Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Official Running Thread

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Incredibly tough in Worthing today. The temperature got up to 25 and it was tough to maintain pace throughout.

The sub 40 pacer went past me at 8k I got myself back up to parity nearing the 9k mark but had nothing left and concentrated on just finishing, as I was seriously close to walking at that point.

Clocked in around 40:08 so very close to my initial goal. Pleased with today's time in those conditions and proud that I managed to grind out the last 2 miles at decent pace when things got tough.

Saw many NSC running faces today [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] who sorted me out a lift.

It was nice to finish the race with coffee and cake basking in today's sunshine.

Fancy a few beers now this afternoon.

Hopefully the Phoenix will give me sub 40 as it seems conditions are conspiring against me after the wind of Brooks and now the Heat of Worthing.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1199065423

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Good efforts at Worthing chaps. I did 50 mins or so on the trails near home and it was boiling and humid too. Whilst it looks nice in all the pictures, not good conditions for fast running....

Simgull

Jan 3, 2013
Hove
44:23 for me this morning, so six seconds up on last year. As everyone says it was really tough in the heat. Got a really bad start and caught in the traffic so I guess could have gone a bit quicker.
Good to meet the legend that is [MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] who may have been the only one to crack sub 40.

Highlight was iced coffee and cake on the beach afterwards!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
44:23 for me this morning, so six seconds up on last year. As everyone says it was really tough in the heat. Got a really bad start and caught in the traffic so I guess could have gone a bit quicker.
Good to meet the legend that is [MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] who may have been the only one to crack sub 40.

Highlight was iced coffee and cake on the beach afterwards!

Only cause I'm so illusive lol. Great to meet you! Well done today!!

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
Incredibly tough in Worthing today. The temperature got up to 25 and it was tough to maintain pace throughout.

The sub 40 pacer went past me at 8k I got myself back up to parity nearing the 9k mark but had nothing left and concentrated on just finishing, as I was seriously close to walking at that point.

Clocked in around 40:08 so very close to my initial goal. Pleased with today's time in those conditions and proud that I managed to grind out the last 2 miles at decent pace when things got tough.

Saw many NSC running faces today [MENTION=13055]Ninja Elephant[/MENTION] [MENTION=26481]downham seagull[/MENTION] [MENTION=474]Mr Blobby[/MENTION] and [MENTION=26634]Simgull[/MENTION] who sorted me out a lift.

It was nice to finish the race with coffee and cake basking in today's sunshine.

Hopefully the Phoenix will give me sub 40 as it seems conditions are conspiring against me after the wind of Brooks and now the Heat of Worthing.

So impressive bud! Bit more speed work and you will smash through 39 let alone 40! Your run was worth low 39's today

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010

Sorry I couldn't make it today. Iced coffee and cake! What's up with you lot? There's a Whetherspoon's in Worthing.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
No excuses from me, just very disappointed today. I started queuing to start at about 9:20, I thought that would be enough to avoid the bulk of the crowd but it wasn't. I had to walk alot of the first half KM because the pace was so ridiculously slow and when I finally crossed past 1km it was already north of 5 minutes. I knew my race was over before I even started the race which is a shame but my preparation was weak. I'm going to get myself right for the Phoenix 10k and throw today's 47:10 in the bin.

Nice medal though.

big nuts

Jan 15, 2011
Hove
Sorry I couldn't make it today. Iced coffee and cake! What's up with you lot? There's a Whetherspoon's in Worthing.

Don't worry it will be mandatory to visit a nearby pub after Phoenix.

Anyone else entered the Brighton Trailblazer 10k Sunday 31st July starting in Woodingdean all of road?

Mr Banana

Tedious chump
Aug 8, 2005
Standing in the way of control
Wheezed through Forest Rec Parkrun in Notts yesterday. A good 'un for anyone ever in the area and fancying a challenge. Starts flat, then a long, steady slope, then a couple of small but nasty hills through a forest. Felt close to death on the final stretch, unaided by a residual curry and several beers, but didn't collapse and received Midlands-twanged admiration for my PB, as I forgot to tell 'em it was on the much easier Hove course.

