Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[News] i360 wants to reduce repayments

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patreon
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Says everyone who has not been up there. Been up, plenty to look at and really enjoyed it. Am I allowed to say that or do I have to join the bandwagon along with pretending to not care about England football team?

I've been up it ( on a freebie ) and it was OK. I certainly wouldn't pay the £15 ish to go up it. Even the resident 50% ticket is pushing it a bit.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Yeah, I know - I listed them in my post :)

However it's not a patch on what can be seen from the London Eye. On that you're looking at world-famous landmarks, on the i360 you can see Brighton Marina and Shoreham power station. And most of it IS sea. And as others have pointed out because of our geography you can see almost as much from the Downs. Indeed at this time of year my wife and I like to go up to Hollingbury hill fort, sit there with a bottle of wine and some snacks and watch the sun set over the coast. Just as good a view and considerably cheaper.

To misquote Basil Fawlty, May I ask what you expect to see from a Brighton-based viewing tower, madam? Sydney Opera House, perhaps? The Hanging Gardens of Babylon? Herds of widerbeest sweeping majestically ... etc etc

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Says everyone who has not been up there. Been up, plenty to look at and really enjoyed it. Am I allowed to say that or do I have to join the bandwagon along with pretending to not care about England football team?

Well I've been on it, am I allowed an opinion? :)

And yes, we had a good time and I'm glad we did it. However I won't go again, and I wouldn't put it on a 'must do' list for any new visitor to Brighton. And the view really isn't anything special, it's just Brighton. And before you go all Basil Fawlty and asking me what I expected to see from a Brighton tourist attraction, no I wasn't expecting the hanging gardens of Babylon, but our beloved home town really isn't that exciting when viewed from above (see my earlier post about the London Eye).

I'm also slightly jaundiced as the i360 people made them remove the Brighton Wheel. Now that was good. I went on that four times and took visitors on it.

EDIT: Ha! Not Andy Naylor HAS gone all Basil Fawlty on me!

Last edited:

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Well I've been on it, am I allowed an opinion? :)

And yes, we had a good time and I'm glad we did it. However I won't go again, and I wouldn't put it on a 'must do' list for any new visitor to Brighton. And the view really isn't anything special, it's just Brighton. And before you go all Basil Fawlty and asking me what I expected to see from a Brighton tourist attraction, no I wasn't expecting the hanging gardens of Babylon, but our beloved home town really isn't that exciting when viewed from above (see my earlier post about the London Eye).

I'm also slightly jaundiced as the i360 people made them remove the Brighton Wheel. Now that was good. I went on that four times and took visitors on it.

EDIT: Ha! Not Andy Naylor HAS gone all Basil Fawlty on me!

Well, if it hadn’t been me it would have been someone else.

The wheel, though? The one with Steve Coogan narration that couldn’t correctly identify which county it was in?

Brovion

NSC Patreon
Jul 6, 2003
Well, if it hadn’t been me it would have been someone else.

The wheel, though? The one with Steve Coogan narration that couldn’t correctly identify which county it was in?

Yeah, I liked it. It also felt more like a 'ride'. My standard tour* guide for new visitors was to take them to the Pavilion, then for a go on the Wheel, and then fish 'n' chips on the pier. Finish off with a walk round the Lanes and some shopping. Brighton in a nutshell.

*Ok, I did that twice.

mikeyjh

Dec 17, 2008
Llanymawddwy
Agreed Wilko; I've been on it 3 times due to visitors staying with us and they all loved it, as did I. But hey, I don't want to spoil the moaners fun...

In fairness, I'm not sure people are moaning per se, people were challenging how appealing it would be and therefore the commercial viability of the thing - Given that the expected visitor levels have not materialised, they would argue that they were right.

Going forward, I find it hard to understand how visitor numbers are going to go up rather than down, some may have been on it multiple times but the likelihood of people going on it more often than they have in the last 18 months is surely slim?

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
Due to disappointing visitor numbers according to The Argus.

Is anyone surprised?

Surely we could have told them that when the project was first suggested.

Tried the Wheel when it was at the seafront, that was pointless, never have and will not consider the toothpick for a visit.

ATFC Seagull

Aberystwyth Town FC
Jul 27, 2004
(North) Portslade
I'm genuinely quite surprised if anyone who lives in the area has been up it and didn't find it interesting. You do get an excellent birds-eye view of the centre of town, as well as being able to see quite far East and West. And you can probably spot your house. I know there's lovely views from parts of the downs as well, but this is very different.

I think it's probably a bit less interesting to those who don't know Brighton very well, but at the same time they won't know that before they go up, and are unlikely to be looking at repeat business. Makes me wonder if they have the marketing wrong - it seems to me (and I am not basing this on any sort of statistical knowledge) that the London day trips and stag/hen dos are as plentiful in the city as ever. Are these people not going on it? If not, why not? You do all sorts of pointless shit when you're on one of these weekends.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patreon
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
British Airways trying to cut costs yet again. Surprise surprise.

Wilko

LUZZING chairs about
Sep 19, 2003
BN1
I'm genuinely quite surprised if anyone who lives in the area has been up it and didn't find it interesting. You do get an excellent birds-eye view of the centre of town, as well as being able to see quite far East and West. And you can probably spot your house. I know there's lovely views from parts of the downs as well, but this is very different.

I think it's probably a bit less interesting to those who don't know Brighton very well, but at the same time they won't know that before they go up, and are unlikely to be looking at repeat business. Makes me wonder if they have the marketing wrong - it seems to me (and I am not basing this on any sort of statistical knowledge) that the London day trips and stag/hen dos are as plentiful in the city as ever. Are these people not going on it? If not, why not? You do all sorts of pointless shit when you're on one of these weekends.

I work at an international college and the students go up it as part of their induction, they were all really impressed, they were fascinated with the pier which for us Brits may be a common sight but for many of them was pretty spectacular all lit up with the rides on the end.

Bry Nylon

Test your smoke alarm
Helpful Moderator
Jul 21, 2003
Playing snooker
Is there any information about the actual footfall?

Originally they predicted about 800,000 pa and I think it went to needing about 400,000 pa to break even. Can't be sure of either of these numbers though.

Anyway £40m and we are still left with a crap leisure center. :lolol:

In the first full year, from August 2016, the i360 had just over 500,000 visitors, significantly fewer than the 800,000 predicted.

The estimate for this year, the second full year, is more likely to be 350,000 to 400,000.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patreon
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
No, no, no.

We were reliably informed on here, by the enlightened ones, that the i360 would be a great Tourist attraction creating literally hundreds of jobs and boosting the Cities economy.

*cough* city's *cough*

May 27, 2014
Littlehampton
Exactamondo.
Whereas Spinnaker Tower is not only aesthetically pleasing from the outside, there's plenty to see from the top.
There's actually a shitload to look at. The one thing that struck me whilst up it was that there was absolutely no effort to point anything out, just adverts to fly with BA to Bali and that.
Agreed with this. I really enjoyed it but they are too busy trying to make it an "experience" and getting you to spend on booze rather than educate you on what there is to see - quite the opposite from the Wheel which had Coogan going through everything and anything.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

Tokyohands

Jan 5, 2017
Tokyo
Oh whoppee fckin dooo another heap of rusting scrap to keep the other one company. Don't they make the seafront look great.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here