Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Cricket] Alastair Cook to retire from Test cricket

larus

I’d always hoped he would last a bit longer and rediscover some of his form. But, 158 straight test matches is incredible.

As others have stated, the dearth of opening partners since Strauss will probably have impacted his game too. Feelings much relies upon you all the time is draining - having someone to share that with a feel that if you fail it’s not disasterous will help anyone.

Next few years could be a rebuilding time. What with Anderson getting close to the end, and Broad not being as effective as he has been recently too.

Yes, we’re blessed with all rounders at the moment, but lack a solid top-three now. Root needs to go to 4.

An interesting idea I read earlier was moving Bairstow to 3. I know he has the gloves too, but Stewart opened and kept too. That would open up the 5-8 positions more and allow more options on Woakes, Stokes, Butler, Ali, Curran. I can see Curran batting above Stokes soon anyway.

But thanks Alistair. Superb player and the last year is not something which I nor others will judge you on. The tours of Aus and India are arguably the pinnacle of your careeer. Enjoy your retirement.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Sad loss but the timing is right, he has gone well off the boil in the last couple of years and his average is only going in one direction now
Thanks for all the great memories and a fifty at least at The Oval would be a marvellous way to end.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
He's been going downhill for a while, and could have been dropped earlier if everyone else hadn't been crap.

Pity but time catches up with all of us eventually

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
Regular score of 10 for 3 each test over the winter.

Were loose.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Great shame and he has had a very good test match career, wonder who will take his place.....

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I’d always hoped he would last a bit longer and rediscover some of his form. But, 158 straight test matches is incredible.

As others have stated, the dearth of opening partners since Strauss will probably have impacted his game too. Feelings much relies upon you all the time is draining - having someone to share that with a feel that if you fail it’s not disasterous will help anyone.

Next few years could be a rebuilding time. What with Anderson getting close to the end, and Broad not being as effective as he has been recently too.

Yes, we’re blessed with all rounders at the moment, but lack a solid top-three now. Root needs to go to 4.

An interesting idea I read earlier was moving Bairstow to 3. I know he has the gloves too, but Stewart opened and kept too. That would open up the 5-8 positions more and allow more options on Woakes, Stokes, Butler, Ali, Curran. I can see Curran batting above Stokes soon anyway.

But thanks Alistair. Superb player and the last year is not something which I nor others will judge you on. The tours of Aus and India are arguably the pinnacle of your careeer. Enjoy your retirement.

England are fast tracking Jofra Archer, so that's 1 place sorted :)

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
I played against him at school, and he scored a double hundred against us without giving a chance away. At that stage, he looked a class above any other schoolboy cricketer I'd ever played against. Not even that usual thing where a school team has one really good player who stands out, Cook was just on another planet.

His record of 158 consecutive tests is quite outstanding, and as others have said he might well be the last great test batsman that we see.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
Gary Balance is averaging 68 with 951 runs this season... can play no 3.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I played against him at school, and he scored a double hundred against us without giving a chance away. At that stage, he looked a class above any other schoolboy cricketer I'd ever played against. Not even that usual thing where a school team has one really good player who stands out, Cook was just on another planet.

His record of 158 consecutive tests is quite outstanding, and as others have said he might well be the last great test batsman that we see.

To be fair, in this series Kohli and Pujara have both looked high quality test batsmen. Until they fell on their sandpaper swords, Smith and Warner were still top drawer in tests with the bat. Alma averages 47 in tests, AB de Villiers over 50. Bit early to be saying last of the great test batsmen.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

jakarta

May 25, 2007
Sullington
To be fair, in this series Kohli and Pujara have both looked high quality test batsmen. Until they fell on their sandpaper swords, Smith and Warner were still top drawer in tests with the bat. Alma averages 47 in tests, AB de Villiers over 50. Bit early to be saying last of the great test batsmen.

Hasn't AB also Quit Test Cricket?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here