Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Anyone out there a Vegetarian or Vegan ?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
What get's on my goat though is the small minority of Vegans and Veggie's that insist on ramming it down your throat.

Excellent. We've had the bacon post, the vegans-are-hypocrites post and now the ramming-it-down-your-throat post. It took a while but I think we're done and we can all go home now.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Vegans tend to be single issue zealots in my experience Uncle. While wishing you all good things, can't help but feel that this will not end well. Nevermind, when the inevitable happens, you can always GORGE on bacon sarnies to ease the pain.
Yep, sounds about right. That's me. Single minded zealot. ???

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
I'm a metabolic freak! Just over mid 50s run 700 miles a year, walk 20 miles a week, have walking holidays, have two allotments and a garden, bit of cycling and burn lots of energy avoiding jobs around the house. I first used coconut fat 10 years ago for triathlon fuel. It stopped me needing to eat every 30 minutes. It is also meant to encourage the body yo burn bad fats but I'm not sure if that has lasted the test of time.
I'm even more impressed now. Hats off to you knocky1. Amazing. I probably walk a bit more than that but, aside from a bit of weight training at home, that's my lot.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
I'm a metabolic freak! Just over mid 50s run 700 miles a year, walk 20 miles a week, have walking holidays, have two allotments and a garden, bit of cycling and burn lots of energy avoiding jobs around the house. I first used coconut fat 10 years ago for triathlon fuel. It stopped me needing to eat every 30 minutes. It is also meant to encourage the body yo burn bad fats but I'm not sure if that has lasted the test of time.

I've never used coconut fat, must try it though .... thanks

Dick Head

⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐
Jan 3, 2010
Quaxxann
Im more than happy to think about it, but have still chosen to eat meat even after reading about it.

What i was calling nonsense is people saying that they feel ill because they have smelt some meat, surley that is a little bit of an over reaction?

That's alright. I'm the same with smoking. I know it's bad for me but I still do it. Also, I have to go into another room in the house and shut the doors and open the windows if my stepdaughter decides she's going to have a bacon sarnie. The smell makes me want to retch for the sky.

Diego Napier

Mar 27, 2010
You stated earlier:

People who are vegetarians will normally have health problems.

That's boll0cks, vegetarians in general are healthier than the fast food meat obsessed increasingly obese masses.

You also stated:

Humans are designed to eat meat, that's why we have sharp teeth, rather than just molars.

That's also boll0cks; humans have evolved to take advantage of a variety of food sources. We are omnivores not carnivores, our canines teeth are remnants of a time before our ancestors controlled fire when they ripped raw meat from bones; in the same way increasing numbers of humans never develop wisdom teeth as large powerful chewing jaws have become redundant. Humans will continue to evolve, animal protein is no longer needed.

Evolution would disagree with you. That's how we made it from being monkeys to Homo Erectus, to modern humans.

Meat was essential in that journey.

That's boll0cks, meat played a role, carbohydrates were and are essential to power our larger brains.

Uncle Spielberg

NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Vegans tend to be single issue zealots in my experience Uncle. While wishing you all good things, can't help but feel that this will not end well. Nevermind, when the inevitable happens, you can always GORGE on bacon sarnies to ease the pain.

You may be right, I hope not. Giving up meat does not bother me at all, been thinking about it for a while before I met here. Doing my first veggie meal tonight

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
What i like the most about her is her resolute belief in her feelings. She has taught me a lot. I do not agree with some things but her belief in thinking the killing and farrning of animals is wrong has opened my eyes

My daughter is similarly committed and has been since the age of 14. She has studied many scientific and medical research articles about the benefits of a vegan diet.She is even moving to India next month, partially because a vegan life is easier to follow there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
My daughter is similarly committed and has been since the age of 14. She has studied many scientific and medical research articles about the benefits of a vegan diet.She is even moving to India next month, partially because a vegan life is easier to follow there.

is she sure about that? vegetarian, absolutly, but vegan? they consume an awful lot of milk, ghee, yoguart, cheese, you'd have to know what does and doesnt contain some animal fat, just like here.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..
You stated earlier:

That's boll0cks, vegetarians in general are healthier than the fast food meat obsessed increasingly obese masses.

You also stated:

That's also boll0cks; humans have evolved to take advantage of a variety of food sources. We are omnivores not carnivores, our canines teeth are remnants of a time before our ancestors controlled fire when they ripped raw meat from bones; in the same way increasing numbers of humans never develop wisdom teeth as large powerful chewing jaws have become redundant. Humans will continue to evolve, animal protein is no longer needed.

That's boll0cks, meat played a role, carbohydrates were and are essential to power our larger brains.

You are aware that bollocks are made of meat?

Seagull58

In the Algarve
Jan 31, 2012
Vilamoura, Portugal
is she sure about that? vegetarian, absolutly, but vegan? they consume an awful lot of milk, ghee, yoguart, cheese, you'd have to know what does and doesnt contain some animal fat, just like here.

I've no idea but, yes, I'm aware they use yogurt a lot but she will be living in an ashram so I think the diet is not standard Indian veggie.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
My girlfriend is vegan and the meals she cooks are A++

I bloody love meat but really don't miss it when she's cooking.

The Frau used to be vegetarian. She cooked some excellent stuff. And vegetarian restaurants can be quite inventive. I think the key is a few different textures.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
Girlfriend is vegetarian, I'd say we're about equal in terms of cooking but some of her recipies are very good. And I did a pretty decent bowl of quorn nachos that was just as good as the real thing. The only reason I still eat meat is because I enjoy it too much.

nigeyb

Oct 14, 2005
Hove
Planet India has loads of vegan options - one in Brighton and a new one in Hove

Root Candi is 100% vegan - on Western Road nr Norfolk Sq

Both are great

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here