Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Planning to email the club (re ticket prices)

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
It says 'per paying spectator' so presumably includes STH, which for us make up a massive proportion of the total gate - and if you take into account concessionary STHs, the average price of all STHs is maybe around £15 so once you add the rest I can see where an average of £20 comes from ?

But that raises new issues. As well as the idea that to get an average of 20.68 per game you need to include tickets that aren't actually available to a full paying adult (i.e. children's season tickets), even with season tickets included (the cheapest adult season ticket works out at 20.22 per game just below the average), but you now have the idea that this is being put out there with the intimation that it's the "cost of going to football" with the average ticket price one would expect to pay per game. An adult cannot pay £20.22 for one game. The only way they can get that price is paying for all games, and suddenly a theoretical outlay of £20.22 becomes a minimum actual spend of £465. It's like those cookery shows that say you can make this meal for only £2.50 per serving, ignoring that you can't just buy half a teaspoon of paprika, a tablespoon of mayo, half an onion, etc.

I wouldn't mind them promoting that as the average, but they should also include real term costs, average match day cost for each age bracket, etc.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
But that raises new issues. As well as the idea that to get an average of 20.68 per game you need to include tickets that aren't actually available to a full paying adult (i.e. children's season tickets), even with season tickets included (the cheapest adult season ticket works out at 20.22 per game just below the average), but you now have the idea that this is being put out there with the intimation that it's the "cost of going to football" with the average ticket price one would expect to pay per game. An adult cannot pay £20.22 for one game. The only way they can get that price is paying for all games, and suddenly a theoretical outlay of £20.22 becomes a minimum actual spend of £465. It's like those cookery shows that say you can make this meal for only £2.50 per serving, ignoring that you can't just buy half a teaspoon of paprika, a tablespoon of mayo, half an onion, etc.

I wouldn't mind them promoting that as the average, but they should also include real term costs, average match day cost for each age bracket, etc.

Agree with you, but I bet that's how it's been worked out. Don't think it says anywhere that an adult can actually get a ticket for the 'average price'..........lies, damn lies and statistics and all that.........and still 22p more than so me on here are prepared to pay anyway [emoji3]

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
If that ticket is £10 lesson then a great many/all the tickets would be £10 less which is a big loss. Also then someone else would say "well I'd buy one for my dear old nan if they were £5 less"........ where would it end

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
Buy the ST for the seat next to you & take your wife, friends and relatives and give away if you can't find a taker. If we win the next 3 someone else will buy it and then what will you do? Guy in front of me fills 3 as well as his own every week
You'll have more fun, more friends and feel better for it

Hang on he wants to take his g/f first ....it could all get a bit messy if he's taking a different woman each match :moo:

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Hang on he wants to take his g/f first ....it could all get a bit messy if he's taking a different woman each match :moo:

Agree. I watched Doctor Foster.....could all end in tears.

Capture.JPG

Dec 29, 2011

Good point, well made. It's spin and Barber knows it.

nwgull

Jul 25, 2003
Manchester
The match day prices are very off-putting. I didn't go all of the previous two seasons because it was too expensive. People talk about the travel but it doesn't include everyone's travel, for various reasons.

I've been twice this season because of how well we are doing and to see Zamora in action, combined with the fact that I recently moved to Brighton. £30 for the Rotherham game (cat C) and £34 (cat B) for the Cardiff game in the WSU. I used the print-at-home feature to avoid the booking fees. The deals they do don't seem to include the WSU. I think that will be it for me until after Christmas at the very least.

Friends who don't support Brighton also mostly find the match day prices too much. So talking from personal experience, the club would get more money out of me and my friends if they made things more affordable for those without season tickets. We have lots of season ticket holders but match day sales are poor.

I also don't understand why the club don't advertise student deals for the vast number of students who live in the area, which could provide repeat custom and future revenue.

I think there is too much short-termism going on at the club (I don't know what long-term financial incentives Barber has?), and if we don't continue to do very well it could show significantly in future seasons.

As an aside, the catering is still rubbish! So slow and apparently no training on how to pour a pint (thus resulting in loads of unnecessary wastage and a slower service!).

Having Season Tickets as the best value way to watch is surely the opposite of short terminal? And you could've bought a ticket for the wings of WSU, as well as other parts of the ground, for £10 for the Cardiff match. The £100 ticket for 4 games isn't a bad deal for supporters who can't go every week either.

AZ Gull

@SeagullsAcademy Threads: @bhafcacademy
Oct 14, 2003
Chandler, AZ
They've already started...

http://www.seagulls.co.uk/news/article/football-league-reveals-average-ticket-price-2722102.aspx

For the first time, the Football League has revealed the average price paid per paying spectator at matches across its competition as £14 per spectator.

Brighton & Hove Albion's average price was calculated at £20.68 - but that figure includes the cost of matchday travel within the average ticket price.
Albion's chief executive Paul Barber said, "This is a very interesting study by the Football League, and shows that Brighton & Hove Albion, like other Football League clubs, offers live football at an affordable price, in a great environment.

"Whenever we see these surveys, it's important to take into account that our prices are always slightly skewed given the innovative travel and transport system we operate for every league match.

"Once you deduct the included cost of travel, our average ticket price is very much in line with the Championship and wider Football League average prices.​

How are they working out these average prices? Because the ticket prices for an adult for Albion home games are:

Grade A (in pounds)
32, 32, 36, 38, 42, 42

Grade B
30, 30, 34, 36, 40, 40

Grade C
25, 25, 30, 32, 35, 35

And they claim the average price at the albion is £20.68.

