Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Barber's Deadline Day Disappointment

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
There is a difference between 'what you can afford' and 'doing it on the cheap'.

Doing it on the cheap, while a throw away statement to you, suggests you have the resources to do otherwise, but in order to save costs we're actively going for a cheaper deal.

What you can afford is simply that, if you have a budget of X, then the player you bring in has to be to the value of X or lower.

Makes me a bit mad to think that someone who has pumped in millions of their personal fortune, building a top quality stadium, a training facility, given us hope and a future, AND YET, you still get people who happily say crap like you are.

It is frustrating we probably cannot afford the striker we want, but to say we're doing it on the cheap, I find that pretty ignorant to be honest.

You are probably correct and my post was borne out of frustration.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
But what is going to attract them, 'cos it don't seem to be working? :

Check

what was it that attracted you to a sell out crowd, Knockaert banging em in, Hughton as manager, wage bill bigger than turnover, best training ground in country, PL Brighton and Hove Albion ?

I’d recommend they steer clear of this thread for starters !

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Too soon to panic. The window's only just opened and no other PL club has been able to bring in new players yet.

Without wanting to sound too hysterical, no it hasn’t just opened. The January window is 31 days long, we’re towards the end of day 18. We’ve got 12 days to bolster this squad or, IMO, we’re screwed.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
Stoke - just got a left back.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Glenn Murray - what was it that attracted you to a sell out crowd, Knockaert banging em in, Hughton as manager, wage bill bigger than turnover, best training ground in country,promotion candidates Brighton and Hove Albion ?

A: nope. I live near by. That’s it. Nothing else.

Good grief !

Jordon Rhodes never mentioned money when he joined Middlesborough or Massive, so that can’t have been any motivation in his choice !

Also weird that Tammy Abraham didn’t mention the fact Swansea gave him £1m and we wouldn’t in his statement when he joined? Or when Vydra went to Reading over us he never said it was because they offered more money? Maybe he just liked the shopping in Slough..

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
Jordon Rhodes never mentioned money when he joined Middlesborough or Massive, so that can’t have been any motivation in his choice !

Also weird that Tammy Abraham didn’t mention the fact Swansea gave him £1m and we wouldn’t in his statement when he joined? Or when Vydra went to Reading over us he never said it was because they offered more money? Maybe he just liked the shopping in Slough..

Blimey , you really are convinced we will never sign a player again. Fair enough.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
Blimey , you really are convinced we will never sign a player again. Fair enough.

Not at all. I'm just surprised by the lack of long term planning in the striker department. Brighton has always done well to have a successor lined up in positions for when players move on for whatever reason. With a bit of overlap to 'bed' players in or whatever. Except strikers in recent years.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
Stoke, Huddersfield, Leicester, Everton, Burnley.
Stoke – a couple of full backs and an U23
Huddersfield – a defender sent out on loan from Monaco, and Pritchard
Leicester – probably the only genuine one you could say 'I wonder if we could have got him'...
Everton – Walcott, never in our market
Burnley – Spurs loanee

Other than Fousseni Diabaté, a striker from Ligue 2 for Leicester, its fair to say, not a lot has happened for anyone really in terms of what we're looking for. If a load of clubs were signing strikers, then you really would have alarm bells ringing.

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Watford, palace, Southampton, Newcastle, West Ham, Swansea , Burnley (not on this list anyway), and Brighton haven’t made any permanent signings of greater than £1m in this window.

https://www.theguardian.com/footbal...y-2018-every-deal-in-europes-top-five-leagues

That’s lovely, but the question was name a club outside of the top 6 that’s made a signing. That’s precisely what I did, also, Burnley have made a loan signing so don’t try and make out that it doesn’t count as I’m quite sure you included Izzy Brown as a signing for us.

chaileyjem

#BarberIn
NSC Patron
Jun 27, 2012
That’s lovely, but the question was name a club outside of the top 6 that’s made a signing. That’s precisely what I did, also, Burnley have made a loan signing so don’t try and make out that it doesn’t count as I’m quite sure you included Izzy Brown as a signing for us.

I think your point is somehow that Albion aren’t up to speed and everyone else is. Not sure that the handful of signings elsewhere stands that up but yep you’re right. Stoke and Burnley and Hudds have some new players.

Last edited:

DarrenFreemansPerm

⭐️⭐️⭐️⭐️
Sep 28, 2010
Shoreham
Stoke – a couple of full backs and an U23
Huddersfield – a defender sent out on loan from Monaco, and Pritchard
Leicester – probably the only genuine one you could say 'I wonder if we could have got him'...
Everton – Walcott, never in our market
Burnley – Spurs loanee

Other than Fousseni Diabaté, a striker from Ligue 2 for Leicester, its fair to say, not a lot has happened for anyone really in terms of what we're looking for. If a load of clubs were signing strikers, then you really would have alarm bells ringing.

Conveniently forgetting Everton spent £27m on a Turkish international striker? And why are you trying to discard those signings as if they’re irrelevant. Stoke have been crap defensively, they’ve signed 3 defenders, 2 of which are internationals. Also worth noting we don’t just need a striker so that comment is a moot point.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here