Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Goodbye Goldstone Meridian Debate Video

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
Asset stripping continues in these circs right until the existence of the business is no more...The book will explain plenty for you.
I'm really struggling to understand how and why you are being so defensive of the actions those people took?

As I said in an earlier comment "My only interest in this is what the actual alternatives were, not the personal conflict. "

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...Debate-Video&p=8068642&viewfull=1#post8068642

I will check the book out but the basics have to make sense too. There are lots of things that we all don't know about running a club 20 years ago. Which is why I am talking about the alternative options we had at the time, not specifically about what Archer did.

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing
As I said in an earlier comment "My only interest in this is what the actual alternatives were, not the personal conflict. "

http://www.northstandchat.com/showt...Debate-Video&p=8068642&viewfull=1#post8068642

I will check the book out but the basics have to make sense too. There are lots of things that we all don't know about running a club 20 years ago. Which is why I am talking about the alternative options we had at the time, not specifically about what Archer did.

Fair enough. I agree, having had my own exposure to what goes on 'in the background' of football clubs around 12 years or so ago (for better and for worse!)... so yes it's important to gain as much info as you can about the whole scenario.
Have fun!

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Because he thought there was a shilling or two left probably.

I think it was out of pure spite. For example, he'd go away on holiday when he was meant to be finalising the sale. He dragged his feet out of revenge to the fans who took direct action against him in my opinion.

symyjym

Banned
Nov 2, 2009
Brighton / Hove actually
The alternatives were shown to be completely unviable during the planning enquiry for Falmer for various reasons. Numerous links via google...

http://www.brighton-hove.gov.uk/con...t.com/showthread.php?39859-New-public-enquiry ad infinitum

See also the Ed Bassford tribute threads on NSC for further links to the planning enquiry somewhere

Link doesn't work.

I can't really search on NSC for specific details but I seem to remember the water table and the tunnel being too close to the stop being an issue. However this is more just down to our Brighton Council being the Brighton Council more than it being unviable. If the water table was such an issue, the A23 would be under water every time it rained.

Bevendean Hillbilly

Sep 4, 2006
Nestling in green nowhere
Bloody hell.. what a great find.

Took me right back. Great to see that Bournemouth were represented there as a much smaller club than us, and now look at us both.

When I think back to those dark days and all of the despair and misery it seems like a totally different planet.

If I was a JCL, one of those who stood back and shrugged...right up to the withdean era and then deciding to jump aboard as the foundations of Falmer went in Id be looking at myself in the mirror with a tad of self loathing.

Obviously we needed the new fans to fill our lovely new stadium but there's a lot of the new intake (kids excluded...I'm talking about the ones 30 plus) who should watch these videos and think on. Where were you when we were shit.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
That's the exact point. If he had got Toads Hall or Waterhall that would have been the money he would have had to have used towards a new stadium. He didn't have the backing of fans to get a new stadium though, we wanted him out so he left with the profit. Was this his intention or was it a self fulfilled prophecy due to the angst? Everyone was against him so finding a new site when he was at the helm would have made it impossible. He of course had to go at this point.

If we are saying that it was an intentional plan to run off with the loot, why would he have fought to keep a club that he had already robbed, and was worth nothing. The perfect crime would have been to just give the club to Knight because the crime had already been committed. To stay at a place you have robbed would be the work of a very stupid conman surely?

Sorry mate. That is all bollocks.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

I can sympathise with your musings but I'd give it a rest. I work with psychopaths (very common in the unregulated world of medical reearch, where the only measure of esteem is the ability to raise research income, and few findings are verified by replication). The successful ones mostly escape notice, which is how they succeed. A good psychopath, as Machiavelli explained in The Prince, only kills people (and things like football clubs) when it is necessary (in his mind). But they do kill, and our club was in his sights. There is nothing of any virtue in the man, because he was a self-serving ****, willing to do anything he could get away with to make a shilling.

colinz

Banned
Oct 17, 2010
Auckland

The alternative was placing the club into receivership. But even that wasn't possible at the time.

My understanding is that it was July 1995 when it was discovered that the ground had been sold, and that the Article of Association had been changed in 1993 not long after Archer & Stanley took over the club.

If Archer had honorable intentions, the club should have been placed into receivership in 1993, before the meddling with the club's constitution.
But obviously the Club was then a viable entity. It's income covered it's debt payments.

