Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Daily Mail reporting Albion have rejected £4m from Burnley for Dale Stephens

Gwylan

Jul 5, 2003
Uffern
Well, this would be a nice turn up for the books. Hurrah for Mrs Stephens :clap:

Whether it's true or not, I do wonder whether domestic considerations affect transfers. The classic one was David Unsworth's some years back when he said that his missus didn't want to move.

Yes, players can get a nice wage increase but is it worth the disruption to schooling and family life that goes with it? I doubt players will come out and say it (Unsworth was an exception) but I bet such considerations cause a few deals to fall through.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Well said. My only fear is what is all this doing to our striker acquisition budget?

Its a risk (they lose form, they get injured) but obviously if you keep players then they still retain their value especially if young players on long contracts.
If anything you are likely to either a) benefit from promotion £££ b) their value goes up given the TV fuelled hyper inflationary Prem transfer market
Knockeart is 24, Stephens is 26, Dunk is 24, March of course is still only 22.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Its a risk (they lose form, they get injured) but obviously if you keep players then they still retain their value especially if young players on long contracts.
If anything you are likely to either a) benefit from promotion £££ b) their value goes up given the TV fuelled hyper inflationary Prem transfer market
Knockeart is 24, Stephens is 26, Dunk is 24, March of course is still only 22.
Don't get me wrong. I obviously want us to retain our best players. But we also need a new striker, and that will cost lots. Plus a CB of course.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Don't get me wrong. I obviously want us to retain our best players. But we also need a new striker, and that will cost lots. Plus a CB of course.

Sent from my E2303 using Tapatalk

Agreed and you should never say anything is certain with a few weeks of the transfer window still to go but i think Bloom and Hughton have made it pretty clear in public (and from leaked transfer activity) that their ideal outcome , which presumably Bloom agreed to fund as a strategy at their board meeting the day after Sheff Weds is

- Not sell any players (bar Holla, Ince who Hughton has admitted can leave - although he's now slightly more bullish about Manu). - He's turned down bids for Dunk, Knockeart and Stephens and has managed to bat away everything so far.
- Strengthen the u23 squad to protect club in case of emergency injuries due to change in loan rules. - They've bought young experienced players from lower leagues.
- Buy several key replacements centre back and a #10 type striker (and Glenn Murray/Steve Sidwell/Norwood) - can we assume that Bloom is prepared to spend £2-3m on a CB or £5/6m (depending on player) given Pritchard / Duffy speculation - They say publicly that this is the case every few days.
- Sort out contracts. Get Stephens and Kayal to sign long new contracts. - they want this to happen and given Dunk last season are obviously prepared to spend big to achieve this.
- Strength in depth in every area of pitch. Have at least 4 first choice first team players for each key area given he likes to play 4-4-2 (Centre Backs, Midfield duo, Wingers, Forwards, Full Backs) and 3 GKs. - all this talk of not getting players to come here to sit on the bench misunderstands how a 46 Champ season works and how having a competitive squad raises the overall level of play.
Stop all those freeloaders in the 1901 - ha ! i'm joking. ie: continue to maximise non football income to fund the above.

Can Bloom afford all of the above ? Yes. I think he can.

Will all this happen ? - I don't know. Things get a bit hairy as we get closer to the window shuts. A few defeats for Newcastle and who knows how much money they might start splashing about. And i've no idea or not what Dale Stephens or his agent are prepared to accept to put pen to paper. Can Hughton keep the squad happy ? - What if we lose a couple of games ?

But for now...looking good.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I think you are missing my point. Keeping Dale, Anthony et al may impact our transfer budget substantially.
I'm sure that would impact our transfer budget, I'm simply saying that we're clearly in a position to buy another striker even without selling anyone.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Agreed and you should never say anything is certain with a few weeks of the transfer window still to go but i think Bloom and Hughton have made it pretty clear in public (and from leaked transfer activity) that their ideal outcome , which presumably Bloom agreed to fund as a strategy at their board meeting the day after Sheff Weds is

