Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Bournemouth bid £20million for Demarai Gray

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
IMPOSSIBLE, THEY HAVE A TINY STADIUM. No way could they have saved a little from each season and roll it forward.

Are you joking?

Bournemouth's 2015/16 accounts showed a turnover of £88m and they made a profit. That included £75m of broadcasting money and £5m of matchday income.

For 2016/17 their broadcasting income alone would have risen by a minimum of £25m to at least £100m.

We make £11m a year from matchday income.

So these days being in the PL and its TV money determines everything, unless you're Arsenal and can charge £2,000 a s/t.

That's how Bournemouth can afford these big player investments.

Don Quixote

Nov 4, 2008
They've got to spend big because no players would go there otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

stevejoneslegend

Jan 20, 2011
Are you joking?

Bournemouth's 2015/16 accounts showed a turnover of £88m and they made a profit. That included £75m of broadcasting money and £5m of matchday income.

For 2016/17 their broadcasting income alone would have risen by a minimum of £25m to at least £100m.

So these days being in the PL and its TV money determines everything, unless you're Arsenal and can charge £2,000 a s/t.

Thank you... At last someone understands that income from our 'tiny ground' is irrelevant... OK, so no one is going to turn down an increased revenue generated from a bigger ground, but in the grand scheme of things, the club can survive, spending wisely, on TV and PL money...

Now on to some other points...

In terms of why Gray would leave Leicester for us... Because he'd play a lot more for us than he currently is at Leicester... Personally, I don't think we need him as in a rejuvenated Maxi Gradel, and several others, it's an area of the park I think we're strong enough in...

As for Defoe earning £100k a week, I think you've just looked at several reports, plucked the highest figure you've found and jumped on that... There is no way on this planet we would be paying that on a permanent deal... The realistic figure is more around £60k a week, which was quoted several times at the time of his actual signing... So roughly £6m a year for a current England striker...!!!

RE the ground... 20-25k in season 20/21. So almost 3 years to the day is the 'hope' that we'll be in... Me personally I also think this is highly ambitious, but the council are at last fully behind us and the site has officially been named. The current athletics stadium is being relocated and we're to have that site, which is about 300yds away for the current DC.

https://www.afcb.co.uk/news/club-news/new-stadium-site-identified

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/15410233.amp/

We're hoping that planning will be pushed through quickly next year and building can begin towards the end of 2018... It needs to...

Finally...
They've got to spend big because no players would go there otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ake, Wilshire, Begovic and Defoe seem to think differently... All have cost a grand sum of £38m (ish)

Last edited:

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Thank you... At last someone understands that income from our 'tiny ground' is irrelevant... OK, so no one is going to turn down an increased revenue generated from a bigger ground, but in the grand scheme of things, the club can survive, spending wisely, on TV and PL money...

In terms of why Gray would leave Leicester for us... Because he'd play a lot more for us than he currently is at Leicester... Personally, I don't think we need him as in a rejuvenated Maxi Gradel, and several others, it's an area of the park I think we're strong enough in...

As for Defoe earning £100k a week, I think you've just looked at several reports, plucked the highest figure you've found and jumped on that... There is no way on this planet we would be paying that on a permanent deal... The realistic figure is more around £60k a week, which was quoted several times at the time of his actual signing... So roughly £6m a year for a current England striker...!!!

RE the ground... 20-25k in season 20/21. So almost 3 years to the day is the 'hope' that we'll be in... Me personally I also think this is highly ambitious, but the council are at last fully behind us and the site has officially been named. The current athletics stadium is being relocated and we're to have that site, which is about 300yds away for the current DC.

We're hoping that planning will be pushed through quickly next year and building can begin towards the end of 2018... It needs to...

Finally...

Ake, Wilshire, Begovic and Defoe seem to think differently... All have cost a grand sum of £38 (ish)

£38 or £38m?

Notters

Oct 20, 2003
Guiseley
Ambitious owners.

Recognising that its far better to have an annual income stream of £130m instead of £25m.

Remember that transfer fees in accounting terms are spread over the term of the contract, and in cash flow terms after often paid over more than one year if substantial. Both making a few such transfers very doable, when your income is £130m year after year.

Are you insinuating that Bloom isn't ambitious? As to me he's the very definition of ambitious!

GreersElbow

Jan 5, 2012
A Northern Outpost
Are you joking?

I am clearly joking.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
I confess to being very jealous of the fantastic ride Bournemouth fans are on. They play great football and spend what is needed, they are in dreamland.

I'd love us to us to be able to emulate them.

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I confess to being very jealous of the fantastic ride Bournemouth fans are on. They play great football and spend what is needed, they are in dreamland.

I'd love us to us to be able to emulate them.

And once you get a roll going of £100m in from broadcasting year after year, unless you do a Villa, the whole thing becomes self perpetuating.

Who would have thought say 8 years ago that Stains, Palace and Bournemouth woudl ALL be mid table PL teams, and able to beat the likes of Liverpool and Arsenal?

Reginald Lorenzo

Dec 13, 2014
The money bit is easy now. Hate us or not, Eddie Howe has clearly built something good. Anyone can throw money at a football team but it doesn't always stick. Villa and Leeds being a couple of examples.

I think the worry is what happens to us when Eddie goes.

But for now we're doing ok and the football really has been enjoyable. I've been there when on and off pitch times were absolutely awful so I'm enjoying what we have.

ps. I was surprised it took three pages before one of you mentioned your infrastructure!

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
The money bit is easy now. Hate us or not, Eddie Howe has clearly built something good. Anyone can throw money at a football team but it doesn't always stick. Villa and Leeds being a couple of examples.

But for now we're doing ok and the football really has been enjoyable. I've been there when on and off pitch times were absolutely awful so I'm enjoying what we have.

ps. I was surprised it took three pages before one of you mentioned your infrastructure!

Infrastructure wins games of football, didn't you know!

sir albion

Jan 6, 2007
SWINDON
How can a club that earns a minimum of £100m per year afford to bid £20m? Does that question really need answering?
I'd say the likes of Man City are worse surely.....If it's 100 million odd and a bit more for others then paying 40-50 million for a player seems insane.

We pay 5 million max seems hilarious compared to the rest :)

Enjoy the good times - they are short for most footie fans. At least we have a shiny stadium when we will inevitably get relegated. What plans are there for a new or expanding ground & realistically what size crowds could you accommodate week in week out in the Prem

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways

Finally...

Ake, Wilshire, Begovic and Defoe seem to think differently... All have cost a grand sum of £38m (ish)

You keep on saying that Defoe is not on £120k a week, and the figure is more like £60k, and then you say he'll be earning £6m a year which by my maths equates to £120k per week.

So is it that Bournemouth have got more money than sense; can't do maths; both; or something else?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here