The club's debt crisis had worsened considerably leading up to 95/97. That would have been the responsibility of Archer and Stanley and they should have paid for that debt increase, with their own money writing off the 800K they'd put into the club.

If the club was placed into receivership in 1997 it probably would have ceased to exist, because the ground had been sold some 2-4 years previously.

Edit : another thought, if they'd already sold the ground some years earlier, how long were the club still servicing the large debt after the agreed sale, how long did it take for the sale to become unconditional and Chartwell gain possession ?

Imagine you discovered that a relative had decided to sell your house from under you to a friend of their's who were happy to land bank it, 2 years before you'd found out. And had changed your name on the title deed.
Their explanation being, we decided to sell your house because your mortgage was to high, we had this nice bit of land we could get cheap to build you a new house, but it wasn't until after we sold your house we discovered we couldn't get planning permission, and over the last 2 years the market has picked up so now you haven't even got a deposit to buy else where.
We kept the surplus because of the money we had previously lent to you, that had increased owing to the high interest rate we charged you.

Last edited:

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Link doesn't work.

I can't really search on NSC for specific details but I seem to remember the water table and the tunnel being too close to the stop being an issue. However this is more just down to our Brighton Council being the Brighton Council more than it being unviable. If the water table was such an issue, the A23 would be under water every time it rained.

Brighton council were never against us having a new stadium. When we applied for planning permission in 2002, it was passed by11 votes to 1. The government called it in for a public enquiry because Falmer was in an area of outstanding natural beauty, at the time. The AONB was designated before thr unis were built, & was going to re-designated when the South Downs national park was granted, but objections were lodged in the interim by Falmer parish council and Lewes district council.

Brighton council were never to blame. When the Goldstone was sold, it was at the time of Hove council, before 2000, when we became a city.

There were no alternatives, but there were lots of lies & false promises so the money could be obtained.

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
No. I know the story as the story was written in the news at the time and since. Just like I know Dick Knights story without buying his book Mad Man, or even reading Blooms future book..

You clearly don't know the story as you seem to be re-writing it.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
Whatever the actual debt was we were under pressure to pay the £millions that season. I can't remember exactly how it went but he sold it to himself to cover the immediate debt. That would have given him time to sell it to the highest bidder on the market so when he sold it and made a profit of say £13m, that would have given him enough money to spend on a new stadium at a new site. Riverside Stadium cost £16.m in 1995.

The Goldstone Ground back in the day when all standing was great, but the East Stand made it impossible long term. To have actually continued usage of it, all stands would have had to have been demolished and the Withdean seating setup without roofs would have been the only temporary solution. So if that was an option we would have still had to have raised the debt money to stop a winding up order, plus basic refurbishment to league requirements totalled could have cost £10m, so we still would have had to raise £10m. £10m back in 97 would be like £50m in today's money or even more.

Please read what i wrote. We were not under external pressure to sell the ground. The debt only became called upon because of the sale

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Over 6000 views. I knew I should have added an ad. I could have bought an Albion Hat-trick lottery ticket or something with the proceeds. I could be getting free entry to the Sea Life Centre as we speak.

Hindsight is such a fickle mistress. :tantrum:

Cheshire Cat

The most curious thing..

zeytoun

Mar 25, 2012
Over 6000 views. I knew I should have added an ad. I could have bought an Albion Hat-trick lottery ticket or something with the proceeds. I could be getting free entry to the Sea Life Centre as we speak.

Hindsight is such a fickle mistress. :tantrum:
I think you should be recouping from Lombard Direct and Neurofen, those mid 90s ads definitely got me itching for my wallet...

Shame that Lombard Direct went under back in 2009... there's that fickle friend again.

Sent from my SM-A800I using Tapatalk

Dick Swiveller

Sep 9, 2011
Without wanting to go all Timmy Clickbait, It saddens me that this video has more than 2 times the views of my Fans United videos that tell the story of the last 2 years of the Goldstone through local news reports. There is also Lord B on the Politics show and a raft of season reviews and other videos.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCb6icaJZIU_giMN4v4yiR4w/videos?sort=dd&view=0&shelf_id=0

I feel dirty pushing my channel but this thread shows that my original links were missed by quite a few. They aren't ad supported and I'm not looking for clicks/numbers but it is a way of showing people who missed the original links a chance to see stuff they might be interested in. And feel free to ignore the retro computer stuff!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here