Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Palace Relegated Whilst We Go Up OR Stay Up to Renew Hostilities?

Which scenario would you prefer

• Brighton promoted, Palace relegated

Votes: 142 76.8%
  • Brighton promoted, Palace stay up

Votes: 43 23.2%

• Total voters

AmexRuislip

Trainee Spy 🕵️‍♂️
Feb 2, 2014
Ruislip
A bit off the wall, but what the hell

This is how I see and want it to happen.
I see a set of kitchen scales, put Chris Hughton on one side, then add fat Sam on the other.
Watch CH go up, up, up, and fat Sam sink to the depths of hell :thumbsup:

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
I originally thought I wanted to play Palace in the top flight, but I was really rooting for Swansea last night so I guess I hope they go down!!!
Of course we were cheering for Swansea. I don't mind if Palace don't go down, but I sure want them to have a shit season.

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea
I'm genuinely torn.

Whilst I'd be delighted with either scenario, weighing up whether the chance to beat them on the big stage BUT with the risk that they get the gloating rights is greater than the sheer LOL factor of them being in a division beneath us for the first time in FOREVER is really tough.

I do really want to see our fiercely contested derby played out in the Premier League because I think there are so many people who'd be blown away by just how intense it is. Clueless Premier League fans who've not idea what goes on outside their bubble would get a real eye opener.

But at the same time an entire season of being a whole division higher, on the back of being able to celebrate our glorious promotion whilst their own fans are doubly miserable at their own relegation... that really would be delicious.

All hypothetical obviously, but fun to think about

Silverhatch

Feb 23, 2009
Preston Park
Of course stay up. IF we get promoted, then I'd love to see Sky do a SUPER SUNDAY @ 4pm. The on-screen build up would be a binfest of "It's a MASSIVE rivalry." Jim White would be creaming himself on Talkshite and there'd be loads of expert analysis from all and sundry about the M23 derby and how it all started. They'd have Mullers and Venebles in a cage in a mock up of a UFC megafight. They'd visit the grave of Ron Challis to discover pennies thrown about the headstone. Come on FOOTBALL didn't exist before 1992 - the nation deserves to know.

Nixonator

Feb 8, 2016
Shoreham Beach
Of course stay up. IF we get promoted, then I'd love to see Sky do a SUPER SUNDAY @ 4pm. The on-screen build up would be a binfest of "It's a MASSIVE rivalry." Jim White would be creaming himself on Talkshite and there'd be loads of expert analysis from all and sundry about the M23 derby and how it all started. They'd have Mullers and Venebles in a cage in a mock up of a UFC megafight. They'd visit the grave of Ron Challis to discover pennies thrown about the headstone. Come on FOOTBALL didn't exist before 1992 - the nation deserves to know.

More likely to simply state 'it's a bit of a weird derby' before moving onto the important stuff, like that week's guardiola and mourinho post-match interviews.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
I would think that Sam will keep them up unfortunately .

Sadly I think you are right. Plus we still have half a season to go.

Regardless of our situation a Palace relegation will always be celebrated.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Renew hostilities for me, its all about good days out and thats a couple of crackers

Besides.... there is actually more chance of Palace staying up and us not going up i suspect even now.

Palace away ceased to be a good day out a long time ago. It is a bubble game, their ground is a shithole, and we've won once there since about 1982. Additionally, it's high time they served some time watching some proper rubbish, so a tumble into league one for them can't come soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

The next time we play them, I want it to be in the cup, with them as the plucky league one underdogs, bringing 5,000 (their league average) to the Amex, getting spanked SIX nil and unable to get home until after midnight thanks to some ridiculous over-policing.

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
Palace down without a shadow of doubt for me. Can't remember the last time we were in a higher division than them - no doubt someone will correct me, but could it even be as long ago as '83?

theboybilly

They're both good options, because they both have BRIGHTON GET PROMOTED in them. Beyond that, whatever will be will be :)

I originally thought I wanted to play Palace in the top flight, but I was really rooting for Swansea last night so I guess I hope they go down!!!

Whatever the future holds for the Albion I'd like Palace relegated. Either way I wouldn't go to any match at Selhurst again as it's too much hassle, there's not a decent pub within miles and the away section is (as is the whole ground) a cesspit

Brian Fantana

Oct 8, 2006
In the field
You'd know that if we were both in the PL that they'd scrape 6 points off us - it's just the way of the world. Based on that, I'd be quite happy to wave at them on the way down.

edna krabappel

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
To be honest, I look at this thread title and only imagine some of their tools bouncing it come May if we don't go up.... :ohmy:

However, let's say we did actually manage to get promoted.

Personally, having given it some thought, my favoured scenario then is for Palace to stay up this time around, and for them to endure yet another season of miserable struggle, playing horrendous ugly hoof-ball and struggling to score, in front of falling crowds. Then I'd like the fixtures to fall kindly enough for us to play them at the critical point, thus enabling us to beat them- whether handsomely or by a horrendously flukey goal borne of a terrible refereeing blunder- thereby formally confirming their relegation and sending them sobbing hilariously back from whence they came.

This would all be live on SkySports, of course, thus affording us an endless range of teary fan shots on our TV screens, and providing many months worth of comedy gifs and memes . I'm just torn between wanting this to be at the Amex, with 28,000 or so of us enjoying the resultant schadenfreude, or at Selhurst, which would be possibly even funnier.

Am I being greedy?

pasty

A different kind of pasty
Jul 5, 2003
West, West, West Sussex
To be honest, I look at this thread title and only imagine some of their tools bouncing it come May if we don't go up.... :ohmy:

Personally, having given it some thought, my favoured scenario then is for Palace to stay up this time around, and for them to endure yet another season of miserable struggle, playing horrendous ugly hoof-ball and struggling to score, in front of falling crowds. Then I'd like the fixtures to fall kindly enough for us to play them at the critical point, thus enabling us to beat them- whether handsomely or by a horrendously flukey goal borne of a terrible refereeing blunder- thereby formally confirming their relegation and sending them sobbing hilariously back from whence they came.

This would all be live on SkySports, of course, thus affording us an endless range of teary fan shots on our TV screens, and providing many months worth of comedy gifs and memes . I'm just torn between wanting this to be at the Amex, with 28,000 or so of us enjoying the resultant schadenfreude, or at Selhurst, which would be possibly even funnier.

Am I being greedy?

All fair points, and a deliciously enticing scenario. BUT (say it quietly) have you considered the risk of the reverse happening? Them beating us to send us down?

Colossal Squid

Returning video tapes
Feb 11, 2010
Under the sea

Am I being greedy?

In reference to your first point this thread is STRICTLY a hypothetical scenario and does not constitute any form of expectation regarding the Albion's fortunes this season or any other.

In reference to your second point, actually condemning Palace to relegation is perhaps the ONLY thing that could possibly undo the pain of THAT Playoff game, so I'm all for it.

If the football gods granted you one wish, which was allowed to be quite a convoluted dream scenario kind of a wish, I think a season that culminated in our sending the Palace down would surely be tough to beat

Bob'n'weave

Nov 18, 2016
Nr Lewes

Am I being greedy?

An Albion fans wet dream. Love it. :drool:

FatSuperman

Feb 25, 2016
Am I being greedy?

Not at all! After their relegation at our hands, the American investors depart, leaving the club in financial ruin, and the same infrastructure. They then move into administration again, are docked points and fall through the leagues.

Seriously though, I think I'd prefer them to go down, I'd be most disappointed that such a dire performance isn't punished appropriately.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here