- Not sell any players (bar Holla, Ince who Hughton has admitted can leave - although he's now slightly more bullish about Manu). - He's turned down bids for Dunk, Knockeart and Stephens and has managed to bat away everything so far.
- Strengthen the u23 squad to protect club in case of emergency injuries due to change in loan rules. - They've bought young experienced players from lower leagues.
- Buy several key replacements centre back and a #10 type striker (and Glenn Murray/Steve Sidwell/Norwood) - can we assume that Bloom is prepared to spend £2-3m on a CB or £5/6m (depending on player) given Pritchard / Duffy speculation - They say publicly that this is the case every few days.
- Sort out contracts. Get Stephens and Kayal to sign long new contracts. - they want this to happen and given Dunk last season are obviously prepared to spend big to achieve this.
- Strength in depth in every area of pitch. Have at least 4 first choice first team players for each key area given he likes to play 4-4-2 (Centre Backs, Midfield duo, Wingers, Forwards, Full Backs) and 3 GKs. - all this talk of not getting players to come here to sit on the bench misunderstands how a 46 Champ season works and how having a competitive squad raises the overall level of play.
Stop all those freeloaders in the 1901 - ha ! i'm joking. ie: continue to maximise non football income to fund the above.

Can Bloom afford all of the above ? Yes. I think he can.

Will all this happen ? - I don't know. Things get a bit hairy as we get closer to the window shuts. A few defeats for Newcastle and who knows how much money they might start splashing about. And i've no idea or not what Dale Stephens or his agent are prepared to accept to put pen to paper. Can Hughton keep the squad happy ? - What if we lose a couple of games ?

But for now...looking good.

as you say, looking good but the loss of either Bruno or Dunk to injury or sending off tonight would leave us very exposed and looking a bit naive in not having covered the position in some way. Imo we are gambling with the central defence, it should not have come to this.

marshy68

Jul 10, 2011
Brighton
Whether it's true or not, I do wonder whether domestic considerations affect transfers. The classic one was David Unsworth's some years back when he said that his missus didn't want to move.

Yes, players can get a nice wage increase but is it worth the disruption to schooling and family life that goes with it? I doubt players will come out and say it (Unsworth was an exception) but I bet such considerations cause a few deals to fall through.

I think they do, apparently Murray was unhappy here when he first signed missed ooop north and then he got involved with a local brighton lass who made him happy (allegedly)

Danny-Boy

Banned
Apr 21, 2009
The Coast
I think this will end up something like when we "almost" signed Craig Bryson from Derby two seasons ago - Burnley activated a release clause and offered Bryson a deal... but after thinking about it CB decided to ignore the pull of top-flight football, went back to Derby and told them what Burnley had offered in wages, so they matched these wages but with a FIVE-YEAR deal.

Good way of getting an improved contract offer. Stephens gets a wage increase at Brighton but with a release clause which suits him (not the club).

isn't that what a Bournemouth player pulled on Brighton not so long ago... before they were promoted that is.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
as you say, looking good but the loss of either Bruno or Dunk to injury or sending off tonight would leave us very exposed and looking a bit naive in not having covered the position in some way. Imo we are gambling with the central defence, it should not have come to this.

Far more of a gamble to be forced into getting the wrong player, for the wrong price now and then be stuck with him for the rest of the season. Still 45 games to go.

perseus

Broad Blue & White stripe
Jul 5, 2003
Sūþseaxna
I think this is just a rehash of an old story....Burnley were interested in Westwood but he was not willing to take a £15k-a-week wage cut (and who can blame him?).

Burnley won't go above £30k-a-week for fear of damaging team spirit/harmony and this strict wage structure has scuppered several deals already (Westwood, DeFour, maybe Charlie Adam). God knows how we managed to persuade Barton to join last season on £30k a week or less.

This is right. If Burnley paid £25K basic with a relegation reduction of 40%, There is no incentive or him to join on a 3 year contract as after one season he could be back down to £15K a week. If he has a relegation clause departure in his contract Burnley are unlikely to bid much more than an unacceptable £4m. Most likely Dale Stephens will see his contract out at Brighton and renegotiate. With promotion bonuses he could earn perhaps £18K this season without signing a long contract.

Other clubs with more clout could be interested though? We need to get promoted this season and be in with a good chance in January.

The Rivet

Aug 9, 2011
RSC Anderlecht @rscanderlecht · 39m

The #RSCA and Burnley FC have reached an agreement on the definitive transfer [MENTION=6481]steve[/MENTION]nDefour. Good luck !

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here