portions. Paid just under a tenner way way better than macdonalds or Burger King considering the price of a whopper meal

Cheeseburger £8 small fries £2.75

You don't need a degree in maths to know that comes to more than £10.

Can only assume your comments on the cheeseburger are to confuse people as a burger £6.75 plus small fries £2.75 is just under £10.

Personally I find them overpriced and avoid

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Great burgers and going rate for the sort of market they are going for.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Five Guys is still on my 'Hamburger Bucket List' :)

I think 7 Bone will be my next pit stop though!

Five guys is rubbish. They don't even do onion rings!
7 bone, however, is bloody marvellous. Personal tip: get the sliders. 3 of any of the burgers on the menu. Yum.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Five guys is good, their cajun fries are incredible but they can will turn your toilet into a biohazard. Have to admit when I'm fancying a burger in town few places would satisfy that urge better than grubbs. Just why anyone would bother going to McDonalds or KFC when the local businesses do them better is beyond me.

I really don't like Spoons, but that's mostly because they're not particularly good or bad, they're just a bland chain.

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
The one time I've been to Five Guys was in New York. The burger was alright, but it certainly didn't live up to the gushing enthusiasm my friend was giving it. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the equivalent of £11 but that was a few years ago and I'm sure they charge more in the UK. I've been to so many burger places which charge a similar price and give a much better burger.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here