Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Help] Consumer advice - Treadmills/running machines

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Treadmill running does have its place in training, particularly in the winter when dark mornings and evenings can limit your opportunities. However, as already mentioned, it can get tedious. The best way to alleviate this in my experience is to do 20-30 minute sessions of intense interval running - eg 2 mins fast, 1 min slow repeated 8-10 times. Again, this would need a treadmill with a bit of oomph to facilitate the fast intervals. Commercials gym treadmills can have speeds of up to 24kph and I don’t think I’d bother with a home one unless it had a top speed approaching 19-20kph.
Agreed.....just about ok for intervals, at least instills discipline in terms of speed and time, and is obviously much better than nothing. I can happily plod for hours outdoors but if I try it on a treadmill I lose all interest after 30 mins max. I did an hour this morning (in a hotel again) but that consisted of a warm up and then 4 x 1 mile intervals with short recoveries, then a cool-down jog.

Although it's physiologically easier, I actually find treadmill running harder. No way, for example, I can match my parkrun pace on a tready.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

MJsGhost

Remembers
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
I bought a second hand one just over a year ago. I only paid £100. The one I got is nothing fancy and has no incline feature and no bluetooth connection. It just goes on the flat and runs from 0.8 MPH to 12 MPH.

I have used it pretty much every day for 14 months now. I have slowly built up my fitness and I have managed to loose over 4 stone in weight.

I don't think the type of running machine is that important, its more about having the inclination to use it.

:clap2:

5ways

Sep 18, 2012
Be aware that treadmill running is quite different from a physiological perspective as well. In layman’s terms, as the belt moves below you, your running style becomes more one of just falling forward to stay ahead of the belt, and you use considerably less drive from the hips and thighs, compared to road running, as a result. It’s a strange one to describe, but you cannot exist solely on treadmill running, because if you did, when it came to road running you would find it quite tough going because you have not developed the same drive from the waist/hips, and quads.

I guess this is why it feels a little like cheating. I can run and run on a treadmill at a pretty quick pace, I don't know the mph but on about level 15-17 out of 20 and get very sweaty but I don't know if it actually making me much fitter.

timbha

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
I guess this is why it feels a little like cheating. I can run and run on a treadmill at a pretty quick pace, I don't know the mph but on about level 15-17 out of 20 and get very sweaty but I don't know if it actually making me much fitter.

I think level 16 is 16 km (or 6 miles) per hour, ie 6 minute mile

Badger

NOT the Honey Badger
NSC Patron
May 8, 2007
Toronto
Although it's physiologically easier, I actually find treadmill running harder. No way, for example, I can match my parkrun pace on a tready.

I think that also comes down to not being able to make the subtle adjustments to your pace you do when you run outside. Being able to slow down or speed up without thinking about, even just for a few seconds, really makes a difference.

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
I have a couple of treadmill/ cloth hangers things taking up space, one is very basic which is also a cycling machine, £10, the other is a quite flash one, with all the computer and stuff, but no manual, £30, needs to be collected from Worthing/ Lancing, or can drop off if local, (the flash one is massive...)

Guinness Boy

Tofu eating wokerati
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Jul 23, 2003
Up and Coming Sunny Portslade
I hate treadmills. If they were the only way to exercise I'd rather be 25 stone.

Currently training for Brighton Half and the one time I had to use the dreadmill it lasted 20 minutes, after which I vowed never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
If it’s safe it’s far better and cheaper to run outside. Lots of us out there at all standards!!

Quite. But if you can't run any more due to knee ligaments that have turned to thin bacon rind, you need to cycle or use a cross trainer. Also if, like me, you have the attention span of a goldfish or small child, you'll get bored pretty soon. The general solution is to join a gym. I did recently and spend no more than 5 minutes on a range of machines, yet in the last few weeks I have become absolutely transformed:

look at this.jpg

pauli cee

Jan 21, 2009
worthing
Quite. But if you can't run any more due to knee ligaments that have turned to thin bacon rind, you need to cycle or use a cross trainer. Also if, like me, you have the attention span of a goldfish or small child, you'll get bored pretty soon. The general solution is to join a gym. I did recently and spend no more than 5 minutes on a range of machines, yet in the last few weeks I have become absolutely transformed:

View attachment 94438

nice tits:blush::blush::blush::blush:

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
I can understand someone may not be happy or confident running the streets on their own. A treadmill is a useful if not perfect alternative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here