Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Stockdale OFF ***to Birmingham - Official***

Stato

Dec 21, 2011
I disagree.

With the Premier League riches burning a hole in our pocket, could we get a keeper of equal or better ability? Unquestionably, yes.

Football, and more specifically, my football club is a lot more than 90 minutes of sport every now and again. David Stockdale's engagement in all aspects of the football club set him apart from the majority of players, and is the sort of person I want to be representing the club.

The Albion, or my view of it, will be a poorer place for not having David Stockdale involved.

Absolutely spot on. Having made it to the Premier League the test is now whether the club can stay there whilst still all staying at the heart of the community. Players like David Stockdale can help with the former. Men like David Stockdale are vital to the latter.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
But if he doesn't want to stay he doesn't want to stay, he has been offered a contract and for that reason it is pretty much out of the clubs hands. Losing a good keeper is a sad thing, but most of us thought the same when Kuszack (sp?) left. It is the ever evolving manner of any squad.

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
But if he doesn't want to stay he doesn't want to stay, he has been offered a contract and for that reason it is pretty much out of the clubs hands. Losing a good keeper is a sad thing, but most of us thought the same when Kuszack (sp?) left. It is the ever evolving manner of any squad.

Glenn Murray wanted to stay but the Albion's valuation of him was such that his offer was not considered good enough so he moved up the road and fired Palace into the Premier League.

It's not out of the club's hands. If the club wanted David Stockdale to stay then, within reason, they could.

Maybe Stockdale wants a long-term deal to all but see his career out here. Maybe the club only want to offer a year or two. Maybe the gap is money and not length of term. Maybe it's both.

The club have to do what they feel is right, naturally, and we wouldn't want them to pay over what they feel someone is worth. As I said above though, I consider that the Albion will be a poorer place if Stockdale is not part of the set-up.

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
The club have to do what they feel is right, naturally, and we wouldn't want them to pay over what they feel someone is worth. As I said above though, I consider that the Albion will be a poorer place if Stockdale is not part of the set-up.

Precisely this, and although we have no idea of the ins and outs of the football clubs machinery, if he is holding out for more than the club are prepared to pay then they will have to be looking at back up options, which I am sure is already very much on the managers radar. I don't disagree he will be a loss to the wider community of Brighton, as well as the squad, but business is business and if necessary, we all move on.

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut

It's not out of the club's hands though, as they could offer him a more lucrative contract.

It's not a case of whether or not he wants to stay. It's more to do with securing the future for his family. He's a good guy, I hope he chooses the Albion for that reason as much as him being a key player for us in gaining promotion.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
It's not out of the club's hands though, as they could offer him a more lucrative contract.

It's not a case of whether or not he wants to stay. It's more to do with securing the future for his family. He's a good guy, I hope he chooses the Albion for that reason as much as him being a key player for us in gaining promotion.
So many factors involved.....Maybe his demands are at odds with the rest of the squad. None of us know....

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
I disagree.

With the Premier League riches burning a hole in our pocket, could we get a keeper of equal or better ability? Unquestionably, yes.

Football, and more specifically, my football club is a lot more than 90 minutes of sport every now and again. David Stockdale's engagement in all aspects of the football club set him apart from the majority of players, and is the sort of person I want to be representing the club.

The Albion, or my view of it, will be a poorer place for not having David Stockdale involved.
Tried to message you but your inbox is full

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Contract negotiations always take time. Be madness for a player to accept the first offer the club makes. Long way to go yet.None of us know the issues, money, sometimes more than money

Stockdale is a fine keeper. Excellent at Championship level, but how good at PL level? Albion therefore have the edge on this, cos they can get an equally good keeper - either from this country or abroad. Stockdale on the other hand would find it difficult to be 1st teamer in an established PL club. If it is about ambition, then as long as we are not taking the pi$$ about money he will surely sign for us. Leaving for say Leeds might satisfy a desire to play for them, but they are a club that is going nowhere.

It may well be that Hughton isnt totally convinced about him at PL level and is considering bringing in another keeper regardless.

maglers

Apr 26, 2011
I disagree.

This always fascinates me. Yes, I agree with your sentiment, but Stockade doesn't share it. He is in football to make a living and doesn't care where that is, as long as he is getting what he thinks he deserves. If the club don't think he's worth that, then he will go.

Anyway, he can't dominate an area like some keepers, so maybe we need to look elsewhere. Great shot-stopper though.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Don't think anyone is coming out of this well

Granted Stocko is getting some stupid abuse from some stupid kids that he doesn't deserve and it's mindless. However Stockdale could rise above it and be the professional he is ! Posting mysterious tweets and retweeting facts about himself only encourage the twats and make himself look like a bit of an attention seeker.

If you don't want to stay David that's fine but negotiate in private and do what is best for you.

He posted one tweet about just arriving home from France on a fishing trip. Brighton fans heard Sky Sports report that he'd turned down a contract (source? nobody knows). It's possible that he hadn't even heard himself having just got home.

A few minutes later, he tweeted 'family first'. Which I read as 'I've had my week away, now to put the family first'. He then confirmed he is taking the family away next week (when the schools break up).

Twitteratti took this to mean he was putting his family first in contract negotiations and went on the warpath. He and his wife stuck up for themselves because of the abuse.

Timbo

Jul 5, 2003
Hassocks
I've read an awful lot of people saying we wouldn't be going up this year if it wasn't for Stockdale, I'm sure if he wasn't playing last season we would have still had someone in goal.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
I've read an awful lot of people saying we wouldn't be going up this year if it wasn't for Stockdale, I'm sure if he wasn't playing last season we would have still had someone in goal.

Try looking at his stats.
50 clean sheets in 133 apps
3 penalty saves
Picked for the Football League Team of the Year.

Yep, any old keeper would have done the same.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
You can see it though. They are on holiday . . . a few sherbets, and in a state of giddy euphoria about the fact there will be a life-changing payday ahead, and as yet unsure how it will unfold. Still, I agree absolutely that tweeting like the Donald is really not likely to go down well with anyone over the age of, well, you decide. I'm old so I'd prefer a haiku to a tweet.

Future pathway bright
Direction yet uncertain
On my holiday

In our day, we got pissed, said stupid things, threw up, had a hangover and felt a bit "oh no, what did I do last night". These days, with twitter it's there for the world to see and comment on. Quite thick really to even think about posting on twitter when pissed? Especially when you are so high profile.

Not suggesting DS posted when pissed, just a general observation about twitter.

whitelion

Dec 16, 2003
Southwick
It should be remembered that DS played behind an outstanding defence though in his own right he is a good (not great) goalkeeper.

Dorset Seagull

Once Dolphin, Now Seagull
He posted one tweet about just arriving home from France on a fishing trip. Brighton fans heard Sky Sports report that he'd turned down a contract (source? nobody knows). It's possible that he hadn't even heard himself having just got home.

A few minutes later, he tweeted 'family first'. Which I read as 'I've had my week away, now to put the family first'. He then confirmed he is taking the family away next week (when the schools break up).

Twitteratti took this to mean he was putting his family first in contract negotiations and went on the warpath. He and his wife stuck up for themselves because of the abuse.
If that's the case what was the zipped mouth emoji reference to? Probably obvious but us old uns aren't clued up on this emoji malarkey

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here