Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Misc] Living in Newhaven or Seaford

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Hi folks. I'm after a bit of advice, my wife and I are looking at the possibility of purchasing a property in Newhaven or Seaford. Apart from going to Dieppe back in the 80's I've never stopped in Newhaven until this afternoon or even Seaford. I was very surprised at how very quiet Newhaven town centre was. On the other hand we popped over to Seaford and was pleasantly surprised by how attractive the town was compared to Newhaven. My questions are, does Newhaven have a redevelopement plan on the horizon? What are the good areas of each town and also the areas to avoid? Also, what are the pros and cons of each town. We would appreciate and feedback as we know very little about either town. Ta very much.

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
Hi folks. I'm after a bit of advice, my wife and I are looking at the possibility of purchasing a property in Newhaven or Seaford. Apart from going to Dieppe back in the 80's I've never stopped in Newhaven until this afternoon or even Seaford. I was very surprised at how very quiet Newhaven town centre was. On the other hand we popped over to Seaford and was pleasantly surprised by how attractive the town was compared to Newhaven. My questions are, does Newhaven have a redevelopement plan on the horizon? What are the good areas of each town and also the areas to avoid? Also, what are the pros and cons of each town. We would appreciate and feedback as we know very little about either town. Ta very much.

Have you watched the Deliverance!

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Newhaven is a great town

lived down Turkey Town,Gibbon Road and the Valley Estate

Seaford is great also,but you'll probably need a few more quid

The Clamp

NSC Patreon
Jan 11, 2016
West is BEST
Cannot comment on Seaford, only ever driven through. But I spent some time working in Newhaven and I found it had a very negative vibe to it. Was glad to be on my way. Newhaven town centre on a drizzly Sunday night in October. I don’t recall a more miserable night out.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Newhaven is a great town

lived down Turkey Town,Gibbon Road and the Valley Estate

Seaford is great also,but you'll probably need a few more quid

Thanks for your reply. Our modest budget allows for a 2 bed flat in either town but I was quite shocked at the difference in looks, vibe and numbers of people around in each town centre. That's kind of why I asked about redevelopment in Newhaven, at the moment if there are no plans to bring new business into Newhaven we may be better off buying in Seaford.

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now
Have you watched the Deliverance!

When visiting new towns or cities I always make a point of listening out for The Duelling Banjos theme. Didn't hear it in Newhaven but I'm sure one or two locals where doing the dance outside a town centre boozer though......:lolol:
B6RyH3.gif

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch
Thanks for your reply. Our modest budget allows for a 2 bed flat in either town but I was quite shocked at the difference in looks, vibe and numbers of people around in each town centre. That's kind of why I asked about redevelopment in Newhaven, at the moment if there are no plans to bring new business into Newhaven we may be better off buying in Seaford.

there really isn't much difference,apart from the house prices

Eastbourne & Brighton both in easy reach

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
there really isn't much difference,apart from the house prices

Eastbourne & Brighton both in easy reach

There's a very large difference between the two towns. Seaford has a 'proper' old fashioned type town centre, in a good way. There's a reason the town is more expensive than Newhaven, that is one of them. It is also more expansive and has a wider range of good quality housing.

I would move back to Seaford like a shot if I could. I lived there most of my first 26 years and then moved back to Sussex after 14 years in Liverpool. I still recall the shock of Liverpool after the sheltered life in Seaford lol. The only thing I would level against it is that a lot of people could find it boring as it's small and mostly middle-class in its outlook. There was an excellent sense of community there as well, which I imagine has continued, judging from the comments friends who still live there, have said.

Weststander

NSC Patreon
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
There's a very large difference between the two towns. Seaford has a 'proper' old fashioned type town centre, in a good way. There's a reason the town is more expensive than Newhaven, that is one of them. It is also more expansive and has a wider range of good quality housing.

I would move back to Seaford like a shot if I could. I lived there most of my first 26 years and then moved back to Sussex after 14 years in Liverpool. I still recall the shock of Liverpool after the sheltered life in Seaford lol. The only thing I would level against it is that a lot of people could find it boring as it's small and mostly middle-class in its outlook. There was an excellent sense of community there as well, which I imagine has continued, judging from the comments friends who still live there, have said.

Seaford's greatly improved on the quite rundown feel of the 1970's and 1980's (Ritz cinema and all that). It's really grown in popularity. The main drawback is it's (time) distance from Brighton and to a lesser extent Eastbourne, for teens and twenties going clubbing, shopping etc. A huge taxi fare at 3 in the morning. Plus lengthy (in terms of time) bus/car commutes to Brighton, with so much traffic on the A23 and A259, unless you're lucky enough to get a train to central Brighton to work.

Newhaven centre is a victim of monumentally brainless planning 'vision' in the 1970's, to cut off the small centre from the rest of the town by two lanes of tarmac with the ring-road. It brought the nightmare jams in Hight Street and Bridge Street to an end, but at a some price. But there are plenty of NSC'ers who live in Newhaven and are happy doing so.

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
I like where I live in Newhaven, but the town centre has been ruined. There are a couple of new shops which have opened, but there are no banks, and ESCC has sold us down the river again with another development in the port. I live in the Valley, with beautiful views over the Downs.

If you can afford it, go to Seaford.

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
deliverance_1972_002_copy.jpg

The Andy Naylor Fan Club

Aug 31, 2012
Right Here, Right Now

Seaford's greatly improved on the quite rundown feel of the 1970's and 1980's (Ritz cinema and all that). It's really grown in popularity. The main drawback is it's (time) distance from Brighton and to a lesser extent Eastbourne, for teens and twenties going clubbing, shopping etc. A huge taxi fare at 3 in the morning. Plus lengthy (in terms of time) bus/car commutes to Brighton, with so much traffic on the A23 and A259, unless you're lucky enough to get a train to central Brighton to work.

Newhaven centre is a victim of monumentally brainless planning 'vision' in the 1970's, to cut off the small centre from the rest of the town by two lanes of tarmac with the ring-road. It brought the nightmare jams in Hight Street and Bridge Street to an end, but at a some price. But there are plenty of NSC'ers who live in Newhaven and are happy doing so.

I like where I live in Newhaven, but the town centre has been ruined. There are a couple of new shops which have opened, but there are no banks, and ESCC has sold us down the river again with another development in the port. I live in the Valley, with beautiful views over the Downs.

If you can afford it, go to Seaford.

Thanks for your views. We really couldn't believe the difference in feel and looks to both town centres, that's why I asked about wether there are any pros to living in Newhaven apart from cost. If we were to go on looks and vibes then Seaford would win hands down. I was wondering if there is more appeal to Newhaven than meets the eye. As we both work in Brighton the only benefit of Newhaven that we can see is cost and nearer to Brighton for work.

Gregory2Smith1

J'les aurai!
Sep 21, 2011
Auch

sense of community???

that all came to an end when the housewifes stopped scrubing the front step :lol:

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here