Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Brighton] Street cleaners

Thunder Bolt

Ordinary Supporter
Ooh, get you sister!

But the local (Labour) controlled council gets to choose where cuts are targeted at, could be street cleaning services or LGBTABCDEFG trans gender fluidity support services ad infinitum. One choice affects all of the community and one doesn’t.

Congratulations on squeezing in your homophobia into at thread on litter.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Nice bit of sunshine today....weather looks set fair for a few more days yet

The sunnier the day the more shit on the beaches and streets to be picked up at the end of the day.. Every cloud does not have a silver lining :smile:

The amount of chewing gum spat out on the streets beggars belief and as it can’t be cleaned up it makes the pavements look like a dirty dalmatian.

I used to go to Stanmer Park at the weekend many years ago and it was a really pleasant place to be. The last time I went the litter strewn around made it look like a recently vacated gypsy encapment.

Last edited:

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls
£250 for dropping litter
£500 for failing to clean up after your dog

Those should be the penalties imposed as a minimum.

Employ jobseekers as lookouts with a 50% fine retention to the jobseeker for each fine imposed.

Will reduce the benefits bill and clean up our cities at the same time.

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
"The amount of chewing gum spat out on the streets beggars belief and as it can’t be cleaned up it makes the pavements look like a dirty dalmatian"

It can be cleaned off - Brighton Council bought a machine for doing just that but stupidly sold it a few years ago...probably cost cutting

oneillco

Feb 13, 2013
It's simple to be part of the solution: instead of walking past a plastic bottle or a can lying in the street pick it up and put it in the nearest recycling crate. I do it every day.

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Last weekend in Liverpool, I barely saw any litter on the streets (or graffiti). Ditto Newcastle.

I sometimes wonder that having so many visitors and a very transient population means that there isn't the same pride in the city or sense of ownership or feeling of belonging.

Fairly sure it's because councils in deprived areas still get high levels of central government funding. I was up in Yorkshire a couple of weeks ago and the roads are a smooth as billiard tables, not like the pot-holed mess we have to put up with down here.

Last edited:

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Speak for yourself honey, assumption makes an ass out of you and me............:p

Strictly speaking Assumption makes an Ass of U and mption.

Unless I've got that wrong...oh no, you have.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Was just about to post the same (see also the graffiti thread). Spent Friday to Monday in Liverpool, and was surprised at how clean and apparently well-kept the city was, and the contrast with Brighton. And it wasn't just the city centre - we walked the 2.5 miles from the centre to Anfield on Sunday afternoon, through several areas of council and social housing, and again although the areas were clearly quite poor, the contrast with the comparable areas of Brighton when it came to lack of litter and fly-tipping, well-maintained gardens and public areas, was marked. I have no idea whether it's something to do with the council maintaining and cleaning the areas better, or a greater sense of civic pride amongst the locals or what, but it was a bit of an eye-opener, when you've become used to run-down, scruffy, litter- and graffiti-plagued Brighton, and went against the usual stereotypes about Scousers, areas of deprivation etc etc.

Another repeat of this - we were genuinely a bit shocked (and a bit embarrassed that we had preconceptions to be honest). The City Centre was exceptionally clean. We also walked down to and around the docks, then from there to Anfield, then back to Bootle. It was the same everywhere. Stanley Park was also immaculate - virtually no litter anywhere, well maintained etc.

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Last weekend in Liverpool, I barely saw any litter on the streets (or graffiti). Ditto Newcastle.

I sometimes wonder that having so many visitors and a very transient population means that there isn't the same pride in the city or sense of ownership or feeling of belonging.

Indeed. I was there too and Liverpool is an amazing place now. In some ways this is an extension of the 'graffiti' thread of a few days ago - although surely no one is going to stick up for littering the way they did for tagging, not even Tubthumper. Like so many things it's complex, cuts have indeed played their part (although I can't believe Liverpool have been exempt from these), but also social responsibility comes into it as well. And yes pride and a sense of ownership as you say. Liverpool aren't better than us just on the football field I'm sorry to say.

EDIT: I will recant that last line slightly. We probably have more summer visitors than Liverpool, so that adds its own pressure.

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Indeed. I was there too and Liverpool is an amazing place now. In some ways this is an extension of the 'graffiti' thread of a few days ago - although surely no one is going to stick up for littering the way they did for tagging, not even Tubthumper. Like so many things it's complex, cuts have indeed played their part (although I can't believe Liverpool have been exempt from these), but also social responsibility comes into it as well. And yes pride and a sense of ownership as you say. Liverpool aren't better than us just on the football field I'm sorry to say.

EDIT: I will recant that last line slightly. We probably have more summer visitors than Liverpool, so that adds its own pressure.

Liverpool seemed to be absolutely mobbed with stag/hen party groups.......and getting a hotel a month before our game was virtually impossible so I reckon their tourist number are higher than we might imagine. Edit - found some stats..................

Brighton 2016 - 11,234,000 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/co...test-tourism-figures-show-citys-pulling-power

Liverpool 2016 - 61,490,000 https://www.liverpoollep.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Tourism-Data-Summary-July-2016.pdf

On the litter subject, away from city streets the roadsides around here are bloody awful as well. See so many people chucking stuff (mostly seems to be fast food packaging) out of vehicle windows (there's no 'class' distinction here either - just as likely to be someone driving a £50k range rover as a £50 heap). This REALLY boils my piss, along with flytipping which is another big problem in Sussex (despite the local amenity tip being clean, efficient and easily accessible).

rippleman

Oct 18, 2011
People dump normal domestic waste in Victoria Park in Worthing every weekend. By Monday morning the foxes and gully have ripped the bags to pieces and the content is scattered all over the park.

This Monday morning there were two letters showing the name and address of the scumbag who has been dumping the stuff. I asked a street cleaner I regularly speak to whether they use the "evidence" to prosecute the scumbag but was told they don't. I can only surmise that they don't have the resources.

We are due our annual gypsy invasion of the park soon. Another huge drain on limited resources clearing up their shit.

pearl

May 3, 2016
Behind My Eyes
One Sunday morning around 5am last summer I was walking along Brighton seafront by the arches, just as the street cleaners were emptying all the bins and tidying up the detritus from the previous night. The amount of shit and corruption just had to be seen to be believed. Bins overflowing, polystyrene containers strewn everywhere, bottles, cans, napkins absolutely all over the shop on the promenade, on the beach, on the arches pathways, everywhere. I honestly had no idea how horrific the litter gets over the course of a Saturday night in Brighton, it was shocking.

I came back along later that morning, and it was spotless. They'd done an INCREDIBLE job clearing all that muck up, you'd never have known what a catastrophic mess it was just a few hours earlier. It shouldn't be necessary though. People are scum.

Yeah, I've done/seen the same. I know someone who does this job and they get abuse from drunk idiots all the time and I don't mean street drinkers

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Liverpool seemed to be absolutely mobbed with stag/hen party groups.......and getting a hotel a month before our game was virtually impossible so I reckon their tourist number are higher than we might imagine. Edit - found some stats..................

Brighton 2016 - 11,234,000 https://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/co...test-tourism-figures-show-citys-pulling-power

Liverpool 2016 - 61,490,000 https://www.liverpoollep.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/07/Tourism-Data-Summary-July-2016.pdf

Wow, that's incredible, I was totally wrong, I had no idea Liverpool was so much more popular as a tourist destination. So why IS Brighton so much worse? Do we get the 'wrong sort' of visitors? Or do Scousers have more pride?

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here