Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

New Year's Honours 2017

Prince Monolulu

Everything in Moderation
Oct 2, 2013
The Race Hill
Victoria Beckham has a successful fashion business, which is bringing in lots of money to the UK. She also does a lot of work for charity along with David. Not every celebrity advertises their charitable work.

Agreed, you never hear Posh making a song and dance about her charidee efforts.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
What a ridiculous and pathetic system. Sports stars earn outrageous amounts of money and are recognised for their achievements by winning cups and medals. They do not need knighthoods, OBEs and the such like. The civil servants on the list are cronies of the government. They are merely doing their jobs and do not warrant this kind of recognition. The whole sad thing needs a complete overhaul.

what a depressing view. non-football sportman dont necessaryily earn large amounts, many arent even professional and thats only come about in the past decade or so. why no award them a free gong for doing well representing the nation? civil servents arent cronies of the government by definition, they get there and stay there indepedent of who is in government. some gongs go with the job, why does it bother anyone? i'd hazard a guess you dont know how the system works to say it warrants an overhaul. vast majority go to ordinary people for charity and good works, is that so terrible? maybe just anyone slightly famous cant have one?

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I'm surprised that Wayne Rooney hasn't been knighted for his services to Manchester and England :shrug: :lol:

If he was world class maybe we would?

downham seagull

Dec 6, 2012
Norfolk
What a ridiculous and pathetic system. Sports stars earn outrageous amounts of money and are recognised for their achievements by winning cups and medals. They do not need knighthoods, OBEs and the such like. The civil servants on the list are cronies of the government. They are merely doing their jobs and do not warrant this kind of recognition. The whole sad thing needs a complete overhaul.

If they did it just for the money they would not be at the top of their chosen sport. It's not a job it's a lifetime of dedication to be the absolute best in the world. This is why these people get the awards they derseve.

goldstone

Jul 5, 2003
If they did it just for the money they would not be at the top of their chosen sport. It's not a job it's a lifetime of dedication to be the absolute best in the world. This is why these people get the awards they derseve.

The awards they deserve are the medals they win. Period.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Bit harsh but I think some aspects do need an overhaul. The "E" in OBE, MBE etc is a bit of a joke, the Empire died long ago, its pretty cringeworthy

That said the way the country is going it may soon be Order of England, so maybe keep the "E" for a couple more years and see how things play out

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
It may be my memory playing up but didnt Ken Dodd get done for tax dodging. Pleading ignorance as a defence I believe? Does this merit a knighthood now? p.s.) like others I thought he was already dead.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here