A really friendly run. They gave away fruit and water at the end. A Forest fan, remarkably, then bought me a drink and let me witter on for an hour without visibly losing his desire to live. Also a notably larger quota of pissheads than there are at Hove Park.

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patreon
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
Well done everyone who did Worthing! I was doing my Level One coaching course up the road at Pallatine Park so can appreciate the heat you had to run in. We spent from 9.30 to 12.15 outside running practice drills and then another hour and a bit in the afternoon. If you weren't running a drill you were generally taking part as many of the pool seemed to be sporting mystery "injuries". The amazing thing was that by the end I was keeping up with some of the visibly tiring youngsters who'd kicked my butt on the Saturday and in the morning. Shows what level of fitness marathon training gives you. Also had a good chat with one of the other guys on running as he'd done Brighton in 3.40.

Back to running without a ball this week. Planning a gentle recovery from the football tomorrow and then hills or intervals on Thursday or Friday depending on when I can get out. All about speed now as Phoenix approaches.

Greg Bobkin

Silver Seagull
May 22, 2012
Well done Worthingites - sounds really tough out there given the conditions. I had a mate who was disappointed with 52, but it was actually his second best 10k time...

Quite pleased I got out early to run - just before it got really hot. Then spent the hot part of the day in a park watching a football tournament. All good fun!

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
Anyone else entered the Brighton Trailblazer 10k Sunday 31st July starting in Woodingdean all of road?

http://brightonsports.co.uk/brighton-trailblazer-run

Not for me. Walked around the Castle Hill Nature Reserve a few times and it's beautiful BUT the path is narrow and the pictures on the website show a big mass of runners. It only opens up near the finish with a lovely grassy stretch rather like a horse gallop. No water station does not make it an ideal summer run.

I wouldn't mind the Bevendean Parkrun this month. If you're interested I could give you a lift. Set a day and I'll be there.

knocky1

Jan 20, 2010
I've done an LT test......anything on a garmin will only be a rough estimate though. The test I did involved a blood sample every 3 minutes whilst on a treadmill at steadily increasing speed. The graph of lactic acid in the blood is quite startling when the threshold is hit - rises very rapidly (think of an elevation chart along the Adur and then up Truleigh Hill [emoji3]). Your 5k pace is about the same as mine so I'd imagine you LT would be similar - I can't find the report but it was 12.8kph I think so your 7.40 estimate of LT sounds about right.

Do you have your 6 training zone paces ? Strava gives you these based on a suitable race time (5k works). Your actual 'threshold' pace is breathing threshold not lactate though. My training zones (yours again will be v similar) based on a 20 min 5k are :

Recovery/ultra pace - >9.00
Easy - 8.06-9.00
Tempo - 6.57-8.05 (half - marathon pace)
Threshold - 6.31-6.57 (5-10k pace)
VO2 Max - 6.07-6.31 (800-1500m intervals)
Anaerobic - <6.06 (sprints)

Took me ages to find this from back in April. Have now copied them down. My slower zones were too slow.

gullshark

Dec 5, 2005
Worthing
Wasn't happy with my Worthing time at all, was aiming for an hour due to 1) not training, 2) becoming a father a week ago and 3) the heat. I limped over the line completely exhausted at 1hr 5mins which is the second worst 10K time I've had since I started running as a fat(ter) bloke. My Garmin claimed my heart rate was in zone 5 for 80% of the race!

dazzer6666

NSC Patreon
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Took me ages to find this from back in April. Have now copied them down. My slower zones were too slow.
Strava gives you the zones...(not sure if only on Premium). Coach told me usual problem for most of us is at both ends - slow stuff not slow enough and fast stuff not fast enough.

Paying the bills

Latest Discussions

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Paying the bills

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here