No full paying adult can buy a regular match day ticker for less than £25, yet the club are proudly saying an average ticket price is almost £20% less than that? The cheapest under 21/over 65 ticket is only 68p below average ticket price. A simple average of the numbers above (I think perhaps it would be fairer to proportionally average them, but I don't have the time or inclination to work it out more thoroughly) puts the average adult price at £34.11.

I get that they must have included under 10 prices, but doesn't that show how misleading this average ticket price is?

[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] - I'm very surprised at you with these two posts. You misrepresent what the report is clearly stating, demonstrate a lack of understanding of what "average" means and then demand that the report should have covered something quite different. :lol:

The report is simply calculating the (total gate revenue) / (total number of fans attending). That IS the average (or mean) price paid. And the report makes clear it doesn't include any free admissions, so there is no attempt to "massage" the figures downwards.

No-one is claiming that you can buy a "full paying" adult, one-off match-day ticket for £20.68. No-one is claiming that the average of £20.68 relates to adult attendees only. £20.68 is simply the ACTUAL mean admission price paid per person at the Albion last season (including corporate hospitality, and including the travel component).

I guess the big takeaway is the reminder, once again, of how important the season ticket pricing is and the relative value compared to matchday pricing.

Acker79

NSC Patron
Nov 15, 2008
Brighton
[MENTION=12595]Acker79[/MENTION] - I'm very surprised at you with these two posts. You misrepresent what the report is clearly stating, demonstrate a lack of understanding of what "average" means and then demand that the report should have covered something quite different. :lol:

The report is simply calculating the (total gate revenue) / (total number of fans attending). That IS the average (or mean) price paid. And the report makes clear it doesn't include any free admissions, so there is no attempt to "massage" the figures downwards.

No-one is claiming that you can buy a "full paying" adult, one-off match-day ticket for £20.68. No-one is claiming that the average of £20.68 relates to adult attendees only. £20.68 is simply the ACTUAL mean admission price paid per person at the Albion last season (including corporate hospitality, and including the travel component).

I guess the big takeaway is the reminder, once again, of how important the season ticket pricing is and the relative value compared to matchday pricing.

Your equation is simply a statistical fact and of no relevance to everyone. Your average, 'the average paid', is fine for the opening line of the article. On it's own, it's an innocent bit of data. Doesn't really tell us anything of note. But harmless on it's own. Like "The average person has less than 2 eyes".

It is put in an article that speaks to the "affordability of football" and "average prices". When you speak of "affordability" you are talking about real costs. When you speak of "prices" you're not speaking of 'average paid', but 'average charged' and when you comment about our particular average being affected by matchday travel, you are introducing the idea of match day costs. The football league's finding - harmless geeky information. The clubs article is misleading, imo.

Sulcy

Sep 23, 2015
Was planning on going with 6 friends to the Preston game. They pretty much all pulled out though when I said it was £40 a ticket.. If you're a big fan it's not to bad but it will be difficult to pull any new people in if they need to spend £40 for an hour and a half of championship football!

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Was planning on going with 6 friends to the Preston game. They pretty much all pulled out though when I said it was £40 a ticket.. If you're a big fan it's not to bad but it will be difficult to pull any new people in if they need to spend £40 for an hour and a half of championship football!

There are spaces in the north stand for £30 a ticket, so why did you tell them that it was so pricey?

ChickenBaltiPie

Jan 3, 2014
What a waste of PB's time. He probably will take the time to respond to your request for a £10 ticket in one of the more expensive areas of the ground and politely tell you why the seat isn't £10. Either shell out £40 (I'm sure the other half is worth it) or get a ticket in a less expensive part of the Amex.

Irony is wasted on you isn't it...and your literacy skils are clearly even more lacking than mine(apparantly) You have completely misunderstood pretty much everything that has been said. Every day must be quite an adventure for you! haha

Last edited:

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Friends who don't support Brighton also mostly find the match day prices too much. So talking from personal experience, the club would get more money out of me and my friends if they made things more affordable for those without season tickets. We have lots of season ticket holders but match day sales are poor.

Amen to this. All the time large numbers of seats are empty but they still charge way too much for match day tickets, it's a circular thing: presumably the club reckon that people will bite the bullet eventually and just sign up for a season ticket.

But I don't think it works that way from the customers' perspective at all: I don't want one, for example - it's far too much of a commitment at a time when I have a load of other boring crap to do on Saturdays - but I'm buggered if I'm going to spend as much as they charge individually. So the empty seats remain.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
There are spaces in the north stand for £30 a ticket, so why did you tell them that it was so pricey?

Well, the North stand "match day" experience isn't for everyone, least of all for maybe the less than fanatically devoted - many people dislike being behind a goal too.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Well, the North stand "match day" experience isn't for everyone, least of all for maybe the less than fanatically devoted - many people dislike being behind a goal too.

I understand that, but whenever these threads come up, it's always the top price that is the complaint.

Marty___Mcfly

I see your wicked plan - I’m a junglist.
Sep 14, 2011
Maybe its including travel costs in the ticket prices that's making it a bit silly. It also means everyone pays for travel whether they use it or not.

May be the club should look at seeking to remove this requirement, this might then take the ticket prices down towards the £20 figure Barber is quoting. I would imagine pricing matchday tickets around the £20 could increase sales dramatically, draw new fans to the ground, who could become regular attenders / season ticket holders in the future.

Re students I think the club should consider charging them the same price as they do children- it would draw more young people to games and that is what is needed for the future of the club.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here