Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Did a hero of yours ever fall from grace in your eyes, and why?

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
I really like Alan Partridge until we were at a restaurant for my mother's 70th birthday. We took a couple of family photos and Coogan jumped up from a balcony table and hurled abuse at us for taking photos of him. We didn't know he was there until that point. Shame he can be a dick, when he has so much talent.
A "Sorry, who are you"? would have been delicious.

:)

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
I really like Alan Partridge until we were at a restaurant for my mother's 70th birthday. We took a couple of family photos and Coogan jumped up from a balcony table and hurled abuse at us for taking photos of him. We didn't know he was there until that point. Shame he can be a dick, when he has so much talent.

giphy.gif

heathgate

NSC Patron
Apr 13, 2015
"Right, I'll tell you an anecdote. In 1974 I was catching the London train from Crewe station. It was very crowded; I found myself in a last-minute rush for the one remaining seat beside a tall, good-looking man with collar-length hair, it was the seventies; buckaroo! I looked up and saw it was none other than Peter Purves, it was the height of his Blue Peter fame. He said, 'You jammy *******'. Quick as a flash, I replied, 'Don't be blue, Peter!' Needless to say, I had the last laugh. Now **** off!"
1974?....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

ThePompousPaladin

Apr 7, 2013
Not quite a total fall from grace, because he is OK now, but when I read Eric Clapton's autobiography a couple of years ago I was immensely disappointed and found myself thinking what a totally selfish, self-obsessed nasty little toerag he was, particularly over things like the relationship with george harrison and his wife (Patti Boyd?) and accounts of going on stage almost totally incapable of playing, or certainly of not being capable of playing to his best. But it was probably due to drink and illegal substances.

Jack Bruce's autobiography, given they were both in Cream together, was a totally different kettle of fish. The drink and drugs were very much there, and probably more so, but it was mostly about the music.

Another for Clapton, his support for Enoch Powell and the NF was unforgivable.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Against_Racism

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Nibble

Jan 3, 2007
Used to be a massive fan of the low-life ramblings of Jeffrey Bernard until I met him at the premiere of Jeffrey Bernard is Unwell at the Theatre Royal. Just a snarling old shit. Never meet your heroes.

I had a brief fling with his daughter. Total head mental. Going by the father it's no surprise really.

Guy Martin can be a moody bugger, likes to blame losses on others. Spoilt is the word I would use. Very talented though and a good presenter.

Last edited:

DavidRyder

Jul 23, 2013

I stopped Steve Coogan in a London street a few years ago, asked for a pic and autograph, and he was really nice. I'd have been gutted if I'd have had the response that you got, as I think the man is a comedy genius and I'm a big fan.

bhadebenhams

Mar 14, 2009
Dick TIGHT, i know some of you LICKERERS will say he saved the club and all that but he sacked DEAN (DROOL) WILKINS, who was the betterest manager we ahve ever had and would probably be England manager now so we would have won last night in Siberia as well as the last euros.

He sacked him despite finishing 7th (SEVENTH!!!!!!!) in League 1 with some of the best football ever scene, just because Dean found out what SILENT Knight did with the 1983 cup final money and told [MENTION=1416]Ernest[/MENTION] over a full English at the Cliftonville one morning before a match.

I will NEVER forgive Knight for ruining the career of the DISHIEST manager ever, and the whole of English football to

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003

Southcoast Corsair

Sep 12, 2012
lost at sea
Morrissey. Anyone know how to separate him from his musical legacy?

The man and his mate Marr guided me through those difficult early years with wit and style. I still go misty eyed to the Smiths. Now he’s swung a little toooo far right for my comfort...

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

The man and his mate Marr guided me through those difficult early years with wit and style. I still go misty eyed to the Smiths. Now he’s swung a little toooo far right for my comfort...

Very good call.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

You’ll be disappointed with this latest musical offering then :smile:

Interesting comments from collaborators on the upcoming album too

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/01/morrissey-collaborators-respond-to-his-politics

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CirGJksfyVk

Milano

Aug 15, 2012
Sussex but not by the sea
Paul Weller. A hero of mine for 20+ years then met him at a do in Marylebone a few years ago. Rude, arrogant, dickhead, to just about everyone not just me. Of course in those few hours he could have just been having a bad day but his music has never seemed quite the same to me since, so I wish I’d never met him now.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here